iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Check My Numbers Please (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/check-my-numbers-please-372151.html)

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 03:42 PM

Check My Numbers Please

Tow Vehicle:

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser
GVWR = 7385 lbs
GAWR = 7895 lbs
Curb Weight = 6260 (LC, full tank of gas, and me)

Trailer:

2018 ORV Creekside 21 DBS
Dry Weight = 5295 lbs
Hitch Weight = 695 lbs
*these are specs on manufacturer website, unit not built yet

GAWR minus Curb Weight leaves 1635 lbs for hitch, wife, and kids?

325BH 12-22-2017 04:10 PM

Check My Numbers Please

Using your numbers, the GVWR is 7,385 and the actual is 6260. I would argue you need to forget about the ďcurb weight ď spec and actually weigh your Land Cruiser, however... if we use the 6,260 number, that leaves 1,125 for hitch, tongue weight, wife kids, and anything else you want to bring in the truck.

Without actually weighing, i would use 15% of the trailerís GVWR to determine tongue weight. Online, i see 6,995 as max trailer weight. Using 15% for tongue weight, that is 1,050 lbs.

1,125 minus 1,050 leaves you with 75 lbs for wife, kids, dog, gear etc. That is using the ďcurb weight ď number which I would bet is not entirely accurate. You really need to weigh your Land Cruiser.

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 04:25 PM

6260 is the weight of the LC with a full tank of gas and me sitting in it.

"Curb Weight = 6260 (LC, full tank of gas, and me)"

I filled up the tank and took it to a scale today.

I am so confused...doesn't GAWR suggest that the axles can handle 7895? Why the 500 lb discrepancy?

Mich F 12-22-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo (Post 3956169)
Tow Vehicle:

GAWR minus Curb Weight leaves 1635 lbs for hitch, wife, and kids?

No - you want to deduct your curb weight (assuming you had it weighed and that is a real world number) from your GVWR, not your GAWR. For whatever reason or reasons (tires , suspension, drive train?) your GVWR is considerably less than your GAWR.

(Didn't see your post #3 before I posted)

JohnBoyToo 12-22-2017 04:43 PM

You should have individual wheel weights since one side or corner could be much heavier...
but barring that, you at least need individual axle ratings to compare to each of your axle weights as a starter... i.e. you should have two GAWR ratings.

You are correct - your GVWR minus actual weight is your Cargo Carrying Capacity... BUT, you will have to include tongue weight once the rv is hooked up...

weght one time with just the tow vehicle and one time with the trailer to know what your true tongue weight is...

9 times out of 10, the mfg specs are wrong... in your example, a 6000 lb tt will probably have a TW of about 15 to 20% of the weight, so more than 695... good luck !

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 06:46 PM

I stopped at a Toyota dealership on the way home and looked at a 2017 Tundra. According to the sticker on the pillar the Tundra’s GVWR is 7,200 lbs. That’s 185 lbs LESS than the Land Cruiser!!!

Am I to understand that a 25 foot travel trailer (ladder to hitch) with a max weight of 6995 lbs can’t legally be pulled by a Tundra? It requires an HD diesel????

xrated 12-22-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo (Post 3956340)
I stopped at a Toyota dealership on the way home and looked at a 2017 Tundra. According to the sticker on the pillar the Tundraís GVWR is 7,200 lbs. Thatís 185 lbs [B]less[B]than the Land Cruiser!!!

Am I to understand that a 25 foot travel trailer (ladder to hitch) with a max weight of 6995 lbs canít legally be pulled by a Tundra? It requires an HD diesel????

It doesn't require a HD Diesel, but it WILL require that you have enough payload capacity to handle the 13 -15% of the trailer GVWR tongue weight. There are plenty of 3/4T trucks out there that aren't diesel....but have large displacement V8s and the needed payload capacity to do your towing. Trust me, it's a nightmare trying to tow a trailer that has the truck overloaded and one you will not enjoy. Finding a truck with the sufficient amount of payload capacity will make you... :D

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 07:04 PM

Problem is I don’t want to get rid of the Land Cruiser as the whole point of getting this trailer was to get to places where we could do some off roading. Don’t really want the long wheelbase of a pickup.

Now I need to try to get my deposit back from the RV dealership...that should be a blast.

I know I should have figured this out before, but I wish they checked the numbers before selling me something I can’t legally tow. They’re supposed to be the experts.

aether_one 12-22-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo (Post 3956362)
Problem is I donít want to get rid of the Land Cruiser as the whole point of getting this trailer was to get to places where we could do some off roading. Donít really want the long wheelbase of a pickup.

Now I need to try to get my deposit back from the RV dealership...that should be a blast.

I know I should have figured this out before, but I wish they checked the numbers before selling me something I canít legally tow. Theyíre supposed to be the experts.

No, they're supposed to be the salesmen. No way they can be experts on every possible tow vehicle out there. It's up to the buyer to do their own due diligence.

I don't know where you got a GAWR that was higher than the GVWR. GAWR is for an (as in one) axle. You have a front GAWR and a rear GAWR.

Your GVWR minus your loaded curb weight (including wife, kids, gas, dogs, supplies in the vehicle) will show you what tongue weight you can accommodate, but you also need to know the "Combined" weight rating of your tow vehicle which is the sum of the weight of the tow vehicle and the weight of the trailer.

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 08:12 PM

Okay, here are all the numbers on the Toyota:

GVWR = 7,385
GAWR (front) = 3,595
GAWR (rear) = 4,300
GCWR = 14,400
TWR = 8,100
Unbraked TWR = 1,000
Recommended tongue weight by Toyota = 9 - 11%
Curb Weight = 6,260 (weighed today with me and full tank)

Estimated numbers on the trailer:

Dry Weight = 5,295
Hitch Dry Weight = 695
Maximum Trailer Weight = 6,995

Dropthejacks 12-22-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo (Post 3956362)
I know I should have figured this out before, but I wish they checked the numbers before selling me something I can’t legally tow. They’re supposed to be the experts.

Rule #1 of buying an RV-Do not believe the RV salesman when he says, "Oh yea, you can tow this one. No problem." They do not care once you sign the dotted line and leave the lot.

Rule #2 of buying an RV-Do not believe the truck salesman when he says, "Oh yea, you can tow a house with this thing." They do not care once you sign the dotted line and leave the lot.

The Land Cruiser is a cool vehicle, and awesome for doing some off-roading, but it wasn't really designed as a towing vehicle. The Tundra does good, but you can't really expect it to do anymore than any other 1500 pickup, and most 1500s would be maxed out and pushed to hook up to a 7K lb TT and handle it without it being a white-knuckle experience. 7K+ is getting into 2500 territory unless you are talking about a specialty vehicle like the Ford TowMax. But there you are spending so much money you could have bought the 2500 and gotten more payload. The tow rating on the Land Cruiser is only 8500 lbs, and you need to drop about 20% below that for safety, handling and stopping, which leaves around 6800 lbs for the RV. Gonna have to back off that TT weight, or head to a "Big 3" dealership for more muscle.

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 08:52 PM

So the difference between 6,800 and 6,995 requires going to a 3/4 ton pickup?

I used the LC to tow a Nash with the same max weight (7,000) and a dry hitch weight of 420 from Glacier to Vancouver Island to the Tetons to the desert and everywhere between , over 20,000 miles, with no issues at all. Hard to swallow that a tongue weight difference of 250 lbs suddenly puts me in some sort of danger zone, that’s all.

And ORV clearly states that the Creekside class is designed for SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups.

Oldelevatorman 12-22-2017 09:03 PM

Check My Numbers Please

Forget about dry weights, they are useless. You're not towing an empty trailer!

GoLeafsGo 12-22-2017 09:19 PM

Ugh, I’m just listing whatever numbers I can find, I know what dry weight means.