iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Check My Numbers Please (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/check-my-numbers-please-372151.html)

GoLeafsGo 12-26-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrated (Post 3960948)
And again, you may find that 11% is not enough to prevent trailer sway. Most folks find that 12-13% of the GVWR number works pretty good for the amount of tongue weight to prevent or minimize trailer sway. My toy hauler, the way I load it is right at 11.5% and and the Blue Ox Sway Pro helps keep it under control. Even when I only had 11% on the tongue, it had a tendency to sway except in totally calm wind conditions.

Here is a link for you to click on and read....
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/14265335.cfm

And at the end of the second paragraph....
Note - When the WD system is engaged the actual tongue weight does not change. Recommended tongue weight is from 10% to 15%.

Notice, the author didn't say that the weight is NOT redistributed, he said that the weight didn't change. If you start out with 1000 lbs of tongue weight without the W.D. hitch and then you engage it, you still have a 1000 lbs of tongue weight.

Yes, that's the same article I was reading. I think the confusion comes from "load" vs "weight". In my mind the reason there are weight restrictions on vehicles is that overLOADING certain components by putting too much weight on them can cause failure. As such, distributing the load from the TV rear axle to the TV front axle and TT axles minimizes the possibility of component failure.

As the first entry in the article you referenced states:

Summary of axle load changes:
TV front axle 611.54 lbs ADDED
TV rear axle 911.54 lbs REMOVED
TT axles 300.00 lbs ADDED

It further states that "the WD hitch does not distribute “tongue weight”. It simply removes load from the TV’s rear axle and distributes it to the TV’s front axle and the TT’s axles".

And:

"The UP force of 2000 lbs on the rear ends of the spring bars produces an UP force of 2000 lbs at the hitch end of the spring bars.
The UP force of 2000 lbs minus the DOWN force of 1700 lbs on the ball gives a net UP force of 300 lbs at the hitch.
The vertical load on the receiver has been reduced by 300 lbs.
The vertical load transmitted through the ball has been increased by 1700 lbs".

bobbin 01-08-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo (Post 3961086)
Yes, that's the same article I was reading. I think the confusion comes from "load" vs "weight". In my mind the reason there are weight restrictions on vehicles is that overLOADING certain components by putting too much weight on them can cause failure. As such, distributing the load from the TV rear axle to the TV front axle and TT axles minimizes the possibility of component failure.

As the first entry in the article you referenced states:

Summary of axle load changes:
TV front axle 611.54 lbs ADDED
TV rear axle 911.54 lbs REMOVED
TT axles 300.00 lbs ADDED

It further states that "the WD hitch does not distribute “tongue weight”. It simply removes load from the TV’s rear axle and distributes it to the TV’s front axle and the TT’s axles".

And:

"The UP force of 2000 lbs on the rear ends of the spring bars produces an UP force of 2000 lbs at the hitch end of the spring bars.
The UP force of 2000 lbs minus the DOWN force of 1700 lbs on the ball gives a net UP force of 300 lbs at the hitch.
The vertical load on the receiver has been reduced by 300 lbs.
The vertical load transmitted through the ball has been increased by 1700 lbs".

imho, you are best advised to drop the notion of using your LC as a TV.
reasons:
1/ you are confused over the rated numbers, and between static and dynamic loading
2/ you lack the knowledge to overcome an overloaded TV
3/ the LC was never designed to control a TT of your intended mass and dimensions
4/ the LC mass and wheel base is significantly less than that of the intended TT. this is reason alone to conclude the LC is unsafe for the job.
5/ a WD hitch cannot magically reduce the mass loading of the TT, nor the dynamic vector forces.
6/ yours is an unconventional situation, yet you are applying conventional knowledge and technology.

Could I recommend a solution? yes. But with your lack of experience, I have no assurance you could safely execute, so I shall not advise. Be safe. Drop the notion of LC with a conventional TT. The life you save may be your own.

dayle1 01-09-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbin (Post 3981202)

Bobbin, you must know the OP quite well along with his TV and planned TT to make such direct statements. Hard to discuss all the 'facts' you included, but seems that the majority of rigs have TT's or fivers that weight more than the tow vehicle in front of them.

bobbin 01-09-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayle1 (Post 3981776)
Bobbin, you must know the OP quite well along with his TV and planned TT to make such direct statements. Hard to discuss all the 'facts' you included, but seems that the majority of rigs have TT's or fivers that weight more than the tow vehicle in front of them.

hmm, the "majority" I see do not pull 7000# with SUV fully loaded. have you ever driven an LC? towed with it? I have. not a good towing experience. an LC was never designed for towing, yet the OP wants to push his LC to its very limits. bad idea. and he wants to include wife and kids. worse idea. thus the OP is advised to err on the side of caution and get a TV better suited for towing his rig.

Oldelevatorman 01-09-2018 09:21 PM

Check My Numbers Please

Salesman should certainly know the real numbers so they could assure your safety. But that would require having a conscience and really wanting to help!