iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Fantastic fan motor? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fantastic-fan-motor-373393.html)

Pushrod 01-02-2018 05:46 PM

Fantastic fan motor?

My fantastic fan will not work off the wall switch, however, if I manually crank it open, the fan motor will work as normal. I'm assuming it is either the lift motor or the board. Is it possible to get a schematic for the fan? I have done a resistance check on the wall switch, it is okay, and there is power there. Any suggestions?

cruzbill 01-02-2018 05:49 PM

Call Fantastic Fan, they are fantastic with customer support. Don't even mess with it, call them and they will tell you how to troubleshoot. Have you tried to turn the fan thermostat? If yours has a thermostat.

Pushrod 01-02-2018 06:03 PM

No thermostat, just a three speed and on off switch, which all function. I'll try to contact Fantastic Fan tomorrow.

bobmac 01-02-2018 07:28 PM

There is a switch on the side of the fan casing that that turns the fan on as the lid is raised. That would account for the fan working when you manually raise the lid. Sounds like you have an issue with the motor/gearing that lifts the lid - cant really help you solve the problem. Good luck,

Pushrod 01-03-2018 04:13 PM

Can you get to the switch from inside? I would suspect that is the most obvious culprit, but since it costs less than $5, it may not be. Will try calling FF tomorrow, can't get in sync with EST from AZ.

cruzbill 01-03-2018 04:25 PM

its a plunger switch that turns on the fan as the lid is raised. best access is from outside, you can get to it from the inside but you have to remove the screen, then you can reach it. dont get your hand caught in there with the fan running!!

Bart Anderson 01-03-2018 05:29 PM

Just spray the plunger switch with CRC or WD40 and work it up and down a couple of times

JohnFreyja 01-03-2018 05:57 PM

It's true that they are extremely helpful and today one of my fan's wouldn't work after not being used for a long time. I decided to call Fantastic Fan but I couldn't find my model # so I got up on the roof and found the model # on the fan but when I touched the pressure switch it started working. So, I exercised it for a few times and it is working as it should. Try it and then call.

Pushrod 01-31-2018 07:51 PM

Fan is fixed! I always suspected the board, but couldn't get Dometic to send me a schematic to troubleshoot the problem. They insisted it had to be the lift motor, so I paid the $15 shipping for a new motor, which I installed and which did not help. Finally got a schematic and I figured it had to be the board, but the "service tech" on the phone insisted it was still the motor. Third time I got another tech, and she sent me a board and another lift motor, saying that the motor I was sent was an older model. So I paid another shipping charge, and put the new board in, problem solved! The only difference in the motors is the lift speed. Nice to be able to hit the switch and hear that lid open!

GBBigGuy 02-02-2018 11:34 AM

Fantastic Fan Upgrade to work with Fantastic Fan Wall Switch

I see on Amazon there is a kit upgrade for my Fantastic Fan to make my fan a Model 6000RBTA. I have the wall controller installed on the wall and all the wires up around the fan housing. I think a previous owner went cheap and bought a manual fan.

So this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Will upgrade my existing fan with all the components I would need to run my wall controller. Most likely I would have to do some wiring mods, but I was hoping this would do the trick?

Any thoughts??

Greg :rolleyes:

Pushrod 02-02-2018 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Checking your inner shroud, if it has extruded round corners, you'll have to modify the corners of the upgrade kit. Mine is a "clamp" type, with the round extrusions, that kit you are looking at would have to have the corners cut out. Not sure what wiring you have in the ceiling, mine had power and switch connections.