iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Electrical help please...... (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/electrical-help-please-37494.html)

RBAJJK 10-25-2008 01:21 PM

Ok, the coach is 12 years old, but never had any electrical drivetrain problems. I think I've isolated the problem but wanted your advice.

The batteries are weak (just added water and not yet charged). But I turned on the chassis switch, inserted the key into the ignition, turned it to the first position and all the guages come to life - nothing special so far. I then turned the key to the start position, the engine tried but would not turn over (battery weak, been there before), but then all went silent and all dashboard guages went silent.

Interestingly enough the radio would come and go. And when it would come on, there was a clicking sound (a slow buzzing) from what may be a relay in the outer electrical compartment. This 'relay' is a ~2" stainless cylindrical cup, with a very shallow blunt cone cap on one end. This has two heavy gauge red wires connected to the upper and lower screws on the cylinder. There are also two small gauge screws/wires coming from the cylinder. Anyway the red wires are then attached to a distribution board where the connections are labeled (one of the upper connections off the distribution labeled ABS, one of the lower connections labeled Radio.

OK, I have a picture but do not know how to load it. I would be happy to send it to anyone who thinks the picture would help them, help me id the part for replacement. Or if anyone can tell me how to load it I would like to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help you RV wizards can offer.

By the way I would also be happy to call to discuss this with anyone.

Brian

RBAJJK 10-25-2008 01:21 PM

Ok, the coach is 12 years old, but never had any electrical drivetrain problems. I think I've isolated the problem but wanted your advice.

The batteries are weak (just added water and not yet charged). But I turned on the chassis switch, inserted the key into the ignition, turned it to the first position and all the guages come to life - nothing special so far. I then turned the key to the start position, the engine tried but would not turn over (battery weak, been there before), but then all went silent and all dashboard guages went silent.

Interestingly enough the radio would come and go. And when it would come on, there was a clicking sound (a slow buzzing) from what may be a relay in the outer electrical compartment. This 'relay' is a ~2" stainless cylindrical cup, with a very shallow blunt cone cap on one end. This has two heavy gauge red wires connected to the upper and lower screws on the cylinder. There are also two small gauge screws/wires coming from the cylinder. Anyway the red wires are then attached to a distribution board where the connections are labeled (one of the upper connections off the distribution labeled ABS, one of the lower connections labeled Radio.

OK, I have a picture but do not know how to load it. I would be happy to send it to anyone who thinks the picture would help them, help me id the part for replacement. Or if anyone can tell me how to load it I would like to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help you RV wizards can offer.

By the way I would also be happy to call to discuss this with anyone.

Brian

GaryKD 10-25-2008 02:25 PM

Hi Brian,
Consider doing nothing until you know you have fully charged batteries providing power. Strange things happen when weak power is applied to a circuit.

Avalondanes 10-25-2008 05:24 PM

I concur with Gary, you MUST have fully charged batteries to trouble shoot any electrical problem.

Richard

Pat Z 10-26-2008 04:13 AM

I just had the same thing and thought I screwed up my electrical system. I replaced the Chassis batteries and everything is working fine.

RBAJJK 11-01-2008 01:12 PM

Gary, Avalon, and Pat,

Thanks so much for the advice. I removed both chassis batteries and tested them - weak. Then tried to charge them and the charger indicated that both batteries had an open circuit or dead cell. The batteries were five years old and have now been replaced.

I installed the new batteries today. With the turn of the key, all the gauges came to life and the rig started right up.

Without your advice I would have still ended up with new batteries, but also about $100 worth of parts I did not need.

Thanks again.