iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Spare Tire Carrier Lowering Device Broken Cable (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/spare-tire-carrier-lowering-device-broken-cable-38031.html)

bdaball 05-22-2008 03:57 PM

Has anyone had to replace the spare tire lowering device on a W22 chassis that carries a spare tire on the rear underside?
Small assembly has a 3/4" nut behind the rear license plate to lower the tire frame via a stainless steel cable with a catch on the end. The cable has multiple strands that are worn through and the winch assembly seems to be bound up. On a recent flat tire situation I was glad to have a spare on board but now can not hang another spare in the frame due to not being able to wind it back up.
Would this be a Newmar only part,($$) or an automotive jobber part? Any ideas?

bdaball 05-22-2008 03:57 PM

Has anyone had to replace the spare tire lowering device on a W22 chassis that carries a spare tire on the rear underside?
Small assembly has a 3/4" nut behind the rear license plate to lower the tire frame via a stainless steel cable with a catch on the end. The cable has multiple strands that are worn through and the winch assembly seems to be bound up. On a recent flat tire situation I was glad to have a spare on board but now can not hang another spare in the frame due to not being able to wind it back up.
Would this be a Newmar only part,($$) or an automotive jobber part? Any ideas?

"007" 05-22-2008 05:31 PM

Never notice a cable to my tire frame before , will have to check in AM. Maybe its only on the MA coachs. My tire has never been dropped just grease the nuts once in a while. https://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

edgray 05-22-2008 05:39 PM

bdaball: On the few Newmars I have seen with this option, I've never paid close attention to the design. However, I can confirm that this tire carrier and its mechanisms ARE from Newmar, and were not part of the chassis as supplied by WCC. I suggest you contact a Newmar dealer for the parts you require, and wish you good luck! ED

bdaball 05-23-2008 07:20 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bdaball:
Would this be a Newmar only part,($$) or an automotive jobber part? Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have contacted several Newmar dealers. I'm getting the same answer from all. No longer available from Newmar. Was used on all gas coaches from 2000-2004. Might want to keep yours greased and make sure it's working correctly.

Max Hubrich 05-26-2008 12:16 PM

Hey Bill,
Call Newmar one more time and ask them who was the build vendor for the cable apparatus. Maybe you can locate that company and get a replacement-- If not, pull the whole thing off and have at a "home rebuild" job. That type of cable is readily available at home centers/hardware stores.

Just lowered mine, oiled hinges, greased cable. Looks like four bolts (about 5/8" heads) hold the mechanism up. It appears there are 4 phillips head screws holding the cable pack together.

Good luck,

bdaball 05-26-2008 04:01 PM

Thanks for the advice Max. After a couple of days of running around and calling numerous suppliers and jobbers I found an assembly at a FORD delership that is close. I'll need to cut a devise off of the cable that is used to center a tire and cut a little of the housing frame. I'm also going to update the catch to be a little more foolproof. I did not like the way it was secured. I'll try and take pictures as I go along and send them to you on a PM. FYI, the two bolts that act as the hinge point for the frame are tack welded on the threads rather than a lock nut. With a brute strength and a big wrench they came off but it wasn't easy.
Spare tire is not much good if you can't get at it.

Max Hubrich 05-27-2008 02:17 AM

Bill,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">to lower the tire frame via a stainless steel cable with a catch on the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't re-use this "catch". Get a piece of round 1/2" steel stock, about 1/2" thick, drill a hole slightly larger than the cable size, drill and tap two allen head set screw holes, (about 10-32 thread), insert the cable and tighten the set screws.

bdaball 05-31-2008 10:31 AM

Max,
The Ford assembly worked great. I little time with a cut off wheel and a short piece of angle iron to create a safety lip and wala!

$62.00 from a Ford parts department.(shhh...don't tell anybody I have a Ford part on a WH!)

I'll show you if we get to BBHbr later this summer