iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Monaco Diesel Pushers before 2008 (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/monaco-diesel-pushers-before-2008-a-380502.html)

10Boomer 03-02-2018 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBunker (Post 4065269)
Just bought a 2004 Monaco Camelot. 38PST with 400ISL and 33k miles. New tires, new bats and garage kept by original owner. Thrilled. Picking it up Tuesday and heading to Half-moon Bay for a few days on the first voyage. Never driven one this big before after selling my Fleetwood Storm 32 foot. I'll let you know how big my smile is on return home.

Dave

Congrats , youll love it. Those are hard to find models in that length. Where snouts in Half Moon Bay. We go there twice a year.

10Boomer 03-02-2018 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregs2007Dip (Post 4065311)
We picked up a 07 Monaco Diplomat PDQ 400ISL in October and are real happy with it. Research guided us to pre DEF and DPF builds. No visible slide floor rot, but we are showing roller wear on the road side bedroom slide.

Congrats on new to you coach! Enjoy the experience.

pduggs 03-02-2018 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele (Post 4064798)
I understand that 2008 may be among the worst years for a Monaco. They were going under and building as fast and cheap as possible. Pre-2007 is said to be better, or after 2009 when they were bought by Navistar.

My 2008 Dynasty was delivered in mid/2007. Chassis likely built in early 2007.

vito.a 03-02-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

I understand that 2008 may be among the worst years for a Monaco. They were going under and building as fast and cheap as possible. Pre-2007 is said to be better, or after 2009 when they were bought by Navistar.

Remember we are talking model year. Monaco filed Chapter 11 in April 2009. They were starting production on 2010 models. 2008 models were built 2 years prior.
Navistar purchased the company in Jun 2009. That is where I would be cautious. Almost everything Navistar has touched has gone bad.

BigSkyBob 03-02-2018 10:10 AM

My ordered from the factory 2008 Camelot has been a terrific rig. I demanded the non PDF motor and got it as Monaco had numerous chassis with non PDF motors on their lots. Been a trouble free rig with very few small repairs required over the ten plus years I've owned the rig. My black motor is not as clean as Happycarz but it runs really well and gets around 10 MPG towing a Ram 1500 4x4.

keef95 03-02-2018 11:53 AM

I went from a 5th wheel toy hauler to a gently used 07 Scepter last fall and have been really happy with mine. The obligatory tv, entertainment and stereo upgrades made for some interesting winter projects.
Cheers!
Chris

sticky 03-03-2018 06:31 AM

03 HR Ambassador

We bought an 03' 36PST Ambassabor triple slide (2 opposing and 1 bedroom) almost 2 years ago and it's been great. It has the RR4R chassis which was the lower end 4 bag chassis they made. There was an issue across their product line that used this chassis with cracking trailing arms but Source Engineering makes replacements to correct this. It will be pricey if not done already so make sure you take that into consideration if buying one with this chassis. Some say it also rides rough but with a front shock change from Source Engineering I find the ride good. Also this chassis will limit your tow capacity to 5000lbs. I like the fact that this is only 36' 4" long with the 315hp 950 ft lbs. torque ISC Cummings and Allison 3000 trans combo so power to weight ratio is good. Shorter diesel pushers can be hard to find so when we found this with the opposing slides that make it feel huge inside we jumped on it. Also I would make sure it has a diesel generator and not propane as the diesel was an option back then.

jrusselltx 03-03-2018 09:26 AM

I strongly recommend the plates from Talin. They are beautifully made and Chris is very helpful in getting them right.

Gorlininc 03-05-2018 04:42 PM

I have my 2001 38 Diplomat. I put 70K care free miles on it the past 6 years. It now has 168K miles. Other than normal maintenance its been a trouble free rig. Id say any Monaco unit you like will be great if it was taken care of.

relaxn 03-07-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

I have heard this so many times but I have yet to see anything or talk to any actual owner that agrees with it. It's as if the assumption was just made and everyone ran with it. Our Camelot is a 2009 42DSQ(the 1.5 bath model) and I have been inside, outside, under and over it. The fit and finish is amazing. I have heard the same from every other 2009 owner(and we talk about it because we think its funny that everyone thinks our coaches are questionable) :cool: FWIW, we have the 425ISL, we do have DPF but no DEF.

So to the OP, if you find an '09, I wouldn't sweat it. In our case, they actually improved the rear bathroom layout from 2008 to '09. No more stepping on the engine cover to get in the shower. :thumb:

Dynasty_09 03-08-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relaxn (Post 4074122)
I have heard this so many times but I have yet to see anything or talk to any actual owner that agrees with it. It's as if the assumption was just made and everyone ran with it. Our Camelot is a 2009 42DSQ(the 1.5 bath model) and I have been inside, outside, under and over it. The fit and finish is amazing. I have heard the same from every other 2009 owner(and we talk about it because we think its funny that everyone thinks our coaches are questionable) :cool: FWIW, we have the 425ISL, we do have DPF but no DEF.

So to the OP, if you find an '09, I wouldn't sweat it. In our case, they actually improved the rear bathroom layout from 2008 to '09. No more stepping on the engine cover to get in the shower. :thumb:

I totally agree with you. Being a Cayman 09 previous owner, and now driving a Dynasty 09, I can say that, besides the known trailing arm issue that affected the Cayman (Even before 2009), it was a very reliable coach with fit and finish that is hard to find even today. Was it the best handling MH ever? Hell no! But it was light years ahead of my previous 96 Aerbus.

Moving to the 09 Dynasty, I now understand what is a luxury coach at a fraction of the cost of even a base MH. Fit and finish is excellent and I have all the bells and whistle I want and love.

Plus, I don't have to upgrade the electronics to flat screens and what have you... It's riding on a very strong frame with all wheels discs and full air leveling. All that pushed by 500HP ISM without any DPF or DEF.

Is there things to fix? Yes, but I have a couple of HUNDREDS of thousands dollars to fix them before even getting close to an entry level luxury coach. :laugh:

Also, did you hear of anybody buying a new coach and not having problems???:whistling:

I would search for the best deal there is and not exclude 2009 or 2010 in your search.

Good luck!:cool:

Red Rocker 06-19-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBunker (Post 4065269)
Just bought a 2004 Monaco Camelot. 38PST with 400ISL and 33k miles. New tires, new bats and garage kept by original owner. Thrilled. Picking it up Tuesday and heading to Half-moon Bay for a few days on the first voyage. Never driven one this big before after selling my Fleetwood Storm 32 foot. I'll let you know how big my smile is on return home.
Dave

Same here, 38' PDQ with 26K on it with ISL400, new tires & batteries that was garage kept. Went from a lance truck camper to this & it feels like a palace.

rvadventure 06-19-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Our 2009 has been great with very few issues! The build date was 02/08 and it has a DPF, but only Re-Gens about once a year, which means you run it at 60 MPH for 20 minutes. It came with a lot of bells and whistles and the build quality was really good. In the older coaches you will probably run into the paint checking! We had a 2004 model before this and it was really good as well, just a lot less features. Regards

abrasv 06-20-2018 05:26 AM

Our '05 Monaco Windsor 40' PAQ is the best unit we have had of the past 6 over the years. 4 slides with no issues at all. 400 Cummins runs like a fine tuned watch. Changed out the entertainment system and added a Dish self seeking unit and good to go. We've been a stickler on maintaining all facets of it and have enjoyed 3 years of fun times.
Unfortunately, looks like we may be letting it go due to some health issues but holding on as long as possible.