iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Cherry Hill Park. MD (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/cherry-hill-park-md-381888.html)

Honwing 03-08-2018 03:06 PM

Cherry Hill Park. MD

Headed to Washington DC arriving March 25th. We will be staying at Cherry Hill for 18days and will be doing a White House Tour and spending a lot of time at the Smithsonian. Looking for ideas, doís and dontís, and any other advice. Thank You

BuzzWolfAR 03-08-2018 03:13 PM

Following this, will be there in July.

saddlesore 03-08-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honwing (Post 4075744)
Headed to Washington DC arriving March 25th. We will be staying at Cherry Hill for 18days and will be doing a White House Tour and spending a lot of time at the Smithsonian. Looking for ideas, doís and dontís, and any other advice. Thank You

Following..
On my bucket list, plan on at least a month or more just for all the Smithsonian locations....Hopefully find a CG that has public transportation at it's door step.
Driving in DC sux!

GaryKD 03-08-2018 05:24 PM

Cherry Hill has public transportation at the front of the CG. CH is a first rate operation. Be it tours or a bus to the train to DC they have everything you need to be comfortable with the adventure.

The only advice I can provide is take your time. DC can wear out a tourist very quickly.

Shawn E 03-08-2018 05:46 PM

Cherry Hills is indeed first rate. There staff are very knowledgeable about getting around. They even sell the cards you need for public transportation-donít remember what they are called but might have been SmartTrip or something like that. The bus literally picks up and drops you off at the front of the campground.

I would recommend looking at maps ahead of time but you can take the bus over to the university of Maryland College Park station and catch the green line into the city. Our first day we got off right at the National Archives stop and were in the middle of everything. From this point you can go in any direction on the national mall from the Capital on one end to the Lincoln memorial at the other end. To walk this is a few miles so where comfy shoes. As an alternative I would suggest taking the DC circulator bus. It literally circles and stops at all the major points on the national mall. And itís cheap to ride all day-like $1.50. We didnít discover this until our 2nd or third day and it really helped.

Iím glad you have ample time because the commute and waiting on buses takes more time than you may think. The alternative is to drive, but depending on when you leave it likely wonít be any quicker. Parking is hard to find and expensive. If you go this route there is an App you can download which was handy to reload time if needed.

It was a great trip but can be exhausting, but we were on the ground for only five days. Definitely will go back when we have more time.

Have fun
Shawn

Shawn E 03-08-2018 05:51 PM

I just re-read my post and want to clarify that the green line is one of the train routes, not a bus. Check out the WMATA website for maps and info. Also, the app I used for loading time for car parking is called ParkMobile. Hope this helps.

Air Conditioned Gypsy 03-08-2018 05:54 PM

We are going to be in CHP for a week, arriving 3/31! We stay there often, our daughter and her family live near. You will like it, really nice place.

They have a bus stop right by the office. Check with the office folks about what bus to take to go where. Some ideas:

All the regular stuff - Besides WH and Smithsonian that you already have on your list - Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson Monuments, VietNam and WWII memorials, Capitol Hill.

Take bikes (rent or bring your own) from Reagan National to Mount Vernon (Washington's home).

Smithsonian Air and Space - the new one by Dulles.

Arlington Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown

Go to Great Falls or further up the Potomac for a day trip to Harpers ferry.

Drive to Baltimore and the Inner Harbor to see the Aquarium and other sights there.

Call your rep and/or senator to see if you can stop by their office. Sometimes they will have their staff give tours for home folks.

Have fun.

Chuck

Arch Hoagland 03-08-2018 07:36 PM

We stayed there about a week and enjoyed it.

There is a two day Grayline tour I highly recommend. We took it when we first got there and then went back to places that we wanted to see more of at the end of the week.

https://www.grayline.com/tours/washi...9_1_12130_116/

Parking is no fun anywhere downtown.

Honwing 03-09-2018 12:59 AM

Thank You for the replies. If you find yourself at Cherry Hill Park anytime between March 25 and April 10th please stop by space 728 and say hi. Love to meet you and share info.

txcpl 03-09-2018 04:58 AM

We spent a week there last June. We did not have time to do half of what we wanted to do. Oh well, that gives us an excuse to go back sometime. A great place to spend 18 days.

Air Conditioned Gypsy 03-09-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honwing (Post 4076459)
Thank You for the replies. If you find yourself at Cherry Hill Park anytime between March 25 and April 10th please stop by space 728 and say hi. Love to meet you and share info.

We didn't get an assigned space when we made our reservation - Not sure we got one last time we were there either. Did it cost extra to get a pre-assigned spot? Or did you just ask?

728 is one of the premium spots, a bit farther from the highway and somewhat quieter. Anyway will try to stop in and say hi.

Regards.

Chuck

Honwing 03-09-2018 10:11 AM

When I called and made the reservation I had their site map up and asked what sites would take a 40í DP. She gave me three choices and I chose 728 because of location. No extra cost except for the premium. Small part of the cost for this trip. Looking forward to meeting you

BigBillSD 03-09-2018 10:21 AM

Great park! Stayed there about a week last September. JFYI, if you have pets, they are not allowed out of your car at Arlington NC. It can be chilly in DC that time of year.
-Bill

Honwing 03-09-2018 10:23 AM

Two indoor cats that are very happy to stay inside. Thank You. - Bill R