iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Must Have Features? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/must-have-features-382541.html)

RoadEyePie 03-13-2018 05:14 PM

Must Have Features?

What are the top 3 - 5 features on a FW?
Which are most important for boondocking, etc?

Large water tanks
Generator
Washer Dryer
Storage
Large propane tanks
Solar panels

dix39 03-13-2018 05:31 PM

IMHO, from your list for boondocking, large water and holding capacities would be #1, generator would be #2 (and AC if you will be where it is hot), then I suppose propane would be #3, although it has never been a limiting factor for me. Some like solar panels which would offset generator use.

Others will differ, but that would be my approach. I'm not sure what the ,etc. means, but for other than boondocking the top desired features could change.

My experience has been with TC's and MH, but I can't think boondocking needs would be different with a 5er.

Steve

archer75 03-13-2018 05:44 PM

Depends on how long you'll be away.

Washer dryer isn't needed unless you'll be out there for a LONG time.
And propane last a very long time. I have 2 20lb tanks and in 7 camping trips we don't even use one of them all the way up. 3 of those trips were dry camping.

For me I haven't gone more than 3 nights dry camping so my needs may be different than yours.

Large tanks. So many have such small black tanks. I don't know what it is but my wife and I and 2 girls can fill our 38 gallon black tank in 3 nights of camping.
We have a 80 gallon fresh water tank and haven't even come close to using half of it.

Solar. And 2x 6v batteries for it to charge. I have a 80w portable panel and my batteries are full again mid morning from the previous day and night of usage. It's never failed to top off the batteries.
I did just pick up a generator as I now have a cpap machine and i'm unsure how they will drain the batteries.

That's really it for my must haves. I tend to bring a smoker when dry camping as I have all day to BBQ. Cornhole. Extra games to stay entertained. It really depends on where we end up and what there is to do.

nothermark 03-13-2018 05:47 PM

The limiting factors are water, clean and dirty followed by power however you want to do it. The rest are incidental. Except in really cold weather most RV's will run out of water before they run out of propane. Some solar will cut generator time. All solar is questionable. A few folks make it work, the rest of us run the generator.

keymastr 03-13-2018 06:34 PM

As mentioned, tanks are number one, and generally the gray tank fills the fastest.

Inverter generator, not the loud Onan style that come built in. Nobody wants to hear that including yourself.

Batteries. So often overlooked but having 4 or more batteries means real useable power that will last more than a night or 2 if it is not convenient to recharge that day. And if you go with GC2 6 volt batteries they are less than $100 each. For boondocking they are by far the biggest bang for the buck.

Solar is awesome but requires a larger investment to get meaningful results, especially in winter or in a forest. If all your camping is in the sunny southwest then a couple panels can help to not run the genny so much.

JDT 03-13-2018 06:46 PM

1. Auto level
2. Auto level
3. Auto level
4. Auto level
5. Everything else is gravy.

rollondown 03-13-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDT (Post 4083940)
1. Auto level
2. Auto level
3. Auto level
4. Auto level

X2
Then solar
then batteries
then whatever your wife wants

RoadEyePie 03-13-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dix39 (Post 4083827)

Others will differ, but that would be my approach. I'm not sure what the ,etc. means, but for other than boondocking the top desired features could change

Steve

Yes, I meant what would the top 3 be for other types of camping, other than boondocking?

RoadEyePie 03-13-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDT (Post 4083940)
1. Auto level
2. Auto level
3. Auto level
4. Auto level

Sorry, I didn't understand any of this but gravy.

Triangle Drifter 03-13-2018 08:36 PM

#1 Large FW tank: Anything less than 80gal got cut from the list.
#2 A workable galley: This means lots of counter space with a flow through sink area of counter either side of it. This usually means an island galley or a "U" shaped galley.
#3 Try to stay under 32': We didn't but settled for about 35 pin to bumper in a 34 model#
#4 Large battery bank or at least the ability to expand it.
#5 Inverter: At least 100w & a Pure Sine Wave.
#6 Generator: Not necessarily an onboard. Not even necessarily large enough to run the AC depending on when & where intended dry camping is.
#7 Solar: Good to have if camping in the open out in a desert, not much use in the trees.
#8 More than just enough truck.

cfowler55 03-13-2018 08:50 PM

I'm going for the other than boondocking list.
1- auto level
2- rear living with good Windows - no rear entertainment unless tv drops
3- headroom. Especially in the shower

RoadEyePie 03-13-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfowler55 (Post 4084117)
I'm going for the other than boondocking list.
1- auto level
2- rear living with good Windows - no rear entertainment unless tv drops
3- headroom. Especially in the shower

Oh, "Auto Level", geez I thought all of the new models today would do that. I assume not, then it's standard on some and an option on others.

Spdracr39 03-13-2018 09:17 PM

Take washer dryer off the list. Water usage and power consumption is not conducive to boondocking.

RoadEyePie 03-13-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdracr39 (Post 4084152)
Take washer dryer off the list. Water usage and power consumption is not conducive to boondocking.

Oh, but you didn't read Rule #1 on the other thread....#1 Whatever the DW wants...I assume DW means the boss.