iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   How to reset GFCI outlet with no reset button??? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/how-to-reset-gfci-outlet-with-no-reset-button-387569.html)

anthonynalli 04-17-2018 07:48 PM

How to reset GFCI outlet with no reset button???

We picked up our new Montana High Country 381TH last Wednesday and right now 4 of my 5 GFCI outlets are not working and I canít figure out how to reset them. ALL the GFCIs were working fine until yesterday when 4/5 of them stopped. The only one that continues to work is in the bathroom. That one also happens to have a reset button right on the outlet. NONE of the other 4 have the reset button.

On a previous RV, a few of the non-bathroom GFCIs were on their own circuit and were reset by a switch in the basement. The only switch I can find is the breaker. Is is NOT tripped and resetting it has no effect. The bathroom remains working (except when Iíve switched off the breaker, of course) and the remaining 4 no longer do anything.

I figure there has to be a switchÖ but where? Keystone canít help. Customer service said to contact the dealer. Of course, the dealer said to contact Keystone. Neither actually know. And thereís no owners manual with the specific details of my layout.

This is terribly frustrating as I feel entirely on my own here, merely a week after paying for my unit and leaving the lot. While this is overall a minor matter, the inability to get any support is whatís particularly notable. It is very inconvenient to essentially not have any working outlets in the kitchen. But not knowing when (or even IF) the matter will be resolved is frightening.

Spk64 04-17-2018 07:52 PM

How to reset GFCI outlet with no reset button???

Usually only one GFCI outlet is installed in a circuit and other outlets are daisy chained in and protected by the one outlet.
My guess is you have a GFCI outlet hidden somewhere that is tripped causing the other daisy chained outlets to be dead.

Rscconrad 04-17-2018 08:02 PM

Correct as described above. Mine is in the bathroom for the kitchen outlets

nothermark 04-17-2018 08:25 PM

For a working GFCI the answer is to push the button on the working outlet. If the downstream outlets are not working it's a bad GFCI or a broken wire.

If pushing the button on the GFCI does not work the next move is to *temporarily* replace the GFCI with a standard duplex outlet. If everything then works the GFCI is bad so buy an new one and replace the duplex outlet. If that does not fix it then check for power at the next outlet down the line. The input wire their can be bad the same as the output wire can be bad at the GFCI.

Get that far and post again if you are still having a problem.

anthonynalli 04-17-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rscconrad (Post 4143509)
Correct as described above. Mine is in the bathroom for the kitchen outlets

I thought that might be the case. The bathroom outlet DOES work but I did try to press the reset button to no avail. I opened up the bathroom outlet and all wires looked to be in place securely.

anthonynalli 04-17-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 4143541)
If pushing the button on the GFCI does not work the next move is to *temporarily* replace the GFCI with a standard duplex outlet. If everything then works the GFCI is bad so buy an new one and replace the duplex outlet. If that does not fix it then check for power at the next outlet down the line. The input wire their can be bad the same as the output wire can be bad at the GFCI.

So the bathroom is the GFCI outlet with the reset switch. As I mentioned, the bathroom DOES work. Are you saying the bathroom outlet (being the only "GFCI protected outlet" with a reset button) is the one I should remove and install a duplex outlet?

Or replace the downstream outlets?

MrWzrd 04-17-2018 10:06 PM

I'm guessing there is another gfi.
Had a similar issue years ago and foung the miccrowave outlet in the cabinet is where the gfi was that was tripped.
Have you checked for additional gfi's?

drdarrin 04-17-2018 10:25 PM

Does the bathroom GFCI outlet work when tripped? If it does, itís wired incorrectly.

If it doesnít, then you either have a bad GFCI, a bad connection between the GFCI and the next plug in the series or your other four outlets are on a different circuit.

Good luck

Old-Biscuit 04-17-2018 10:35 PM

Check that wire leaving GCFI Outlet (fed wire to next outlet) is HOT (120V)
then go to the 'next' outlet in the circuit (if known) and check IF it has 120V from the GCFI

Wiring on these Cheap RV Outlets are 'pressed' into a 'V' slot to make connections
Any loose wire and every outlet downstream will not work

Halwiseguy 04-17-2018 11:13 PM

GFCI

With GFCI working go to the first down stream socket & check Voltage with a meter on black wire that you pulled off the First down stream socket .Turn off power before you pull off wire to down stream socket making sure that black wire is not touching anything then turn on power to check voltage. You may find broken wire when you pull it out of socket .If no voltage you have a break in the line coming from GFCI or a bad GFCI Be aware that GFCI has hot wire & several ground & neutral wires If you are not confident doing that GET HELP Be safe Good Luck Hal

clifford j 04-18-2018 01:44 AM

As I recall outlet wiring is continous ,outlets are crimped on 'no screw' connections, the gfci is wired with screws. I like the suggestion that the gfci is wired wrong, power in is reversed with power out terminals. The OP needs the wiring diagram ,he has no clue what outlets are down stream our which one comes first ,second, third,ect. To test the system just pull the gfci and temoprary bypass it and 'wire nut' the conductors ,then check the other outlets, simple test.

CLIFFORD

triplewide 04-18-2018 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifford j (Post 4143788)
As I recall outlet wiring is continous ,outlets are crimped on 'no screw' connections, the gfci is wired with screws. I like the suggestion that the gfci is wired wrong, power in is reversed with power out terminals. The OP needs the wiring diagram ,he has no clue what outlets are down stream our which one comes first ,second, third,ect. To test the system just pull the gfci and temoprary bypass it and 'wire nut' the conductors ,then check the other outlets, simple test.

CLIFFORD

x2 :thumb:

Mark the wires as you remove them from the GFI outlet. One pair (black and white) are attached to the "line" terminals. "Line" indicates the incoming 120 volts. One pair is attached to the "Load" terminals. "Load" is the receptacles that are down stream from the GFI receptacle. Line and load should be marked on the outlet, usually on the back. You might want to check that the line and load are connected to the correct terminals before doing anything else. Make sure the white and black wires in each pair come from the same cable. Theses can get mixed up easily.

Wire nut, lightly, the blacks together. Then wire nut the whites together. Turn the breaker back on. If all your outlets work then the GFI needs to be replaced.

If they still don't work:

then there is another GFI hidden somewhere that has tripped or,

a connection has come loose in one of the outlets that are not working or a hidden junction. Most likely the receptacle closest to the bath GFI or,

a wire between the GFI and the next receptacle or junction has been cut.
(not likely)

bruceisla 04-18-2018 03:54 AM

My vote is for another GFI with a reset somewhere. I have 2 in the kitchen and 1 in the hall bath.

Tdave 04-18-2018 04:37 AM

Check the outlets in your basement storage, they may be GFI, too, and daisy chained to the interior.

dayle1 04-18-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceisla (Post 4143817)
My vote is for another GFI with a reset somewhere. I have 2 in the kitchen and 1 in the hall bath.

It is a waste of money to have a second GFI wired downstream from the first one and RV manufacturers aren't into wasting money. IF a second GFI exist it is likely a different circuit anyway.

wstalker 04-18-2018 06:57 AM

Exactly. All the others are just Decora style outlets. More than likely you have a GFIC receptacle you have not located yet.

lonewolftx 04-18-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4143642)
So the bathroom is the GFCI outlet with the reset switch. As I mentioned, the bathroom DOES work. Are you saying the bathroom outlet (being the only "GFCI protected outlet" with a reset button) is the one I should remove and install a duplex outlet?

My Keystone Fuzion 420 has the GFCI outlet in the 1/2 bath in the garage. When I trip it, it kills all the other outlets as well, as it controls 6 or so other outlets. All are also tied to one breaker on the AC panel. Your GFCI outlet might be bad as it gets power but doesnít pass thru to the other outlets.

wa8yxm 04-18-2018 07:03 AM

A GFCI will nto reset without power

Press the TEST button, if nothing happens press the RESET if nothign happens reset the circuit breaker.. had that happen last night in fact.

Normal wiring is

Power panel-Branch Breaker----GFCI-Other Outlet 1,2,3,4,5

Optional wiring
power panel-Branch Breake/Gfci--Outlets 1,2,3....n
But that is rare the combined GFCI/Breaker is more expensive then the outlet kind plus a regular breaker I guess.

nothermark 04-18-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

I'm saying that the GFCI has an input or line side and an output or load side. Any outlets daisy chained off the load side will be protected by the GFCI. Given that the GFCI can work but the next socket in line not work from either a bad connection or a bad GFCI. That was why I recommended replacing the GFCI with a standard outlet as a diagnostic tool.

You really would get much better results if you picked up a $20 multimeter and learned how to use it. Voltage readings mean a lot more than just "looks OK".

I wil

anthonynalli 04-18-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdarrin (Post 4143691)
Does the bathroom GFCI outlet work when tripped? If it does, itís wired incorrectly.

If it doesnít, then you either have a bad GFCI, a bad connection between the GFCI and the next plug in the series or your other four outlets are on a different circuit.

Good luck

When tripped, the bathroom GFCI does indeed cut power to the outlet until reset.

bruceisla 04-18-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayle1 (Post 4143955)
It is a waste of money to have a second GFI wired downstream from the first one and RV manufacturers aren't into wasting money. IF a second GFI exist it is likely a different circuit anyway.

Of course.

Spk64 04-18-2018 08:09 AM

Before you start yanking outlets and wiring out. Need to make darn sure you do not have a GFCI hidden somewhere. I would say the odds are very high that is the issue.
This outlet could be anywhere. RV manufactures are very good at hiding this stuff and throwing away the map. [emoji23]

bruceisla 04-18-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4144107)
When tripped, the bathroom GFCI does indeed cut power to the outlet until reset.

Then it is unlikely the outlets with no power are on the GFCI. Look for another GFCI with buttons. Does the one in the bath have an indicator when it's tripped (a red light)? If so, you can look for a light when it gets dark.

bddadles 04-18-2018 08:17 AM

You have not mentioned where you are located. One of use may be close to assist.

I have to agree that you probably have another GFCI you have not found yet. Check if the microwave plug is a GCFI. It is probably in a cabinet. After that things have been covered pretty well.

Brad

lonewolftx 04-18-2018 08:27 AM

It is unusual but like airstreams the gcfi is a breaker one, not an outlet one. Never seen both in a rig but check the ac panel for a beak gcfi ith test button.

nothermark 04-18-2018 09:23 AM

People are missing the whole issue. Wire nutting the wires or a duplex outlet or a voltmeter will sort our whether or not the problem is the GCFI. 2 of the three should produce power at the next outlet on the daisy chain, the third will show the GCFI is passing power. The rest is extraneous to the problem.

MrWzrd 04-18-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 4144230)
People are missing the whole issue. Wire nutting the wires or a duplex outlet or a voltmeter will sort our whether or not the problem is the GCFI. 2 of the three should produce power at the next outlet on the daisy chain, the third will show the GCFI is passing power. The rest is extraneous to the problem.

But that is making the assumption that the offending outlets are actually on that GFI.

Mudfrog 04-18-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

We had a similar situation on ours a while back. No power at the one GFCI receptacle or to the others in the coach. First thing was to check breaker. It was fine so then i pulled the GFCI receptacle to check for voltage on the wiring coming in to it. The incoming wiring had power and was not loose. Replaced GFCI with new and problem was solved.

I'm not positive but i suppose it's possible that a malfunctioning GFCI can supply power to itself, but at the same time, not let it pass to the receptacles down line from it. I would check for voltage coming in and leaving the GFCI. If voltage is coming out, then it could simply be a loose wire at the next receptacle down the line.

As someone else stated, you could temporarily install a regular non-GFCI receptacle and see if power returned. If it was me, i'd just wire nut the wires together at the GFCI and see if power returned to the downstream receptacles. If it did, then install a new GFCI.

Mudfrog 04-18-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWzrd (Post 4144258)
But that is making the assumption that the offending outlets are actually on that GFI.

But, it doesn't hurt a thing to try it. The battle would be over if wire nutting the wires resulted in power coming back up downstream. Just one of the ways to narrow things down.

nothermark 04-18-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWzrd (Post 4144258)

That is what one finds out by doing that. If one of those moves does not fix the problem then it's time to look for why. Just good, basic, trouble shooting.

egwilly 04-18-2018 02:54 PM

I had this exact issue on our last trailer. Found the culprit....was a GFCI hidden in a kitchen cabinet for the microwave. :rolleyes:
It's not likely that a wire has come loose.....backtrace with a VOM to find it.

Off Road 04-18-2018 03:35 PM

I think Old Biscuit has the simplest answer. My bet is a wire fell off the next outlet in the circuit. If it worked originally then that eliminates the GFCI being wired incorrectly. There could be another GFCI somewhere but if there are wires coming out of this one headed somewhere else, then that is not likely.

ALLOY 04-18-2018 09:21 PM

1 out if 8 GFI don't work or stop working....why GFI need to be tested on a regular basis. New GFI breakers are (should be) self testing.

Given the quality of the wiring where are the Arc Fault breakers in RVs.

anthonynalli 04-18-2018 10:17 PM

I replaced the GFCI and everything is exactly the same. The dealer confirmed with Keystone that all the GFCI outlets are in fact daisy chained and the only reset in the system is in the bathroom. So that leaves me thinking the problem may be more serious and beyond my very limited electrical skillset.

anthonynalli 04-18-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceisla (Post 4143817)

According to Keystone via the dealer, the bathroom is the only GFCI outlet.

anthonynalli 04-18-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 4144002)
You really would get much better results if you picked up a $20 multimeter and learned how to use it. Voltage readings mean a lot more than just "looks OK".

I really should do that. Electrical work has always kind of scared me a bit.

anthonynalli 04-18-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bddadles (Post 4144124)
You have not mentioned where you are located. One of use may be close to assist.

I have to agree that you probably have another GFCI you have not found yet. Check if the microwave plug is a GCFI. It is probably in a cabinet. After that things have been covered pretty well.

Brad

I'm in Toronto. If the microwave is GFCI, then it's its own circuit as the microwave works but the other stuff in the kitchen plugged into GFCI-protected outlets don't.

Winemaker2 04-19-2018 06:20 AM

When you've exhausted simple fixes you might considet taking the unit back to the dealer. Park it in an obvious spot on their lot with a sign in window or outside that reads...
Bought this x wks ago
Elec outlets don't work
Dealer / mfg no help resolving the problem.

I bet they will get right on it.

I have heard of others doing exactly this when told by dealer it would be x weeks before they could get them... scheduled changed rather quickly.
You need to be firm at times!

bddadles 04-19-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4145431)
I'm in Toronto. If the microwave is GFCI, then it's its own circuit as the microwave works but the other stuff in the kitchen plugged into GFCI-protected outlets don't.

I'm in Alabama so I'm to far away. I'm not sure what else to suggest. If the rig is brand new the dealer should be helping. It is possible to call a mobile guy but you would have to pay him. What follows is just me thinking out loud about what I would be checking. You may have done all of them.

1)Get a voltmeter.
2) If the one GFCI they say you have (and I'm not sure I would take their word as gospel) is not tripped. Just because there is only supposed to be one doesn't mean someone didn't put in another one. I would look at the breaker box for a tripped breaker or a GFCI breaker. Just maybe the non working outlets have their own breaker.
3) I would do a careful search of the rig and locate every outlet in it. Check all the cabinets. Check the basement.
4) Use the volt meter and start at the GFCI to see if the power is leaving the output side. It is possible BUT highly unlikely that the new GFCI is bad.
5) Start checking down the line and start pulling outlets to check for loose or broken wires.

Did the outlets ever work since you have had the unit? If they did work something came loose or tripped and you just have to find it. If they never worked I'm not sure exactly what to tell you right now.
Good Luck.

Brad

glarnold 04-19-2018 08:21 AM

I'm curious, and trying to follow this - you said "... the other stuff in the kitchen plugged into GFCI-protected outlets don't" ... how do you determine that these are GFCI protected outlets?

Another thought - I've had these protected outlets, where you you couldn't reset them with your finger, but had to use a pointed thingy to really push them in.

L0veless 04-19-2018 09:35 AM

Anthonyalli,
I would go over to Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum and post over there before getting to deep into this.
I'm sure there are other owners with the same model that can help you out (as far as locating the other GFCI).
the big issue is the factory has no idea and your dealer is clueless. hope I don't get in trouble for this post.

egwilly 04-19-2018 10:48 AM

Most, if not all GFCI should be marked whether or not they have test buttons. The mfg put labels or lettering on the face to let you know it part of a daisy chained circuit.
I found this out once when the outside patio duplex was dead.....there were no test buttons on them, once I reset the kitchen plug, all was good.

Rscconrad 04-19-2018 08:27 PM

this may be so basic it was overlooked. Did you check the fuse box for a tripped breaker?

nothermark 04-20-2018 07:20 AM

The way to figure out whether the rest of the outlets are part of the daisy chain is to replace the GFCI with a regular outlet or to wire nut the wires together as described earlier. If that powers up the rest of the outlets then the issue is the GFCI. If you go that route mark the input side wires with tape or some other marker so you do not confuse them when you put the GFCI back. You should put that back when you are done.

The way to trouble shoot the problem once all the outlets are working is to disconnect them either all or one at a time with the GFCI in the circuit to see what one is causing the failure. If there is an outside socket I'd start there. Moisture will cause the GFCI to trip.

The microwave may be on it's own circuit. That would explain it working.

anthonynalli 04-20-2018 09:03 AM

UPDATE: In troubleshooting with my dealer, supporting the info provided in this forum - thanks guys! - I replaced the GFCI hoping it was faulty, but doing so didn't solve the problem. So I thought Iíd visually inspect each linked outlet to see if there was anything obvious. I checked one at a time then tested one by one.

The GFCI-protected outlet in the basement LOOKED ok but there must be something wrong with it internally because after having jiggled that one and testing, all the outlets WORK!!!!

I have an onsite service visit booked for a few weeks from now when it can be replaced. But in the meantime, the mystery is solved!

I'd like to give Blair Sicard of Sicard RV well earned praise for responding to my email 10 minutes after I sent it... at 11 PM!!! And to his shop foreman, Kelly, for working with me and following up FIVE TIMES!

bddadles 04-20-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4147681)
UPDATE: In troubleshooting with my dealer, supporting the info provided in this forum - thanks guys! - I replaced the GFCI hoping it was faulty, but doing so didn't solve the problem. So I thought Iíd visually inspect each linked outlet to see if there was anything obvious. I checked one at a time then tested one by one.

The GFCI-protected outlet in the basement LOOKED ok but there must be something wrong with it internally because after having jiggled that one and testing, all the outlets WORK!!!!

I have an onsite service visit booked for a few weeks from now when it can be replaced. But in the meantime, the mystery is solved!

I'd like to give Blair Sicard of Sicard RV well earned praise for responding to my email 10 minutes after I sent it... at 11 PM!!! And to his shop foreman, Kelly, for working with me and following up FIVE TIMES!

Congrats on finding the problem. Since you said earlier that you changed out a GFCI you should have no problem replacing the bad outlet and permanently fixing your problem.

egwilly 04-20-2018 02:21 PM

Thanks for posting the resolution.....we all learn this way. :)

CLIFFTALL 04-20-2018 02:25 PM

X2 [emoji106]

triplewide 04-20-2018 04:34 PM

And life is good again :thumb:

gracers31 04-22-2018 09:45 AM

more electrical mystries

I have been following this with interest and thought you had my problem solved.

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
Thought all was ok. But It still continues.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.
Right now all is working ok but I expect the GREMLINS to strike any time.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

I am at a loss where to look now.

The unit is a 2018 Solitude 310GK

Thanks in advance for your help.

triplewide 04-22-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracers31 (Post 4151203)

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

If I understand correctly the problem comes and goes on its own? (meaning you don't have to reset anything to make it start working again)

Are the bedroom plugs on the same circuit breaker as the GFI?

If so you may have a loose connection in an outlet similar to what anthonynalli found. If so it is probably in an outlet close to the circuit breaker.

You might want to check the circuit breaker to make sure the wire is properly secured there as well.

gracers31 04-22-2018 04:14 PM

more electrical mystries

no the bedroom is not on the same circuit as the GFCI circuit.
When we had power to all outlets I flipped the GFCI breaker off and the bedroom outlets had power.

egwilly 04-22-2018 06:54 PM

If that is the case, then you have a loose connection somewhere in the daisychain of wires. You will have to wait until it happens again, then back test with a VOM. Can be very time consuming. Dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Or take it to the dealer. Hopefully he will only need it for a couple days.

gracers31 04-22-2018 07:51 PM

more electrical mystries

Thanks for all the help.
I figured out.
One of the first things I checked yesterday when this began was the 50 amp service at the park. My surge protector showed all ok. After much frustration and almost giving up I retraced my steps today and found that the park 50 amp service did indeed drop a leg according to my surge protector.
It must have been a intermittent problem that finally gave up some time last night or this morning.
That explains the fact that it would come and go and we were loosing both the GFIC and the bedroom plugs when it went at the same time.
There two main breakers in the panel and it spits the two legs. That answers why the plugs in the living area always worked.
Switched to the 30 amp service and all is working as it should.
Will have the park fix the problem tomorrow
It's time for a beer.

Thanks again.

1960C182 04-23-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracers31 (Post 4151203)

Open up breaker panel & find the wires to the GFCI . If a 50 amp panel then you have a split bus neutral & ground . Make sure the white is on the neutral bus & the bare ground on the ground bus. I had the same problem.

triplewide 04-23-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracers31 (Post 4152178)
Thanks for all the help.
I figured out.
One of the first things I checked yesterday when this began was the 50 amp service at the park. My surge protector showed all ok. After much frustration and almost giving up I retraced my steps today and found that the park 50 amp service did indeed drop a leg according to my surge protector.
It must have been a intermittent problem that finally gave up some time last night or this morning.
That explains the fact that it would come and go and we were loosing both the GFIC and the bedroom plugs when it went at the same time.
There two main breakers in the panel and it spits the two legs. That answers why the plugs in the living area always worked.
Switched to the 30 amp service and all is working as it should.
Will have the park fix the problem tomorrow
It's time for a beer.

Thanks again.

:thumb: Satisfaction!