iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   How to reset GFCI outlet with no reset button??? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/how-to-reset-gfci-outlet-with-no-reset-button-387569.html)

dayle1 04-18-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceisla (Post 4143817)
My vote is for another GFI with a reset somewhere. I have 2 in the kitchen and 1 in the hall bath.

It is a waste of money to have a second GFI wired downstream from the first one and RV manufacturers aren't into wasting money. IF a second GFI exist it is likely a different circuit anyway.

wstalker 04-18-2018 06:57 AM

Exactly. All the others are just Decora style outlets. More than likely you have a GFIC receptacle you have not located yet.

lonewolftx 04-18-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4143642)
So the bathroom is the GFCI outlet with the reset switch. As I mentioned, the bathroom DOES work. Are you saying the bathroom outlet (being the only "GFCI protected outlet" with a reset button) is the one I should remove and install a duplex outlet?

Or replace the downstream outlets?

My Keystone Fuzion 420 has the GFCI outlet in the 1/2 bath in the garage. When I trip it, it kills all the other outlets as well, as it controls 6 or so other outlets. All are also tied to one breaker on the AC panel. Your GFCI outlet might be bad as it gets power but doesnít pass thru to the other outlets.

wa8yxm 04-18-2018 07:03 AM

A GFCI will nto reset without power

Press the TEST button, if nothing happens press the RESET if nothign happens reset the circuit breaker.. had that happen last night in fact.

Normal wiring is

Power panel-Branch Breaker----GFCI-Other Outlet 1,2,3,4,5

Optional wiring
power panel-Branch Breake/Gfci--Outlets 1,2,3....n
But that is rare the combined GFCI/Breaker is more expensive then the outlet kind plus a regular breaker I guess.

nothermark 04-18-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

So the bathroom is the GFCI outlet with the reset switch. As I mentioned, the bathroom DOES work. Are you saying the bathroom outlet (being the only "GFCI protected outlet" with a reset button) is the one I should remove and install a duplex outlet?

I'm saying that the GFCI has an input or line side and an output or load side. Any outlets daisy chained off the load side will be protected by the GFCI. Given that the GFCI can work but the next socket in line not work from either a bad connection or a bad GFCI. That was why I recommended replacing the GFCI with a standard outlet as a diagnostic tool.

You really would get much better results if you picked up a $20 multimeter and learned how to use it. Voltage readings mean a lot more than just "looks OK".

I wil

anthonynalli 04-18-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdarrin (Post 4143691)
Does the bathroom GFCI outlet work when tripped? If it does, itís wired incorrectly.

If it doesnít, then you either have a bad GFCI, a bad connection between the GFCI and the next plug in the series or your other four outlets are on a different circuit.

Good luck

When tripped, the bathroom GFCI does indeed cut power to the outlet until reset.

bruceisla 04-18-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayle1 (Post 4143955)
It is a waste of money to have a second GFI wired downstream from the first one and RV manufacturers aren't into wasting money. IF a second GFI exist it is likely a different circuit anyway.

Of course.

Spk64 04-18-2018 08:09 AM

Before you start yanking outlets and wiring out. Need to make darn sure you do not have a GFCI hidden somewhere. I would say the odds are very high that is the issue.
This outlet could be anywhere. RV manufactures are very good at hiding this stuff and throwing away the map. [emoji23]

bruceisla 04-18-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4144107)
When tripped, the bathroom GFCI does indeed cut power to the outlet until reset.

Then it is unlikely the outlets with no power are on the GFCI. Look for another GFCI with buttons. Does the one in the bath have an indicator when it's tripped (a red light)? If so, you can look for a light when it gets dark.

bddadles 04-18-2018 08:17 AM

You have not mentioned where you are located. One of use may be close to assist.

I have to agree that you probably have another GFCI you have not found yet. Check if the microwave plug is a GCFI. It is probably in a cabinet. After that things have been covered pretty well.

Brad

lonewolftx 04-18-2018 08:27 AM

It is unusual but like airstreams the gcfi is a breaker one, not an outlet one. Never seen both in a rig but check the ac panel for a beak gcfi ith test button.

nothermark 04-18-2018 09:23 AM

People are missing the whole issue. Wire nutting the wires or a duplex outlet or a voltmeter will sort our whether or not the problem is the GCFI. 2 of the three should produce power at the next outlet on the daisy chain, the third will show the GCFI is passing power. The rest is extraneous to the problem.

MrWzrd 04-18-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothermark (Post 4144230)
People are missing the whole issue. Wire nutting the wires or a duplex outlet or a voltmeter will sort our whether or not the problem is the GCFI. 2 of the three should produce power at the next outlet on the daisy chain, the third will show the GCFI is passing power. The rest is extraneous to the problem.

But that is making the assumption that the offending outlets are actually on that GFI.

Mudfrog 04-18-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

We had a similar situation on ours a while back. No power at the one GFCI receptacle or to the others in the coach. First thing was to check breaker. It was fine so then i pulled the GFCI receptacle to check for voltage on the wiring coming in to it. The incoming wiring had power and was not loose. Replaced GFCI with new and problem was solved.

I'm not positive but i suppose it's possible that a malfunctioning GFCI can supply power to itself, but at the same time, not let it pass to the receptacles down line from it. I would check for voltage coming in and leaving the GFCI. If voltage is coming out, then it could simply be a loose wire at the next receptacle down the line.

As someone else stated, you could temporarily install a regular non-GFCI receptacle and see if power returned. If it was me, i'd just wire nut the wires together at the GFCI and see if power returned to the downstream receptacles. If it did, then install a new GFCI.