iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   How to reset GFCI outlet with no reset button??? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/how-to-reset-gfci-outlet-with-no-reset-button-387569.html)

Rscconrad 04-19-2018 08:27 PM

this may be so basic it was overlooked. Did you check the fuse box for a tripped breaker?

nothermark 04-20-2018 07:20 AM

The way to figure out whether the rest of the outlets are part of the daisy chain is to replace the GFCI with a regular outlet or to wire nut the wires together as described earlier. If that powers up the rest of the outlets then the issue is the GFCI. If you go that route mark the input side wires with tape or some other marker so you do not confuse them when you put the GFCI back. You should put that back when you are done.

The way to trouble shoot the problem once all the outlets are working is to disconnect them either all or one at a time with the GFCI in the circuit to see what one is causing the failure. If there is an outside socket I'd start there. Moisture will cause the GFCI to trip.

The microwave may be on it's own circuit. That would explain it working.

anthonynalli 04-20-2018 09:03 AM

UPDATE: In troubleshooting with my dealer, supporting the info provided in this forum - thanks guys! - I replaced the GFCI hoping it was faulty, but doing so didn't solve the problem. So I thought Id visually inspect each linked outlet to see if there was anything obvious. I checked one at a time then tested one by one.

The GFCI-protected outlet in the basement LOOKED ok but there must be something wrong with it internally because after having jiggled that one and testing, all the outlets WORK!!!!

I have an onsite service visit booked for a few weeks from now when it can be replaced. But in the meantime, the mystery is solved!

I'd like to give Blair Sicard of Sicard RV well earned praise for responding to my email 10 minutes after I sent it... at 11 PM!!! And to his shop foreman, Kelly, for working with me and following up FIVE TIMES!

bddadles 04-20-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonynalli (Post 4147681)
UPDATE: In troubleshooting with my dealer, supporting the info provided in this forum - thanks guys! - I replaced the GFCI hoping it was faulty, but doing so didn't solve the problem. So I thought Id visually inspect each linked outlet to see if there was anything obvious. I checked one at a time then tested one by one.

The GFCI-protected outlet in the basement LOOKED ok but there must be something wrong with it internally because after having jiggled that one and testing, all the outlets WORK!!!!

I have an onsite service visit booked for a few weeks from now when it can be replaced. But in the meantime, the mystery is solved!

I'd like to give Blair Sicard of Sicard RV well earned praise for responding to my email 10 minutes after I sent it... at 11 PM!!! And to his shop foreman, Kelly, for working with me and following up FIVE TIMES!

Congrats on finding the problem. Since you said earlier that you changed out a GFCI you should have no problem replacing the bad outlet and permanently fixing your problem.

egwilly 04-20-2018 02:21 PM

Thanks for posting the resolution.....we all learn this way. :)

CLIFFTALL 04-20-2018 02:25 PM

X2 [emoji106]

triplewide 04-20-2018 04:34 PM

And life is good again :thumb:

gracers31 04-22-2018 09:45 AM

more electrical mystries
 
I have been following this with interest and thought you had my problem solved.

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
Thought all was ok. But It still continues.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.
Right now all is working ok but I expect the GREMLINS to strike any time.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

I am at a loss where to look now.

The unit is a 2018 Solitude 310GK

Thanks in advance for your help.

triplewide 04-22-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracers31 (Post 4151203)
I have been following this with interest and thought you had my problem solved.

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
Thought all was ok. But It still continues.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.
Right now all is working ok but I expect the GREMLINS to strike any time.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

I am at a loss where to look now.

The unit is a 2018 Solitude 310GK

Thanks in advance for your help.


If I understand correctly the problem comes and goes on its own? (meaning you don't have to reset anything to make it start working again)

Are the bedroom plugs on the same circuit breaker as the GFI?

If so you may have a loose connection in an outlet similar to what anthonynalli found. If so it is probably in an outlet close to the circuit breaker.

You might want to check the circuit breaker to make sure the wire is properly secured there as well.

gracers31 04-22-2018 04:14 PM

more electrical mystries
 
no the bedroom is not on the same circuit as the GFCI circuit.
When we had power to all outlets I flipped the GFCI breaker off and the bedroom outlets had power.

egwilly 04-22-2018 06:54 PM

If that is the case, then you have a loose connection somewhere in the daisychain of wires. You will have to wait until it happens again, then back test with a VOM. Can be very time consuming. Dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Or take it to the dealer. Hopefully he will only need it for a couple days.

gracers31 04-22-2018 07:51 PM

more electrical mystries
 
Thanks for all the help.
I figured out.
One of the first things I checked yesterday when this began was the 50 amp service at the park. My surge protector showed all ok. After much frustration and almost giving up I retraced my steps today and found that the park 50 amp service did indeed drop a leg according to my surge protector.
It must have been a intermittent problem that finally gave up some time last night or this morning.
That explains the fact that it would come and go and we were loosing both the GFIC and the bedroom plugs when it went at the same time.
There two main breakers in the panel and it spits the two legs. That answers why the plugs in the living area always worked.
Switched to the 30 amp service and all is working as it should.
Will have the park fix the problem tomorrow
It's time for a beer.

Thanks again.

1960C182 04-23-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracers31 (Post 4151203)
I have been following this with interest and thought you had my problem solved.

I first thought it was a problem with the GFCI outlet or the circuit, not sure now.

When the problem first happened I lost power in the GFCI circuit. But the GFCI outlet never tripped. Neither did the circuit breaker. So after reading this thread I replaced the GFCI plug with a regular "non GFCI" plug.
Thought all was ok. But It still continues.
I have also discovered that when it happened it also knocks out the wall plugs in the bedroom. Not on the GFCI circuit. The living and kitchen plugs work as designed. It has happened 5 to 6 time in the last few days.
Right now all is working ok but I expect the GREMLINS to strike any time.

I have tested using a ground fault tester on all affected outlets. All test good.

I am at a loss where to look now.

The unit is a 2018 Solitude 310GK

Thanks in advance for your help.

Open up breaker panel & find the wires to the GFCI . If a 50 amp panel then you have a split bus neutral & ground . Make sure the white is on the neutral bus & the bare ground on the ground bus. I had the same problem.

triplewide 04-23-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracers31 (Post 4152178)
Thanks for all the help.
I figured out.
One of the first things I checked yesterday when this began was the 50 amp service at the park. My surge protector showed all ok. After much frustration and almost giving up I retraced my steps today and found that the park 50 amp service did indeed drop a leg according to my surge protector.
It must have been a intermittent problem that finally gave up some time last night or this morning.
That explains the fact that it would come and go and we were loosing both the GFIC and the bedroom plugs when it went at the same time.
There two main breakers in the panel and it spits the two legs. That answers why the plugs in the living area always worked.
Switched to the 30 amp service and all is working as it should.
Will have the park fix the problem tomorrow
It's time for a beer.

Thanks again.


:thumb: Satisfaction!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.