iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Disc Brakes - 5er (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/disc-brakes-5er-387633.html)

Roam America 04-18-2018 10:01 AM

Disc Brakes - 5er

I purchased a new 5er this past summer. I have an appointment next month to have MORryde Independent Suspension installed. I've also included the Disc Brakes in the schedule but I am not totally sold on them.

Is there a noticeable difference between the RV drum brakes and a Disc Brake system?

glennwest 04-18-2018 10:06 AM

I had drum brakes on my Teton. Upgraded them to Disc. Done it myself. Best money ever spent on our home.

wingnut60 04-18-2018 10:08 AM

Get the discs--you won't regret the money spent on safety.
Had previous Suites with larger electric brakes, now newer one with discs--will never go back to electric.

DJNCJ 04-18-2018 10:37 AM

There is a significant difference. It sure is nice having the trailer stop itself without pushing the truck...

I won't have a 5er without them.

TBS-POPS 04-18-2018 05:46 PM

Totally worth it.

Joe11 04-18-2018 05:52 PM

Any manufacturer of disc brakes recommended above another?

Would like some installed on my 5vr next spring or later this fall.

glennwest 04-18-2018 06:24 PM

Got mine from Etrailer.com. Very simple. Take everything off and throw in the trash. Clean up spindle, pack bearings, place in hubs, bolt on caliper bracket, install hub, bolt on caliper, wheel. Run brake lines and mount cylinder. bleed system.

Gray01 04-18-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe11 (Post 4144930)
Any manufacturer of disc brakes recommended above another?

Would like some installed on my 5vr next spring or later this fall.

I would never go back to drum brakes.

I have never heard of a dissatisfied customer of Performance Trailer Braking.
https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

glennwest 04-18-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray01 (Post 4144993)
I would never go back to drum brakes.

I have never heard of a dissatisfied customer of Performance Trailer Braking.
https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Prices I saw way out of line.

Gray01 04-18-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennwest (Post 4145026)
Prices I saw way out of line.

They are out of line maybe for those who know how to do it.

The cost for Mr. Badwrench (me) could rapidly escalate way beyond that of hiring a skilled tech.

DJNCJ 04-18-2018 07:17 PM

Having owned a couple auto repair centers, it was second nature for me to research the systems, install the brakes, run the hydro lines, mount the actuator and connect the wiring on my own. About 5 hours and a couple beers later it was done. It was fun for me to make this improvement on my own. There is a great sense of satisfaction doing things like this without having to pay a professional.

I will be adding them to my 27’ enclosed snowmobile trailer this summer.

glennwest 04-18-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJNCJ (Post 4145099)
Having owned a couple auto repair centers, it was second nature for me to research the systems, install the brakes, run the hydro lines, mount the actuator and connect the wiring on my own. About 5 hours and a couple beers later it was done. It was fun for me to make this improvement on my own. There is a great sense of satisfaction doing things like this without having to pay a professional.

I will be adding them to my 27í enclosed snowmobile trailer this summer.

Only bad part about the install was crawling around under the 5ther. I'm 61 and I was fine doing it.

DJNCJ 04-18-2018 08:11 PM

That’s true! At 58 I still get around okay but the joints will voice their objections from time to time...

aknavy 04-18-2018 09:11 PM

As others have said, wouldn't own one without them. I'd put the brakes far higher on the priority list than the MorRyde IS, and I have both on my trailer.

Bob_C 04-18-2018 09:25 PM

Another vote for them!.......Got mine from West Marine........and at 75, I can and do all my updates.....lol

chaps2018 04-18-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob caldwell (Post 4145307)
.......and at 75, I can and do all my updates.....lol

Dang Bob, I want to grow up to be just like you!

Bob_C 04-18-2018 09:46 PM

LOL......all it takes is a pack a day, coffee all day, and a Big bottle of Advil!!!....

Wood Chip 04-18-2018 10:37 PM

Got mine from trailer performance braking. What a difference!

Oldelevatorman 04-18-2018 10:46 PM

I can do a lot of stuff, I built elevators for a living, but brakes isn't one of them. Performance TB is doing mine at a rally in June!

bddadles 04-19-2018 10:44 AM

If the Mor ride is going on that is the time to do the disk brakes also. My disks are great. Don't give it a second thought just do it.

Brad

mobilemike 04-19-2018 12:56 PM

What do you think the upcharge would be to order a trailer with disk brakes?
Will they even do it?

DJNCJ 04-19-2018 02:14 PM

I would think a 2,000.00 cost to add disc brakes at the factory level would not be out of line. They would likely have 500.00 - 800.00 in actual costs. Forest River Riverstone has them as a option but I'm not sure what they charge.

Halwiseguy 04-19-2018 05:53 PM

Done it all my self including Axle flip. Used kodiack conversion . worked great when I had to make a Panic stop in Omaha Ne. 70 MPH to O. well wothe the $$$$ Be Safe & Have Fun Hal

Halwiseguy 04-19-2018 06:12 PM

Did axle flip & disc conversion at the same time . Used Kit form Kodiak with actuator . Kit comes with every thing . Backing plate disc hub bearings seals pads hyd. lines & actuator . Soooo glad I did when I had to make that panic stop in Omaha Ne. Be safe & have fun Hal

Fiesta48 04-19-2018 08:09 PM

Our drum brakes work very well. The Rams adjustable brake controller can be set so the 5er will do all the stopping, sorry not spending 2 grand.

JDT 04-19-2018 08:56 PM

We had the MorRyde IS and disc brakes installed last fall at the MorRyde factory in Elkhart. An impressive place with very attentive employees. They use Kodiak brakes and hubs which use readily available parts. They replaced a set of Dexter disc brakes so we were already used to them. Can't tell much difference with the Kodiak's but I would not have a trailer without them.

FireFlyer 04-19-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Star (Post 4144203)
I purchased a new 5er this past summer. I have an appointment next month to have MORryde Independent Suspension installed. I've also included the Disc Brakes in the schedule but I am not totally sold on them.

Is there a noticeable difference between the RV drum brakes and a Disc Brake system?

Just had the SRE 4000 suspension and the Titan disc brake system from Performance Trailer Braking installed on our Raptor. A significant and noticeable improvement in both ride and braking. Yes, I stopped OK with drums, but the improvement was amazing.

It IS an expensive upgrade. We waited to be sure we were going to keep the Raptor for a while. But once we decided, we look at it as a safety investment that is worth it. Others may not come to the same conclusion, but we did.

dblr 04-20-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJNCJ (Post 4146304)
I would think a 2,000.00 cost to add disc brakes at the factory level would not be out of line. They would likely have 500.00 - 800.00 in actual costs. Forest River Riverstone has them as a option but I'm not sure what they charge.

Disc brakes are standard on the River Stone Legacy line but a upgrade on the River Stone. Also you can now option in the Mor Ryde IS if so desired.

DJNCJ 04-20-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblr (Post 4147343)
Disc brakes are standard on the River Stone Legacy line but a upgrade on the River Stone. Also you can now option in the Mor Ryde IS if so desired.

Sweet trailer! It is on my short list if we upgrade! I think I would only look at the Legacy lineup. Full body paint and disc brakes all the way!

You sure you have enough truck in front of that trailer??:dance:

DJNCJ 04-20-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiesta48 (Post 4146877)
Our drum brakes work very well. The Rams adjustable brake controller can be set so the 5er will do all the stopping, sorry not spending 2 grand.

Wow, your signature shows class A. You have a 5er too?

Using Rams integrated braking system in the tow vehicle, I have towed my 5er with properly working drum brakes as well as the discs. Have you done the same to compare? From my experience it sure is a significant difference...

Discs are stronger, less prone to contaminating linings due to over greasing bearings, easier to service, more fade resistant (think long downhill)... just plain better. Period. IMHO

Its fine that you don't see the value from a money standpoint, but there is a measured functional difference in stopping distance. Titan Hydraulic over Electric Trailer Disc Brake Conversion Review and Installation Tips

Roam America 04-20-2018 12:58 PM

OK. Haven't been online for a few days, but ya'll convinced me. I'll have MORryde install the disc brakes when installing the IS.

dblr 04-21-2018 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJNCJ (Post 4147637)
Sweet trailer! It is on my short list if we upgrade! I think I would only look at the Legacy lineup. Full body paint and disc brakes all the way!

You sure you have enough truck in front of that trailer??:dance:

Are you coming to the FROG Rally in Goshen in August? Plenty of new units on display plus now they work out deals to purchase while there, plus they offer factory tours. Last year I think at least ran 4 tours to Cedar Creek and 1 to River Stone plus all other brands as well.

tuffr2 04-21-2018 06:40 AM

Yes, you will notice a big improvement.

Joe11 04-22-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood Chip (Post 4145378)
Got mine from trailer performance braking. What a difference!

I contacted Performance braking via their website and provided them the info requested. They responded the next workday. They didnít have a kit that matched my needs (triple 8k axles) so they requested photos of my axle tags and they will contact the manufacturer for more specific info and get me a quote.

Two reasons I want increased braking power. I have the RAM with integrated brake controller but going down I-10 through El Paso, morons stopped in the fast and slow lanes because some other moron lost some couch cushions out the bed of his truck. The motor home in front of me took off an exterior rear view mirror from the passenger side of a car stopped in the fast lane. My mouth, hands and arms tingled for the next 10-15 miles.

Reason #2, pulled the wheels off my rig at about 3,300 miles since new after noticing a bit of grease on the wheel. Manufacturer used incorrect bearing grease (too thin) and the inside of my brake drums were coated in copious amounts of grease and two magnet retaining clips were missing.

I want to see my brake components.