iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Disc Brakes - 5er (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/disc-brakes-5er-387633.html)

DJNCJ 04-20-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblr (Post 4147343)
Disc brakes are standard on the River Stone Legacy line but a upgrade on the River Stone. Also you can now option in the Mor Ryde IS if so desired.

Sweet trailer! It is on my short list if we upgrade! I think I would only look at the Legacy lineup. Full body paint and disc brakes all the way!

You sure you have enough truck in front of that trailer??:dance:

DJNCJ 04-20-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiesta48 (Post 4146877)
Our drum brakes work very well. The Rams adjustable brake controller can be set so the 5er will do all the stopping, sorry not spending 2 grand.

Wow, your signature shows class A. You have a 5er too?

Using Rams integrated braking system in the tow vehicle, I have towed my 5er with properly working drum brakes as well as the discs. Have you done the same to compare? From my experience it sure is a significant difference...

Discs are stronger, less prone to contaminating linings due to over greasing bearings, easier to service, more fade resistant (think long downhill)... just plain better. Period. IMHO

Its fine that you don't see the value from a money standpoint, but there is a measured functional difference in stopping distance. Titan Hydraulic over Electric Trailer Disc Brake Conversion Review and Installation Tips

Roam America 04-20-2018 12:58 PM

OK. Haven't been online for a few days, but ya'll convinced me. I'll have MORryde install the disc brakes when installing the IS.

dblr 04-21-2018 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJNCJ (Post 4147637)
Sweet trailer! It is on my short list if we upgrade! I think I would only look at the Legacy lineup. Full body paint and disc brakes all the way!

You sure you have enough truck in front of that trailer??:dance:

Are you coming to the FROG Rally in Goshen in August? Plenty of new units on display plus now they work out deals to purchase while there, plus they offer factory tours. Last year I think at least ran 4 tours to Cedar Creek and 1 to River Stone plus all other brands as well.

tuffr2 04-21-2018 06:40 AM

Yes, you will notice a big improvement.

Joe11 04-22-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood Chip (Post 4145378)
Got mine from trailer performance braking. What a difference!

I contacted Performance braking via their website and provided them the info requested. They responded the next workday. They didnít have a kit that matched my needs (triple 8k axles) so they requested photos of my axle tags and they will contact the manufacturer for more specific info and get me a quote.

Two reasons I want increased braking power. I have the RAM with integrated brake controller but going down I-10 through El Paso, morons stopped in the fast and slow lanes because some other moron lost some couch cushions out the bed of his truck. The motor home in front of me took off an exterior rear view mirror from the passenger side of a car stopped in the fast lane. My mouth, hands and arms tingled for the next 10-15 miles.

Reason #2, pulled the wheels off my rig at about 3,300 miles since new after noticing a bit of grease on the wheel. Manufacturer used incorrect bearing grease (too thin) and the inside of my brake drums were coated in copious amounts of grease and two magnet retaining clips were missing.

I want to see my brake components.