iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Dually front end wobble (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/dually-front-end-wobble-388950.html)

nclauser 04-26-2018 07:58 PM

Dually front end wobble

I have a 2013 3500 Dodge ram dually, a yr ago I hit a raised bump in the road doing about 65 mph, right front wheel wobbled violently, slowed down to "shake it out", I have since hit more pot holes, rippled black top, etc,... Slow or fast, it seems if I hit them just rite the front end wobbles violently to the point I have to almost stop to get it to stop. Anyone else experience same??

jacwjames 04-26-2018 08:07 PM

Friend of mine has a large Dodge, he had an instance of a "death wooble" while pulling a trailer on interstate. Took it to the dealer and turned out to be tie rod ends. Not sure if this is common or not.

nclauser 04-26-2018 08:13 PM

Thanks, I have had it looked at multiple times without conclusive answers

mjdenn 04-26-2018 08:33 PM

Check for a bent wheel. A good tire shop can measure lateral run out.

mjdenn

BuzzWolfAR 04-26-2018 08:50 PM

All one tons are subject to the Death Wobble as they don't have independent suspension. My F350 had it due to steering column failure. Can also be caused by wheel bearings, tie rods or ball joints or a combination.

Very dangerous situation. Take it to the dealer and use the death Wobble term, they all know it and can diagnose based on the name. Can be a very expensive fix, but deadly if not fixed.

nclauser 04-27-2018 08:48 AM

Thanks for the info Buzz, been experiencing an increase in this occuring, driving me nuts. Already made an appointment and yes they know the term.

glennwest 04-27-2018 11:27 AM

Check your pittman arm. That will do it.

jelag 04-27-2018 01:43 PM

There is a recall on the front ends of 2 WD Dodge ram trucks where one of the members that holds/secures the front end parts was not welded correctly at the factory... it has happened where this incorrect weld fails and pieces fall off... first consult the Ram Website with your vin # to determine if you have this recall and it hasn't been performed on your truck..

Second, there is a "death wobble" also related to some trucks.. in all the trucks I've owned (10 over the years) we have never experienced this.. but we keep the front end tight and don't put aftermarket tires and wheels... its said that different offsets from aftermarket stuff can contribute to the wobble..

Last, go join turbodieselregister.com for the latest information on your Dodge Ram truck and you will find lots of threads on this problem.. there are 3 or 4 factory guys who write tho this thread... bob4x4 and sag2 are excellent sources of information, but they usually don't respond to direct emails... but if they add thoughts to a thread its because they have seen it in the shop

raineman 04-27-2018 01:47 PM

I would start with the tires. A shifted belt will do that. Any tire shop can tell you. Had same thing happen. Mine came with the crappy Nexen tires. Front tire belt shifted resulting in a violent wobble. New Michelin tires fixed that