iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Lock Steering Wheel for tow dolly, best, easiest way (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/lock-steering-wheel-for-tow-dolly-best-easiest-way-390301.html)

ccutaia 05-06-2018 07:51 AM

Lock Steering Wheel for tow dolly, best, easiest way

Is there a safe, easy way to lock down a non-locking 2016 Ford Focus steering wheel for towing on a dolly?

BFlinn181 05-06-2018 08:49 AM

A bungee cord from the steering wheel to the seat frame.

Gary RVRoamer 05-06-2018 10:02 AM

Sometimes the 3-point seat belt can be used - that worked great when I dolly-towed a Buick Verano. Looped the belt through the steering wheel and latched it, then ran the seat back to further tighten.

If you use the bungee method, make sure it is a hefty one.

twinboat 05-06-2018 10:42 AM

Don't bother, with both tiresstrapped down, it will follow straight behind you unlocked.

Been working for me for years.

ccutaia 05-06-2018 11:37 AM

The bed turns, don't work. The steering wheel was strapped down, the strap came off and the car was not straight. It was a bear to get off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 4174901)
Don't bother, with both tiresstrapped down, it will follow straight behind you unlocked.

Been working for me for years.

nothermark 05-06-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccutaia (Post 4174957)
The bed turns, don't work. The steering wheel was strapped down, the strap came off and the car was not straight. It was a bear to get off.

Worst case carry a big pry bar to swing the pan under the vehicle. Best case is pull around the loop and get everything straightened out before unloading. It should track straight over distance. Do not try to back up even a little.

Mich F 05-06-2018 11:56 AM

Those swivel pans are designed to swivel (stating the obvious). I would assume if they don't and your steering wheel is locked , you are going to have issues pulling that dolly and car. Something should be turning whether it's the pans or the wheels of the toad.

twinboat 05-06-2018 12:35 PM

I have never had a problem unloading, even after a sharp turn and everything is miss aligned.
I turn the steering wheel to follow the ramps down. They are wide fixed ramps.

We just came from South FL to Central NY, over a 3 week period. We never unloaded or used the toad because we bought another car. We even dropped the dolly and toad together, at one place. After the first check, straps stayed tight thru the whole trip. No steering lock.

If your tire straps are falling off, they are not tight enough and not re-tightened in 20 to 40 miles. Pull hard, you won't break anything.

BFlinn181 05-06-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich F (Post 4174986)
Those swivel pans are designed to swivel (stating the obvious). I would assume if they don't and your steering wheel is locked , you are going to have issues pulling that dolly and car. Something should be turning whether it's the pans or the wheels of the toad.

That's one reason I suggested a bungee cord to the OP's orginal question. Something has to give when turning a 4 wheel 'trailer'(Toad on a dolly) The bungee cord allows the wheel to turn a bit, but the elastic would turn the steering wheel straight again. If the swivel pan is frozen, I'd dismantle the dolly and find out why.

elcheapo 05-06-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccutaia (Post 4174619)
Is there a safe, easy way to lock down a non-locking 2016 Ford Focus steering wheel for towing on a dolly?

This is what I use https://www.rvautoparts.com/5975-Dem...AaAmEIEALw_wcB

ransil 05-06-2018 03:53 PM

I was staping my 2012 Focus , the strap came off a few times, did seem any different so I quit strapping it.

Dutch Star Don 05-06-2018 04:34 PM

Here is what we use to use when doing alignments. It's spring loaded....on and off quickly.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...Bholder%2Btool

Gidyupgo 05-10-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccutaia (Post 4174619)

We have used the seat belt on 4 different vehicles on a swivel plate Stehl dolly. Couple of loops around the bottom of the wheel and move the seat back to take up the slack.

EdInArk 05-10-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccutaia (Post 4174957)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich F (Post 4174986)

If I understand ccutaia's post correctly, I'm in total agreement with Mich F. As I understand it, the bed on the tow dolly doesn't turn, and ccutaia wants to lock the steering wheel. I would not do that.

If it's crooked when you stop, try to find a straight place to get it all back in a line.