iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Fan Belt replacement (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fan-belt-replacement-392391.html)

BobA 05-19-2018 10:08 PM

Fan Belt replacement

I have a 2003 R-Vision Condor Class A with a 454 workhorse. I need to replace my fan belt, it is squeaking. I have had two mechanics say it need to be replaced. The trouble is that they are telling me the whole front of the MH has to be removed including the Rad. This I am told is an 8 hour job, this seems like a lot of work for a fan belt. Has anyone had to replace a fan belt. I tried to have a look at it from both the top and bottom and cannot see it. Any suggestions?:confused:

CJ7365 05-19-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobA (Post 4197899)
I have a 2003 R-Vision Condor Class A with a 454 workhorse. I need to replace my fan belt, it is squeaking. I have had two mechanics say it need to be replaced. The trouble is that they are telling me the whole front of the MH has to be removed including the Rad. This I am told is an 8 hour job, this seems like a lot of work for a fan belt. Has anyone had to replace a fan belt. I tried to have a look at it from both the top and bottom and cannot see it. Any suggestions?:confused:

I think someone is trying to make your wallet a little lighter.

I had a 95 Winnebago Brave class A, with the 454, I changed the belts through the dog house, and had to go underneath to make sure it was around the harmonic balancer.

Time to find another mechanic, as both of them are not mechanics, they are rip offs.

Take it too a truck shop, maybe even a Chevy dealer that works on trucks.

Maybe take 2 hrs at the most. Without removing components, radiator etc.....

jwracer11 05-19-2018 10:25 PM

I agree with CJ. You can access it through the doghouse... Not too hard of a job at all. Not as easy as a passenger car's belt... but shouldn't entail what they are telling you.

vettenuts 05-20-2018 07:42 AM

Make sure itís the belt, could be harmonic balancer, idler pulley or tensioner that is making the noise. Best to verify before starting job. I would also contact Brazilís and ask them how big a job this is, they will give you an honest answer that you can use to assess the estimate you have.

ga traveler 05-20-2018 10:42 AM

Run don't walk from these bozo's. Second advice use a continental cross cut belt. They are designed to not squeak.

brokenrule 05-20-2018 02:04 PM

1996 Itasca with 454. Idler pulley broke threw the belt. Chirping like a bird when cold then went away. Forth time it broke off and broke the bolt. The fix everything through the doghouse. $700 for the repair st a commercial truck repair facility.

Motor7 05-20-2018 06:39 PM

Some doghouses are too small, if that's the case you can do it from underneath. Do yourself a favor and change the Idler pulley and Tensioner at the same time as the belt if you don't know the last time they were replaced.