iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Radius Sides on Roof (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/radius-sides-on-roof-393592.html)

tmw188 05-28-2018 06:48 AM

Radius Sides on Roof
 
The radius sides that roll down from the roof to the gutters on my Dolphin are black and almost appear to be black paint or some type of black coating that is starting to peal. Has anyone addressed this issue on theirs?

hohenwald48 05-30-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw188 (Post 4211788)
The radius sides that roll down from the roof to the gutters on my Dolphin are black and almost appear to be black paint or some type of black coating that is starting to peal. Has anyone addressed this issue on theirs?

Since nobody has responded I'm going to bet that's something that was added by a dealer, repair shop or previous owner. My SurfSide doesn't have any kind of black coating on the radius roof edges.

GREGORYJ 05-30-2018 08:39 PM

I had an 05 Dolphin and the radius roof sides where white as the rest of the roof.
My current 08 Dolphin has full body paint and the factory painted the radius roof sides to match the paint below the gutter. Maybe the black was added to yours later, I would think black could get hot and burnt or peal from the sun. Our brown color that faces up on the radius roof sides has some fading and clear coat pealing, but the white areas of paint on roof radius sides still looks like new.

Jim1950 05-31-2018 10:36 AM

You wrote:

"Our brown color that faces up on the radius roof sides has some fading and clear coat pealing,"

We have a 2007 Dolphin with the exact same problem & situation developing. I am curious - Do you see any problem developing here with the clear-coat peeling?

Thanks
Jim

GREGORYJ 05-31-2018 07:36 PM

I don't think it would cause problems, it is hard to see from below and is mostly a cosmetic problem. We now park the RV under a roof so is not in the sun when not used so pealing might continue but at a slower pace.

tmw188 05-31-2018 08:42 PM

Well I have clear coat peeling on the front and rear caps too. I have full body paint but the other peeling I mention in the opening post does seem to be original. I'll have to take a couple of pictures.

tmw188 06-04-2018 07:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well here are some photos of the original post in question. It appears to maybe be some sort of very thin tape? It wasn’t pealing like this two yrs. ago. Attachment 205712Attachment 205713Attachment 205714

GREGORYJ 06-04-2018 08:13 PM

Definitely added on by someone earlier and sure didn't stand up to the sun. Like you say, doesn't look like paint , maybe a graphics material or tape. The question would be why was it put on ? Maybe for looks, a black accent along the roof line. Also maybe to cover up possibly some cracks on the radius roof edge. The radius edge rises up then turns down and if you step or kneel too close to the edge of the roof it can crack the radius edge fiberglass. Just a possibility...
It should be all white like our 05 5342 was...
https://i64.tinypic.com/kebyp4.jpg

Jim1950 06-05-2018 09:05 AM

Your 08 Dolphin roof is exactly similar to our 07. The black tape that tmw188 shows is new to me. I have a full body paint rig, and peeling of clear coat is occuring on the rounded ridges. Nothing looks so bad so as to worry me about roof leakage, but still, something to watch.

tmw188 06-08-2018 01:29 PM

Radius Sides on Roof
 
1 Attachment(s)
I will have to check with another member on here I know that has the same paint scheme, but I think because of the color of the coach that the black radius is original. The white would not look good against the black gutters and dark brown sides?Attachment 206281

GREGORYJ 06-08-2018 07:31 PM

Picture is helpful, thanks. You're right, it would be nice to see another 3676LX with full body paint. Like you say, white wouldn't look good on radius.

BonS 06-08-2018 07:40 PM

It look like black duct tape. Not a long term solution to anything.

tmw188 06-08-2018 07:58 PM

Radius Sides on Roof
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BonS (Post 4231492)
It look like black duct tape. Not a long term solution to anything.



Not duct tape I know the difference no fabric and has lasted since 2005. Also underneath doesn't appear to be white like the rest of roof just a greyish looking fiberglass?

tmw188 06-08-2018 08:07 PM

Radius Sides on Roof
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGORYJ (Post 4225146)
Definitely added on by someone earlier and sure didn't stand up to the sun. Like you say, doesn't look like paint , maybe a graphics material or tape. The question would be why was it put on ? Maybe for looks, a black accent along the roof line. Also maybe to cover up possibly some cracks on the radius roof edge. The radius edge rises up then turns down and if you step or kneel too close to the edge of the roof it can crack the radius edge fiberglass. Just a possibility...
It should be all white like our 05 5342 was...
https://i64.tinypic.com/kebyp4.jpg



It's definitely a rolled material like a 3 or 4" tape each lapping over the other staring from the bottom. I didn't count the layers. Where it ended and started again they laid another piece perpendicular over the seam. It's also across the rear cap just above the marker lights and the cap moulding. I think it was to hide the white. I'll have to cover this with something eventually.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.