iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   tight battery terminals? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/tight-battery-terminals-394838.html)

airshot 06-04-2018 08:30 PM

tight battery terminals?

Today I wanted to warm up the generator before changing the oil and filters. My generator has never failed me.....until this morning. Checked all the switches and breakers, checked battery charge, nothing....no cranking over...dead. Started tracing back wiring from start bottons and found a small group of wires that had been spliced when the generator was swapped out some 12 years ago. Found lots of corrosion in the splices so I redid all of them and also found an inline fuse that was badly corroded and fell apart when I removed it. Though sure this was going to be the culprit, finished cleaning all the connections and splices....still dead....no nothing. Now I am really puzzled...went into dash and checked all connections there....all good. Now I am thinking a broken wire internally...that is going to be a real trick to find. Decided to clean battery terminals......oh ...oh....found the connection to the genny was not tight...not loose either but not as tight as it should be. Grabbed a wrench and gave a good tug to tighten it real good and what do you know...the genny jumped to life!! Just a lesson to all....after winter storage, clean your battery terminals and be sure they are tight!! Good and tight!! Oh well at least I now know all those connections will be good for a while..

FIRE UP 06-05-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airshot (Post 4225176)
Today I wanted to warm up the generator before changing the oil and filters. My generator has never failed me.....until this morning. Checked all the switches and breakers, checked battery charge, nothing....no cranking over...dead. Started tracing back wiring from start bottons and found a small group of wires that had been spliced when the generator was swapped out some 12 years ago. Found lots of corrosion in the splices so I redid all of them and also found an inline fuse that was badly corroded and fell apart when I removed it. Though sure this was going to be the culprit, finished cleaning all the connections and splices....still dead....no nothing. Now I am really puzzled...went into dash and checked all connections there....all good. Now I am thinking a broken wire internally...that is going to be a real trick to find. Decided to clean battery terminals......oh ...oh....found the connection to the genny was not tight...not loose either but not as tight as it should be. Grabbed a wrench and gave a good tug to tighten it real good and what do you know...the genny jumped to life!! Just a lesson to all....after winter storage, clean your battery terminals and be sure they are tight!! Good and tight!! Oh well at least I now know all those connections will be good for a while..

Roger that Airshot. Batteries, cables and all the connections, including the ones on the frame for the negatives, are often overlooked in any form of periodic maintenance. Many folks don't mess around with them until, like you, you find out you have a problem. So, it just pays to be a bit proactive in this very situation. Look at, maintain, clean, check, all things related to batteries.

Scott

charliez 06-05-2018 08:51 AM

Get a little bottle of dielectric grease. Lightly coat the connections. It will keep them clean. Also look at the venting from the battery area. Sounds like your battery might be gassing off and those gasses are causing corrosion.

ThePowells 06-07-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliez (Post 4225802)
Get a little bottle of dielectric grease. Lightly coat the connections. It will keep them clean. Also look at the venting from the battery area. Sounds like your battery might be gassing off and those gasses are causing corrosion.

"Gassing Off"...I'll have to try that one on Kelly and see how it goes...