iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Surge protector or surge guard? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/surge-protector-or-surge-guard-395566.html)

Klibber 06-09-2018 01:30 PM

Surge protector or surge guard?

Should I invest in a surge protector or a surge guard for my trailer?

vsheetz 06-09-2018 01:34 PM

Progressive Industries EMS. Hardwired or portable - same feature set.

Palms 06-09-2018 11:26 PM

^^^What he said. From a very satisfied PI client.

anthonyv 06-10-2018 09:03 AM

Surge protector or surge guard?

For better security, hard wire it inside the RV, then if someone comes along & tries to steal the cord for the copper, that's all they are going to get. Portables are expensive & too easy of a target.

Dale & Mark Bruss 06-10-2018 09:24 AM

First the correct term you are looking for is an EMS (Electrical Management System). There are surge guards that just that a protection against electrical surges which is about the least protection you need.

For 12 years we used a portable EMS. We never worried about theft. We did use a cable lock not for protection but to take the strain off of the plug in the receptacle.

There is an advantage to a portable. We have been in parks with some pretty questionable power posts and with the portable, we could walk down a line of posts looking for a suitable one.

The disadvantage of a portable is that the indicator is at the unit on the power pole.

A built-in EMS can have the advantage of a display inside. When we bought the Bounder, we ordered it with a built-in EMS. It has a display inside the RV but it in behind the bedroom TV, so it is not convenient.

sd75mac 06-10-2018 06:11 PM

Been using a portable Progressive unit for years. Had a situation at night and placed a call to Progressive and a tech called back in approx 10 minutes. Excellent service.

L.C.Gray 06-11-2018 05:44 AM

I have no faith in them....

Two friends running them have both melted plugs/cords with them which is the kind of thing they are supposed to prevent. They both still swear by them. I run nothing and that's what's happened to me... nothing. Also that's what it cost me... nothing.

Dale & Mark Bruss 06-11-2018 05:58 AM

Melted plugs are a function of poor receptacles on the power post. High resistance causes heat. Just how is an EMS supposed to prevent that.

Someday you will plug into a reversed wired 30 amp receptacle and all the savings you have will go up in smoke.

60sumtin 06-11-2018 07:58 AM

An EMS or surge protector is like an insurance policy, they are only good when you need it. Understanding what they do is important. Neither of them will fix a line issue or problem at the pedestal but they will protect your trailer. How much protection depends on what they are designed to do.

I'm not sure what the electrical issue was that caused damage to the fridge in our last trailer. That was 20 years ago but the cost of repair back then was more than what an EMS costs today so when I bought this trailer I decided to install the hardwired Progressive Industries EMS. The remote display is helpful to have but its not something that needs to be monitored so I installed it on the back wall of the wardrobe. The blinking propane detector is annoying enough.