iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class B Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   Service for MB Diesel engines (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/service-for-mb-diesel-engines-396161.html)

Skgust 06-13-2018 01:45 AM

Service for MB Diesel engines

My husband and I are looking at purchasing a Leisure Travel Van Unity B+. He has concerns that it will be very difficult to find service dealers. We live in the SF Bay Area. Can any of you convince him otherwise?

604eholston 06-13-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skgust (Post 4238398)
My husband and I are looking at purchasing a Leisure Travel Van Unity B+. He has concerns that it will be very difficult to find service dealers. We live in the SF Bay Area. Can any of you convince him otherwise?

Yes. Up until recently, many Freightliner truck facilities were available and some still are. Some Mercedes auto centers do Sprinter service, it's sorta a crapshoot. I have to drive over a hundred miles for "authorized" Sprinter service. As soon as my warranty is up, I plan to use a well qualified local garage. Of course, I live in the hinterlands of southern Appalachia.

SSTraveler 06-13-2018 06:32 AM

I've had my a Leisure Unity for 4 years and never had an issue finding a MB Sprinter service center, https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/shop...?zipcode=97215. Fortunately, I have only needed to find a center just 3 times in my ownership. Freightliner shops are also an optiin for warranty work or any other service needs.

sebtown 06-15-2018 10:54 AM

Depending where you are in the Bay Area both the MB dealers in Santa Rosa and Fairfield are well equipped to service Sprinters.

User1011 06-17-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skgust (Post 4238398)

LTV now has the Wonder - two models available: Murphy Bed and Front Twin Bed. We traded our 2015 LTV TB for a 2018 Wonder Front Twin Bed. The Wonder is on the Ford Transit (diesel ) chassis. We love it.

We find the Ford more responsive, easier dash/computer controls, longer wheel base ( 178 v. 170 on the Sprinter) thus a nicer ride, 19-20 mpg, and Ford Service available everywhere. Probably cheaper too.

The floor plan is great - very open and roomy, large galley counter area, huge shower with the rear bath. We love it ! Very pleased !

Good Luck with your decision. :dance:

BillJinOR 06-17-2018 01:48 PM

Service for MB Diesel engines

Just met a lady in a Wonder. Gave my DW and I a “tour” ! Very nice RV! She had owned 2 sprinter rv’s prior and traded for the wonder on the ford chassis. Just because of the service and the problems she had with the sprinters failing on bio diesel blends. She said she was done with mb and hoped ford would work out better
She was loving the Ford 5 cylinder at 5000 miles and the service she’d got at a local ford dealer. Slightly less power but better mileage I guess . She was super positive on leisure just not the unity sprinter chassis
My daughter works at a mb dealer that does service sprinter motorhomes and had told me they see a lot of them with issues , mostly covered by warranty.

User1011 06-17-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillJinOR (Post 4245543)
Just met a lady in a Wonder. Gave my DW and I a “tour” ! Very nice RV! She had owned 2 sprinter rv’s prior and traded for the wonder on the ford chassis. Just because of the service and the problems she had with the sprinters failing on bio diesel blends. She said she was done with mb and hoped ford would work out better
She was loving the Ford 5 cylinder at 5000 miles and the service she’d got at a local ford dealer. Slightly less power but better mileage I guess . She was super positive on leisure just not the unity sprinter chassis
My daughter works at a mb dealer that does service sprinter motorhomes and had told me they see a lot of them with issues , mostly covered by warranty.

We feel the Ford Transit has plenty of pep - every bit as much as the Sprinter or more. We got good mileage on the Sprinter, too. 16-20 mpg depending on conditions. Driving at a speed of 58-62 mph- gives the best mileage.

Mr.Mark 06-17-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LT (Post 4245598)
We feel the Ford Transit has plenty of pep - every bit as much as the Sprinter or more. We got good mileage on the Sprinter, too. 16-20 mpg depending on conditions. Driving at a speed of 58-62 mph- gives the best mileage.

2LT, the Leisure Travel Wonder has caught my attention. I, too, like the twin bed configuration. There are times that I would like a smaller motorhome for the 'out of the way' places where I can't take the 45 footer.

Are the twin beds comfortable for sitting during the day? Do the pillows offer good back support or did you add extra pillows?

I saw a while back the LT had a 'floor plan' contest and one of them looked absolutely perfect with the bed crossways at the back that made a sofa and would open to a bed. The bath had a 'swing-a-way' sink to allow for a smaller bath but fully functional. I sure hope that one makes it into production.

Otherwise, the twin bed floor-plan is very nice too. I was just wondering about comfort.

Looking at all the class B's/B+ units offered, I find myself right back looking at Leisure Travel.

Thank you for any info,
Mark

User1011 06-17-2018 04:56 PM

The Wonder had two rather large wedge type pillows. We really didn't like them as we thought they were too large and bulky. So I put two (2) 24 x 24 square pillows on each bed to provide something to lean against. Found the coverings on eBay.. perfect color match. Works perfect for us.

Beds are very comfortable - no need for any kind of a mattress topper.

Skgust 06-19-2018 11:45 AM

Thank you, we live 20 minutes south of San Francisco. I think I’ll be calling the MB service centers closest to us.

HighDesert 06-20-2018 11:29 AM

There are also MB authorized dealers in San Jose for the Sprinter series.