iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Moisture in refrigerator (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/moisture-in-refrigerator-408299.html)

4Bill 08-26-2018 08:12 PM

Moisture in refrigerator

I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that is collecting moisture on the ceiling of the refrigerator and dripping down on the shelves. Some of that moisture has frozen even with the temp. set at 38 degrees. The freezer is working fine. Didn't think to check the door seals but the doors open normally and i have not seen any water leaks. Anyone have a clue?

Sbrownstein 08-26-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Bill (Post 4368147)
I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that is collecting moisture on the ceiling of the refrigerator and dripping down on the shelves. Some of that moisture has frozen even with the temp. set at 38 degrees. The freezer is working fine. Didn't think to check the door seals but the doors open normally and i have not seen any water leaks. Anyone have a clue?

I suspect that your evaporator fan is not working or the coils are iced up and ineffective. Usually this results is condensation on surfaces in the refrigerator and water collecting at the bottom. The water is not draining out during a defrost cycle or the defrost heater is not running correctly. Normally all moisture in the box will condense on the evaporator coils, which are much, much colder than your setpoint, but not in your unit. 38 degrees is also a little low for the reefer section and will result in areas in the box that are below freezing (near vents, etc). Your ice proves it.

The solution depends on if you have two evaporators (freezer and reefer) or controlled airflow from the freezer to the reefer section.

Ray,IN 08-26-2018 08:49 PM

Use a dollar bill to test the seals, if the bill pulls out easily they are not sealing well, if you meet some resistance they are OK. Place a battery fan inside the box to circulate air and reduce cold spots.
Above all, impress on your family the importance of deciding what is to be removed before opening a door. Opening a door then standing there deciding is not good practice. Absorption units are slow to recover, and every time a door is opened most of the cold air spills out, only to be replaced by warm humid air.

Old-Biscuit 09-03-2018 01:09 PM

Per KitchenAid Manual:

Int Interior moisture buildup
NOTE: Some moisture buildup is normal. Clean with a soft dry cloth.
*Room is humid -A humid environment contributes to moisture buildup. Only use the refrigerator in an indoor location, with as little humidity as possible.
*Doors are opened often or not closed completely -This allows humid air to enter the refrigerator.

*Minimize door openings, keep the doors fully closed, and make sure both doors are properly sealed.