iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Insulated glass.... What if? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/insulated-glass-what-if-409647.html)

uglyhog 09-04-2018 09:17 PM

Insulated glass.... What if?
 
What if I just break the inside window? (inside lite for those that understand insulated windows)
It's tempered, so it would be really easy to break it. Just a mess.

So instead of replacing the whole thing, why not?
It only takes a light tap to make it explode.
Inside lite gone. Outside lite just needs to be cleaned.

Remember I'm just a stupid truck driver trying to save money.

grindstone01 09-04-2018 09:22 PM

Or contact a window repair shop. They should be able to order a tempered glass replacement.

uglyhog 09-04-2018 09:30 PM

Foggy glass, they want to much money to fix / replace.

Yaj 09-04-2018 09:45 PM

I did just what your thinking of doing.
I then taped around the window and calked over the broken pieces that stayed stuck in the frame. I left the little pieces in the frame to help hold it all together.

uglyhog 09-04-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaj (Post 4383966)
I did just what your thinking of doing.
I then taped around the window and calked over the broken pieces that stayed stuck in the frame. I left the little pieces in the frame to help hold it all together.

Thank you.

ScoobyDoo 09-05-2018 07:51 AM

Would it be better to use a glass cutter?

cataska 09-05-2018 07:56 AM

Might be better to fix it right, cheap usually turns to expensive.

uglyhog 09-05-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo (Post 4384368)
Would it be better to use a glass cutter?

Tempered glass cannot be cut.

uglyhog 09-05-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataska (Post 4384373)
Might be better to fix it right, cheap usually turns to expensive.

I respectfully disagree.

Tha_Rooster 09-05-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo (Post 4384368)
Would it be better to use a glass cutter?



You canít cut tempered glass.

richardgood 09-05-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglyhog (Post 4383926)
What if I just break the inside window? (inside lite for those that understand insulated windows)
It's tempered, so it would be really easy to break it. Just a mess.

So instead of replacing the whole thing, why not?
It only takes a light tap to make it explode.
Inside lite gone. Outside lite just needs to be cleaned.

Remember I'm just a stupid truck driver trying to save money.

I have one in my RV that was like that when I bought it. You may find it will leak past the outer rubber seal with the inner glass missing. I still have leaks around the window, though much reduced since I recaulked everything. I havent replaced it as it butts up to the dash necessitating removal of the dash to get to some of the screws holding the window frame together.

Bigd9 09-05-2018 11:51 AM

I'm getting all of our windows defogged in 2 weeks for $200 per window with warranty. They remove the entire window, remove the glass, seperate the panes clean and then reseal the glass. I like the double pane glass for sound and temperature insulation.

If I was in the market to buy a coach and I saw the inner panes were broken, i would say "Thanks, but no thanks, I will look elsewhere".

uglyhog 09-05-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigd9 (Post 4384754)
I'm getting all of our windows defogged in 2 weeks for $200 per window with warranty. They remove the entire window, remove the glass, seperate the panes clean and then reseal the glass. I like the double pane glass for sound and temperature insulation.

If I was in the market to buy a coach and I saw the inner panes were broken, i would say "Thanks, but no thanks, I will look elsewhere".

I am keeping it, it wont be for sale. It will be parked 95 percent of the time. When I do drive it I need to see out of the window.

redcolorado 09-05-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigd9 (Post 4384754)
I'm getting all of our windows defogged in 2 weeks for $200 per window with warranty. They remove the entire window, remove the glass, seperate the panes clean and then reseal the glass. I like the double pane glass for sound and temperature insulation.

If I was in the market to buy a coach and I saw the inner panes were broken, i would say "Thanks, but no thanks, I will look elsewhere".

Where are getting them done? All of the windows on my 2008 Bounder are fogged and I want to get some fixed/replaced before we go to Alaska next year.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.