iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Insulated glass.... What if? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/insulated-glass-what-if-409647.html)

Bigd9 09-05-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglyhog (Post 4384791)
I am keeping it, it wont be for sale. It will be parked 95 percent of the time. When I do drive it I need to see out of the window.

That's fine. No problem at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcolorado (Post 4384973)
Where are getting them done? All of the windows on my 2008 Bounder are fogged and I want to get some fixed/replaced before we go to Alaska next year.

FogDoctor. Right now they are not real busy, but soon as the sunbirds start heading south they will be booked up for a month or so. I think our appointment is for Sept 24 for several days. They have hookups and you can stay in the coach as they work.
https://www.rvfogdr.com/

Alaska is on our bucket List to do!

Bigd9 09-05-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcolorado (Post 4384973)
Where are getting them done? All of the windows on my 2008 Bounder are fogged and I want to get some fixed/replaced before we go to Alaska next year.

I see you are from Texas. There is a company that does windows at that big RV gathering that happens in the desert north of you each winter. Can't remember the name of that gathering for the life on me. :eek: Maybe someone without will respond who doesn't forget as easy as me!

firedoc 09-05-2018 07:13 PM

Had 3 of our windows done near Phoenix 2 years ago. Already fogged up again.

wingnut60 09-05-2018 08:02 PM

Desert north of Texas? You referring to Oklahoma?

Or, are you disoriented and meant to refer to Quartzite, AZ?

RescueRamsey 09-05-2018 08:20 PM

I have a dumb question, why can't you just remove the window in question and drill a few holes in the seal between the panes? Let it sit out in the sun and/or blow through it with compressed air? Just a thought, I've never done this before....

ThePowells 09-05-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RescueRamsey (Post 4385598)
I have a dumb question, why can't you just remove the window in question and drill a few holes in the seal between the panes? Let it sit out in the sun and/or blow through it with compressed air? Just a thought, I've never done this before....

Ramsey, if you will search the term "fogged windows" "drill" you will get a list of threads with previews that will explain the process you are asking about and what the outcome will be.

As somebody said in another thread, trying inexpensive usually ends up costly.

jtjimbo 09-06-2018 05:10 AM

I haven't heard about this "fogging glass" before, what is this caused from?

charliez 09-06-2018 05:19 AM

I haven't heard about this "fogging glass" before, what is this caused from?

Double glass insulated windows. Two panes of glass sealed together with a gas inside to cut down on heat loss or heat coming in. The seal fails, the gas leaks out, and air gets in. When temps are right the moisture inside condenses and you can't see thru it. Same thing can happen on the insulated windows in your home.

Bigd9 09-06-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedoc (Post 4385483)
Had 3 of our windows done near Phoenix 2 years ago. Already fogged up again.

Oh no, that sure isn't what I wanted to hear! Who did yours?

barmcd 09-06-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglyhog (Post 4383926)
What if I just break the inside window? (inside lite for those that understand insulated windows)
It's tempered, so it would be really easy to break it. Just a mess.

So instead of replacing the whole thing, why not?
It only takes a light tap to make it explode.
Inside lite gone. Outside lite just needs to be cleaned.

Remember I'm just a stupid truck driver trying to save money.

If you have any mechanical inclination at all, you can repair your window fairly easily for about $50 a window and a few hours of your time.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2000...ow-334706.html

RescueRamsey 09-06-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePowells (Post 4385824)
Ramsey, if you will search the term "fogged windows" "drill" you will get a list of threads with previews that will explain the process you are asking about and what the outcome will be.

As somebody said in another thread, trying inexpensive usually ends up costly.

If mine were to fog I would get them repaired proper, I was just trying to think of something other then breaking the glass.... doesn't seem worth it to me.

Alan_Hepburn 09-07-2018 02:32 PM

We had ours done about 3 years ago by Dave Root out of Oregon - he actually came down to our home in San Jose, Ca and did the work. He showed up at our storage yard about 8:00 am and was done with5 windows by 3:00 pm that day. If I recall it cost about $300 per window...

During the summer he spends most of his time going to various rallies but in the off-season he'll come to you anywhere on the west coast.

Bigd9 09-07-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn (Post 4388626)
We had ours done about 3 years ago by Dave Root out of Oregon - he actually came down to our home in San Jose, Ca and did the work. He showed up at our storage yard about 8:00 am and was done with5 windows by 3:00 pm that day. If I recall it cost about $300 per window...

During the summer he spends most of his time going to various rallies but in the off-season he'll come to you anywhere on the west coast.

Dave Root is another one I have heard good things about. How are your 3 year old de-fogged windows doing?

Alan_Hepburn 09-07-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigd9 (Post 4388671)
Dave Root is another one I have heard good things about. How are your 3 year old de-fogged windows doing?

They are still as perfectly clear as when he worked on them - we're satisfied with his work!