iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Onan generator choke help (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/onan-generator-choke-help-414545.html)

emcee 10-08-2018 09:19 AM

Onan generator choke help

2 Attachment(s)
The generator has always had these issues:

1. Cranks at least 30 seconds (longer in winter) before starting.
2. Putters (dieseling?) about 5 seconds after shut down.
3. Cranks and sputters for at least 30 seconds when attempting to start soon after a shut down.

I have noticed that before a cold start when I gently pull the choke rod (see photo) to the left, there is at first a slight resistance then the rod is free and the spring pulls it the rest of the way to the left. It will then start in 10 seconds or less.

What can I do?

OLYLEN 10-08-2018 10:57 AM

Sounds like a fuel problem, that may not be choke. HAVE you changed the fuel filter, and checked fuel pump for flow?

LEN

avfordguy 10-08-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emcee (Post 4439874)
The generator has always had these issues:

1. Cranks at least 30 seconds (longer in winter) before starting.
2. Putters (dieseling?) about 5 seconds after shut down.
3. Cranks and sputters for at least 30 seconds when attempting to start soon after a shut down.

I have noticed that before a cold start when I gently pull the choke rod (see photo) to the left, there is at first a slight resistance then the rod is free and the spring pulls it the rest of the way to the left. It will then start in 10 seconds or less.

What can I do?

That silver disc to the far right in your picture is the bimetalic choke spring, whencoldloosen the nut and turn it so that the rod holds the choke on the carb tighter, they come from onan set for hot climates.

Waiter21 10-09-2018 06:39 AM

Adjust the choke.

See that little round disk shaped thing in the upper right corner.. Loosen the nut on the upper right side of it so you can turn it. Then rotate that round disk thing about 45 - 90 degrees CCW.

I did a short article with photos when I adjusted mine:

Onan Generator Choke Adjustment – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

emcee 10-14-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiter21 (Post 4441427)
Adjust the choke.

See that little round disk shaped thing in the upper right corner.. Loosen the nut on the upper right side of it so you can turn it. Then rotate that round disk thing about 45 - 90 degrees CCW.

I did a short article with photos when I adjusted mine:

Onan Generator Choke Adjustment 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

That worked perfectly!

It was only recently that I realized the generator was not starting correctly. That's because the generator in my previous MH was the same way and I never knew it could be better. So I have been living with this for about 6 years!

Thanks!

exrench 10-16-2018 09:22 AM

Just be happy that your starter motor survived!

Waiter21 10-16-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

That worked perfectly!
GREAT. As AvFordGuy said, I believe Onan originally adjusts these for summer use in Death Valley.. :-)

BirchyBoy 10-16-2018 09:33 AM

Great thread! I need to save this and make this adjustment on mine. It always takes 20-30 seconds to start.