iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Roadside Assistance Policy (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/roadside-assistance-policy-417655.html)

gordonjmcc 10-29-2018 01:03 PM

Roadside Assistance Policy
 
Which may be better. Fmca price is the same But must join Fmca. Have used camping world before. Seemed good. Any input is welcome. Thanks. Gordon

egwilly 10-29-2018 01:29 PM

Please go to the search bar upper right and type in roadside assist.....you'll get plenty of information.

This is a very busy topic all the time.

weredoingit 10-29-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egwilly (Post 4474530)

This is a very busy topic all the time.

It must be a good topic? Isn't that what forums are for? People don't have to reply or read. Please I don't mean any offense, but isn't a forum for asking questions and getting replies?

gabeears 10-29-2018 02:34 PM

I had good Sam many years but switched to FMCA 2 years ago due to a lot of negative comments. Used FMCA twice this year and was very impressed with there service.

weredoingit 10-29-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonjmcc (Post 4474499)
Which may be better. Fmca price is the same But must join Fmca. Have used camping world before. Seemed good. Any input is welcome. Thanks. Gordon

The few times Iíve needed help AAA has never let me down. Iíve never owned a motor home, just 5th wheels and boats. Been with AAA over 25 years and have no reason to shop elsewhere.

Steve70605 10-30-2018 07:18 AM

Have had Good sam for past 4 years. Switching to FMCA in January when mine expires. Better coverage for less than 1/2 cost.

FWIW

MSHappyCampers 10-30-2018 09:09 AM

We have been using Good Sam Roadside Assistance since 2001, but will be changing to FMCA when the contract expires. FMCA offers many benefits for the membership cost. :thumb::D

weredoingit 10-30-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve70605 (Post 4475554)
Have had Good sam for past 4 years. Switching to FMCA in January when mine expires. Better coverage for less than 1/2 cost.

FWIW

Do you mind saying what half the cost is per year? How many service calls/Tows?
How many miles will they tow?

With AAA DW and I get 5 roadside assistance each per year. We each get 1- 200 mile tow and 4 each 100 mile tows or any roadside assistance.
I'll have to look it up but I think we pay $176 per year.

Ramets 10-30-2018 11:00 AM

My roadside assistance was a $24 rider to my Progressive policy. In over 6yrs. we needed a tow 3 times. Once we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon and the truck had to come from Whitehorse 180 miles away. That's 360 miles round trip and Progressive had no problem with it. I even demanded a lowboy trailer as I didn't want my coach towed over the frost heaves while on a hook. $24 was a pretty cheap cost to pay for those tows.

twogypsies 10-30-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramets (Post 4475905)
My roadside assistance was a $24 rider to my Progressive policy. In over 6yrs. we needed a tow 3 times. Once we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon and the truck had to come from Whitehorse 180 miles away. That's 360 miles round trip and Progressive had no problem with it. I even demanded a lowboy trailer as I didn't want my coach towed over the frost heaves while on a hook. $24 was a pretty cheap cost to pay for those tows.

We did the same with excellent results for our only tow …. long story but we bought a used 5th wheel and truck for our Alaska trip. The truck broke down in Death Valley enroute. We got a tow for the truck and the 5th wheel - 2 flatbeds. They came over from Lone Pine - 150 mi round trip.


These specialized roadside policies use the very same tow trucks but you're paying a higher price.

End of story: After truck was repaired we went back to our starting poing in Arizona; dropped the truck & 5th wheel off at a consignment & sold both within 2 months. We drove our 40' motorhome & Jeep to Alaska without one problem. Should have done that in the first place!

ThePowells 10-31-2018 12:36 AM

Here is a link to the previous 6100 + discussions. Take a trip through any 5 of the last two weeks and you will have 10X the information you will get from a single discussion.

RoadEyePie 10-31-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePowells (Post 4476839)
Here is a link to the previous 6100 + discussions. Take a trip through any 5 of the last two weeks and you will have 10X the information you will get from a single discussion.

where's the link?

Mr_D 10-31-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weredoingit (Post 4474536)
It must be a good topic? Isn't that what forums are for? People don't have to reply or read. Please I don't mean any offense, but isn't a forum for asking questions and getting replies?

It is a good topic, that's why the search function finds thousands of posts on it.

egwilly 10-31-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weredoingit (Post 4474536)
It must be a good topic? Isn't that what forums are for? People don't have to reply or read. Please I don't mean any offense, but isn't a forum for asking questions and getting replies?

No Offense taken.....You're right, but what I was trying to assist you with was the fact that there are literally 100's of discussions on this topic from all over the RV web blogs and forums. You'll find many answers and thoughts on this and other topics when you expand from just one posting on one web forum. This is how I research my needs when making decisions about this. Just a suggestion was what I offered.

I find that the experience folks have with these companies depends on where they are, and what kind of service they need. Tows generally take longer to respond to. Motor homes and large trailers require heavy lift equipment. Right now my GoodSam Roadside App shows 300-320 minutes response time to tow service, 70-90 minutes for other services. But, we live in Southern California, which has more needs. I've seen the tow response as high as 500 minutes!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.