iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Diesel Pusher MPG (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/diesel-pusher-mpg-427197.html)

PeterFTH 01-25-2019 12:50 PM

2002 Travel Supreme 40' Class A - 8.8 400hp Cummins Allison 6 speed always driven in the economy mode cruise 60mph no toad (MC on a lift) get a steady 10 mpg. Approximately 36,000 lbs. Your mileage will vary depending on how you accelerate, what speeds you cruise at, how heavy is your towed vehicle, terrain (if you go up in elevation your mileage will drop, but you'll get it back when you come back down).
Peter

sledbiker1 01-25-2019 03:27 PM

Well now, Miles per Gallon not important... knowing how to fix the rig Important. Watch out you don't put it on lease or finance contract and end up paying for a lifetime of interest.

Let the sun shine all through your holidays and if it rains I hope you got alot of space. Anything over 36 feet, you should have enough space...

Coldjensens 01-25-2019 04:26 PM

Notwithstanding all the attacks on the validity of the question (you should not care about MPG and should not be asking this question) and all the "it depends on different variables, there is no answer, there are a lot so useful responses here.

Figuring out a ballpark budget, I can use 6.5 MPG, which helps both with budgeting and considering how much we might want to move around. this is helpful for addressing one of a hundred issues to consider. thank you to those who provided meaningful responses and to the OP for asking what is in fact a valid question.

Tha_Rooster 01-25-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake21 (Post 4593488)
6 years and over 100,000 miles full timing. Have no idea what my actual mpg is. I just fill when needed.

Well said.

sledbiker1 01-25-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
6 years and over 100,000 miles full timing. Have no idea what my actual mpg is. I just fill when needed.

Well said.

Thats it. Hit the nail on the head.

Mr.Mark 01-25-2019 06:16 PM

:eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sledbiker1 (Post 4606295)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post

Well said.

Thats it. Hit the nail on the head.

Well, No. :nonono:

If you are using a gallon of antifreeze every 1,000 miles or a gallon of oil every 1,000 miles, this is something that is indicating a problem. :facepalm:

If you are getting 5.5 mpg on average and you weigh 35,000 lbs. and most others are getting 10 mpg, you might need to see if there is a problem. :blink:

That's the purpose of checking, to see if all the parameters are in order.

Going blind could bite you, and bite you hard! :eek:

Mark

jabassmaster 01-25-2019 08:13 PM

2006 winnebago journey, 360 hp cat, 8.2 mpg pulling crv at 63 mph, 9 mpg w/o toad. .

CountryFit 01-25-2019 08:25 PM

2 weeks ago I was looking at a 07 Country Coach Intrigue with a Cat C13 on it. I had Cat dealer pull the ECM report. With lifetime 51000 miles, the average MPG was 6.

sledbiker1 01-26-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Mark (Post 4606400)
:eek:

Well, No. :nonono:

If you are using a gallon of antifreeze every 1,000 miles or a gallon of oil every 1,000 miles, this is something that is indicating a problem. :facepalm:

If this was happening, you might want to look in the side mirror, that white cloud that follows you where ever you go is coming from the motor same goes for a black cloud, black cloud motor oil, white cloud prestone.

If you are getting 5.5 mpg on average and you weigh 35,000 lbs. and most others are getting 10 mpg, you might need to see if there is a problem. :blink:

If you are getting poor mileage, it won't be a motor problem, it will be foot feed, using cruise control up big hills, freeway, city, stop and go, like listening to the motor when you hit the loud switch, using engine braking, when you could have coasted, getting there before everyone else, not roller coasting well i've got to save some has I still want to be a champion at MPG...

That's the purpose of checking, to see if all the parameters are in order.

Going blind could bite you, and bite you hard! :eek:

Mark

Oh By the way, if you have those cloud problems that'll affect your MPG.

Just saying... Going blind could bite you...

BHyatt 01-26-2019 12:01 PM

36 Winnebago Forza 2014 with a 240 hp Cummins engine. We spend a lot of time on US and state highways and keep our speed at about 62 mph on Interstates. We consistently get between 10.5 and 12 miles per gallon.

Juancoloncor 01-26-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan104 (Post 4591417)
Looking at 2000 to 2006 Diesel Pushers 36 to 40' long. Being I like to know what I am getting into in advance. Please let me know what MPG you are getting. Please include year, model, length, Cummins or CAT, HP, interstate cruising speed driven. Thanks

6.9 0n Tropical 37.1' 350 turbo engine.

Piker 01-26-2019 09:03 PM

It's important to note that mileage can't be tracked accurately on a single tank. You have to check it over long distances and the course of time. On a large tank, you can't always get the tank to the same level depending on how flat the ground is at the refueling station. The lowest MPG that I have recorded on a single tank was 9.4 - with the highest at almost 13. Neither of those is a true representation of the actual fuel economy of the engine.

I think because of the differences in the amount of fuel I end up with in the tank at each fill up, I can't really see an accurate pattern with regard to fuel mileage for mountain driving vs flat lands cruising... though I am sure there must be a difference.

On a 7500 mile journey out west and back, our average MPG was 10.3 - but that includes the fuel used by the generator that ran 122 hours over the course of the trip. I put together a simple spreadsheet that allows me to estimate the amount of fuel that the generator uses, so I can come up with an estimate for the drive engine. I posted the results of our 7500 mile trip here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/urge...ml#post3154432

FWIW... just remember that our pusher is light duty compared to what most people have. It's only 34' long, and right around 22k fully loaded... not to mention a more aerodynamic front end than most. It also has the old P-Pumped mechanical 12 valve Cummins - which has a reputation as one of the more efficient light duty diesels on the road.

cheers

loren harris 01-26-2019 09:51 PM

Miles per gal?

In the industrial world of construction and open pit mining it is pretty much Cat or Cummings. Cats were harder on fuel and our shovels were more efficient with Cummings engines. In the RV world it seems to follow about the same. I think you will find it tough to beat a cummings engine. I had a Tiffin 37 Ap and at 12,000 miles was getting loosened up enough to get 12 MPG. We then had a 45 ft with a 6oo hp cummings and it got 4 and built up to 8 mpg depending on the wind. Wind is your best friend or your worst enemy. It takes time to break in a diesel and that is a good thing. Our presently new 2019 40 IP is getting 7 with 3,000 miles on it but I know that will increase as I get more miles on it. You may have to decide not to travel if it is a high head wind day or except a slower day traveling. Give it time to break in and use good fuel and good filters and good oil. Cheap will get you.:dance:

CruisinCondo 01-26-2019 11:17 PM

I get 8.2 mph over the 70,000 miles I have driven my coach. I have a 40 foot 32,000 pound coach with ISC 330 Cummings engine. I tow a 6000 pound Tahoe. At $4 per gallon it equates to about 50 cents per mile. I cruise between 62 and 70 mph.