iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Diesel Pusher MPG (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/diesel-pusher-mpg-427197.html)

stevewitt1 01-29-2019 08:56 PM

Thanks Powerstroke2000
Your name caught my attention immediately. Prior to buying my DP I drove a 1995 Triple-E 29ft Class C. It was sort of a family MH. On a 3000 mile trip to Boston & back driving 57mph (no tach in it) I averaged 14.8 mpg. That old 7.3 Cornbinder PowerStroke was such a smooth running engine. After buying my DP I sold the Triple-E to a friend any he's consistantly averaging 14.5-15+ mpg. If that MH had at least 1 slide I think I'd have bought my brothers out and kept it. What a far cry from the 6.0 PS that ford replaced it with. I hear the newer 6.7's are back to being good engines. I'm not experienced with the DEF engines yet. I drive a 2018 Chev Colorado with a 2.8 Duramax and a 2019 Equinox 1.6 liter diesel (toad vehicle) but they only have 4,000 and 2,900 miles on them respectively so I haven't had to add DEF yet. They're small but I like the mileage. The Colorado gets mid 30's at 70mph and the Equinox is in the 40.'s. I've heard that the DEF engines in pickups aren't a economical as the pre-DEF. But, I'm not in a position to make a valid judgement myself.

Steve

[moderator edit]

Powerstroke2000 01-29-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevewitt1 (Post 4613089)
Thanks Powerstroke2000
Your name caught my attention immediately. Prior to buying my DP I drove a 1995 Triple-E 29ft Class C. It was sort of a family MH. On a 3000 mile trip to Boston & back driving 57mph (no tach in it) I averaged 14.8 mpg. That old 7.3 Cornbinder PowerStroke was such a smooth running engine. After buying my DP I sold the Triple-E to a friend and he's consistantly averaging 14.5-15+ mpg. If that MH had at least 1 slide I think I'd have bought my brothers out and kept it. What a far cry from the 6.0 PS that ford replaced it with. I hear the newer 6.7's are back to being good engines. I'm not experienced with the DEF engines yet. I drive a 2018 Chev Colorado with a 2.8 Duramax and a 2019 Equinox 1.6 liter diesel (toad vehicle) but they only have 4,000 and 2,900 miles on them respectively so I haven't had to add DEF yet. They're small but I like the mileage. The Colorado gets mid 30's at 70mph and the Equinox is in the 40.'s. I've heard that the DEF engines in pickups aren't a economical as the pre-DEF. But, I'm not in a position to make a valid judgement myself.

Steve

visit us at:Oconto Yacht Club

I'm currently running an '09 F450 with the 6.4 which has in excess of 500 HP, albeit I never run it hard, but without the emission need for DEF and a Programmer it has a ton of power, where before buying the DP motorhome I had an Arctic Fox camper in the bed, then an 18' enclosed trailer with 'toys' behind. There really where not many hills I couldn't do the speed limit on, as I did watch my EGT's (exhaust gas temps) and kept them in a safe temp when pulling hard. LOVE the truck, as it's SO comfortable, is 4X4 and has been a great truck over the years, but will be selling it in the coming months. I never did check the mileage on it, as I just fill the tank as needed, and even would add a diesel fuel supplement from time to time, so that of course is added cost, but I hoped it was doing some good to the fuel system, never a bad thing. I do find getting a full service on the Cummins annually is quite a hit to the pocketbook, but keeping it in top shape is important I believe. I'd like to start doing my own oil changes and fuel filter changes, which may save a little. I try to do as many of the smaller jobs as possible on my rig, and as I learn more I may do more in the future. Be safe, be free! :)

Mr.Mark 01-30-2019 08:07 AM

Mr. Steve, regarding your Bounder, is your 3,000 transmission a 5 speed?

We have the 4,000 six speed Allison and at 55 mph I'm turning 1,200 RPM's in 6th gear. The Allison will shift into 6th exactly at 55 mph. We can stay in 6th gear down to 50 unless I really push the throttle.

Just curious.
Mark

Carminehd 01-30-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowhut (Post 4612670)
You don't buy a diesel pusher if you are concerned with mpg. Just fill the tank and go and enjoy. Most will get right at 8.

You don’t buy any RV if you are worried about MPG.

a7pilot 01-30-2019 06:28 PM

Have a 35 footer. Get 12 to 14 mpg. Get much better setting in campground.

Piker 01-30-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carminehd (Post 4613744)
You don’t buy any RV if you are worried about MPG.

Depends on how you define “worry” though doesn’t it? I’m not necessarily “worried” about mileage, but when I was shopping for a used motorhome (aka “hunk of garbage”) I decided that the old 12v Cummins/Allison 3060 combo would be the best fit for us... for several reasons... one of those being fuel economy. Why spend more money on fuel if you don’t have to? For us, it means 20% more traveling over something that gets, well... 20% worse fuel economy. :rolleyes:

Those of us who are motorheads love the hp and torque of these rigs. Calculating fuel economy... finding the sweet spot for the best mileage... and tweaking performance is all part of the hobby. For others, the whole thing is mostly a lifestyle choice, and the mechanical stuff isn’t part of the hobby. To each his own, right? Unless you’re involved with a forum and then you type with one hand and fling poo with the other. :D

The modern V8 diesels in the pickup trucks are awesome. They have the low end grunt you associate with a Diesel engine, but run at high enough Rpms to produce ridiculous horsepower. Makes for a lot of fun. We had a 2002 4 door dually duramax with a 4” turbo back exhaust... PPE tuner... and a 56 gallon custom fuel tank. It was like driving an 8000lb sports car. 450 hp... 18mpg on the highway empty... 15 around town... and around 11 loaded up at 23,000 lbs with a trailer. It was a serious hoot! You know... if your into that kind of thing. :whistling:

RWDJR. 01-30-2019 08:20 PM

The smile on my face when I’m driving my still new to me DP tells me I’m not to concerned about mpgs lol. If I were to guess, it’s about 8. Leaving Sunday, will do a real math check and get back.

OutdoorsBorn 01-30-2019 08:33 PM

MPG- Really depends on the terrain. We usually put in around $70 - $100 per a trip and don't go more than 280 miles in a trip.

Year: 2009
Model: Tiffin Allegro Bay
Length: 37 Ft
Cummins 375
interstate cruising speed driven: 60ish

LickingTexas 01-31-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL (Post 4605129)
If you are paying $12-$13 at Walmart for 2.5 gals of DEF you getting screwed. DEF at pumps $2.50-3.00 per gallon. Its a known fact that onboard MPG computers are very optimistic. My mileage about 7.4 towing a Suburban. 62mph seems to be the sweet spot. I hand figure my MPG also. Nothing wrong with discussing this subject. If you don't think people with high dollar coaches should care, that's your opinion. Cummins ISB 9-10, ISC 8-9, ISL 7-8, ISX 6-7, Detroit Diesel 4-5. Anybody claiming a lot more than above is full of BS.

Well said, there's a lot of BS! It's just a simple question, answer it in a simple way. How much did your fishing line cost, WELL if you got to asked how much fishing line cost, you can't afford to go fishing..

sledbiker1 01-31-2019 07:59 AM

I see or saw that some are talking about RPMs to get better MPG's. I know my coach when climbing long big hills and if you lugg the motor to a point were it is forced to gear down, take a look down at the temp gauge. Now if you had forced the gear change earlier by throttle control the higher revs will cool your motor down, of course's this is for all the older models with out electric fan controls or hydraulic controled fan side radiators.

So I guess my point is, how much more diesel did I burn wasn't so important, I'm happy she's happy and she runs like a Cat not a Dawg.

RWDJR. 01-31-2019 08:09 AM

This was 15 years ago when I was on the diesel forums with my 6.0 ford. When mpg was discussed it wasn’t about rpms, it was about exhaust temps. The closer to 600 you could keep it, the better your fuel mileage. BUT, that was on a deleted truck before all this emissions crap.

pub1898 01-31-2019 08:56 AM

I know Jimmie made a V 12
I wasn’t aware of a Cummins V 12 diesel

tropical36 01-31-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piker (Post 4614469)
Depends on how you define “worry” though doesn’t it? I’m not necessarily “worried” about mileage, but when I was shopping for a used motorhome (aka “hunk of garbage”) I decided that the old 12v Cummins/Allison 3060 combo would be the best fit for us... for several reasons... one of those being fuel economy. Why spend more money on fuel if you don’t have to? For us, it means 20% more traveling over something that gets, well... 20% worse fuel economy. :rolleyes:

Is it even possible for researching and finding the best quality coach possible for yourself and one that meets your budget, if you're also trying to narrow it down to the best fuel mileage, as well?
With our last purchase, I gave no consideration whatsoever to it's would be fuel economy vs other units, which would have most surely, driven me crazy, as a result. I mean, now much difference can there actually be and would find that one's style of driving would be more important.
As a last resort, like I've always said for putting free fuel in your tank, stay at a Walmart or other, overnight.....:popcorn:

sledbiker1 02-01-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropical36 (Post 4615365)
Is it even possible for researching and finding the best quality coach possible for yourself and one that meets your budget, if you're also trying to narrow it down to the best fuel mileage, as well?
With our last purchase, I gave no consideration whatsoever to it's would be fuel economy vs other units, which would have most surely, driven me crazy, as a result. I mean, now much difference can there actually be and would find that one's style of driving would be more important.
As a last resort, like I've always said for putting free fuel in your tank, stay at a Walmart or other, overnight.....:popcorn:

Well said...:thumb: