iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Military / Veteran RVing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   Last-ditch effort to pass Blue Water Navy bill fails in Senate (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/last-ditch-effort-to-pass-blue-water-navy-bill-fails-in-senate-431746.html)

skypilot_1 06-28-2019 10:21 AM

They, VA will set the requirements one will have to meet to be eligible. Maybe in a while they will publish the ships and dates that are covered. But yes, you will have to file a claim. I'd be askin if the coverage will be retroactive. But your call.

Traildust 06-28-2019 03:09 PM

I was on the Oriskany 71 to 74 and I am pretty sure the Ranger was there during that period. I know it stayed tied up to the pier at Subic for about 6 months sometime around 72 to 73? We called it building 61. Someone sabotaged the gear box or something if I remember right.
Bill

skypilot_1 07-24-2019 01:37 PM

Justice is Served

https://www.ihelpveterans.org/blogs/..._subsrc=member

Old-Biscuit 07-24-2019 02:14 PM

A lawsuit was filed Monday against Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie over his decision to delay claims processing for tens of thousands of “Blue Water” Navy veterans until next year.

https://www.stripes.com/lawsuit-file...-vets-1.591432

powerboatr 07-24-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 4879682)
A lawsuit was filed Monday against Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie over his decision to delay claims processing for tens of thousands of “Blue Water” Navy veterans until next year.

https://www.stripes.com/lawsuit-file...-vets-1.591432

i when i read this last week, i went nuts as well.
i burned up a few phone lines. made zero sense to file now and not get results until next year. this has been a hot topic for years. glad its finally getting the move on.

JohnH12 07-25-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerboatr (Post 4879758)
i when i read this last week, i went nuts as well.
i burned up a few phone lines. made zero sense to file now and not get results until next year. this has been a hot topic for years. glad its finally getting the move on.

Any disability money would be paid retroactive to the date filed.

Old-Biscuit 07-25-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH12 (Post 4880532)
Any disability money would be paid retroactive to the date filed.

That is one of the issues that is NOT clear.
Secretary of Veterans Affairs has delayed all Blue Water Navy AO Claims processing until AFTER Jan 1, 2020..

Reading the actual HR Bill it is clear as mud what/how that affects date used to establish claim and therefore disability date.

WesPac Jan-Aug 1973 Vietnam Waters
Diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 on July 31, 2018
Submitted AO Claim July 22, 2019
Claims delayed until Jan 1, 2020

SO what should be my 'disability' date?
1973....Vietnam Waters
2018....Diagnosis
2019....File Claim
2020....Delay date

July 22, 2019 when I filed claim....date of filing.
BUT will that now be Jan 1, 2020 due to Secretary of Veterans Affairs delaying tactics??????

a1albert 07-25-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 4880887)
That is one of the issues that is NOT clear.
Secretary of Veterans Affairs has delayed all Blue Water Navy AO Claims processing until AFTER Jan 1, 2020..

Reading the actual HR Bill it is clear as mud what/how that affects date used to establish claim and therefore disability date.

WesPac Jan-Aug 1973 Vietnam Waters
Diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 on July 31, 2018
Submitted AO Claim July 22, 2019
Claims delayed until Jan 1, 2020

SO what should be my 'disability' date?
1973....Vietnam Waters
2018....Diagnosis
2019....File Claim
2020....Delay date

July 22, 2019 when I filed claim....date of filing.
BUT will that now be Jan 1, 2020 due to Secretary of Veterans Affairs delaying tactics??????

As for as disability pay it should go back two years prior to filling your claim but not sure on an illness that developed later may go back to the first sign of illness or two years which ever is less, if you are using a VSO talk to them.

Old-Biscuit 07-26-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1albert (Post 4882035)
As for as disability pay it should go back two years prior to filling your claim but not sure on an illness that developed later may go back to the first sign of illness or two years which ever is less, if you are using a VSO talk to them.

Per VA.GOV/Disability

If we get your claim more than 1 year after your separation from active service, the effective date is the date we got your claim or when you first got your illness or injury—whichever is later.

Change in Law or VA Regulation:
If we get your claim within one year of a law or regulation changing, the effective date may be the date the law or regulation changed.

Traildust 07-26-2019 12:23 AM

I guess I have to ask this but just how do I file a claim. The reason I ask is that I retired in 1991 and have never used or had any contact with the VA. I don't have any disabilities by the VA but do have type 2 diabetes and some other things I've always felt were military related. I was on the flight deck of the Oriskany for three Golf of Tonkin WestPac cruises except for the 10 months they dumped me in Da Nang Republic Of.
Bill

Old-Biscuit 07-26-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traildust (Post 4882048)
I guess I have to ask this but just how do I file a claim. The reason I ask is that I retired in 1991 and have never used or had any contact with the VA. I don't have any disabilities by the VA but do have type 2 diabetes and some other things I've always felt were military related. I was on the flight deck of the Oriskany for three Golf of Tonkin WestPac cruises except for the 10 months they dumped me in Da Nang Republic Of.
Bill

Contact local American Legions, VFW or a VA Clinic/Medical Center etc
Ask if they have a VSO (Veterans Service Officer).

You SHOULD file a claim....
VSO can help you get needed info/documents and file claim

Traildust 07-26-2019 01:42 PM

Much Thanks Old Biscuit. :)
Bill

Stano 08-04-2019 08:08 AM

I use the DAV office at Fort Custer near Battle Creek, Michigan!

Stano :D

Traildust 08-21-2019 06:04 PM

Filed m intent to claim disability and started gathering dd214's and everything I held on to over the years decided to go with a VSO. I finally got set up with a local VSO here. He seems to put more emphasis on my in country times than the Blue Water Law. Big problem for me is actually proving when and how long I was there, waiting for records now.
Bill