iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/)
-   -   Kwikee Best Level 3000 Hydraulic oil level (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/kwikee-best-level-3000-hydraulic-oil-level-432490.html)

fastwhls 02-26-2019 02:28 PM

Kwikee Best Level 3000 Hydraulic oil level

Have a 2006 winnebago sightseer 34a. Just wondering how I can check the hydraulic fluid level for my leveling jacks. The reservoir is hard to reach with slides in and Jack's up. Can I check it with slides out and Jack's in lowered position.....?

Ray,IN 02-26-2019 08:16 PM

If your jacks have springs to retract them, the jacks must be fully-retracted to accurately check oil level. If you add oil with jacks extended, the system will blow the oil out of the reservoir(big mess) when you do retract the jacks. If the slides are double-acting, in or out makes no difference.

fastwhls 02-26-2019 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 4653954)
If your jacks have springs to retract them, the jacks must be fully-retracted to accurately check oil level. If you add oil with jacks extended, the system will blow the oil out of the reservoir(big mess) when you do retract the jacks. If the slides are double-acting, in or out makes no difference.

I learned that lesson the hard way and had to do some cleaning up not too much. Being on wheelchair only way I could check the level was with slide out and in order have the slide out Jacks had to be down to have the coach leveled. I have a leak on one of the jacks and when I checked and saw no fluid in reservoir, i was worried I might damage the system running it with no fluid. Seems like I have to replace the that jack...Attachment 236221Attachment 236222

Mudfrog 02-26-2019 11:23 PM

The slides aren't hydraulic, are they? If not, I would park on level ground, leave the jacks stored, but extend the slide so that you can reach the reservoir. I know this isn't recommended procedure but I have done it on ours a time or two.

After about 13 years, about the same length of time of yours, one of the jacks on ours began leaking. Was very slow at first but it wasn't long before it got worse and then another of the jacks began leaking. Read on here where people had luck with transmission "stop leak" type products so tried one. It didn't help at all. Matter of fact, the leakage seemed to get worse.

I initially thought the Kwikee jacks could be rebuilt but I found out that it wasn't feasible trying to go that route. I had to replace the two leaking ones and then about 6 months later, found that the other two began leaking. Ended up buying and replacing those as well. Working fine now and I hope these new ones go at least another 13 years.

fastwhls 02-27-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudfrog (Post 4654176)
The slides aren't hydraulic, are they? If not, I would park on level ground, leave the jacks stored, but extend the slide so that you can reach the reservoir. I know this isn't recommended procedure but I have done it on ours a time or two.

After about 13 years, about the same length of time of yours, one of the jacks on ours began leaking. Was very slow at first but it wasn't long before it got worse and then another of the jacks began leaking. Read on here where people had luck with transmission "stop leak" type products so tried one. It didn't help at all. Matter of fact, the leakage seemed to get worse.

I initially thought the Kwikee jacks could be rebuilt but I found out that it wasn't feasible trying to go that route. I had to replace the two leaking ones and then about 6 months later, found that the other two began leaking. Ended up buying and replacing those as well. Working fine now and I hope these new ones go at least another 13 years.

No slides are electric. I was thinking about doing what you suggested but was worried the slide may not operate without jacks up but I will give it try. The leak is a little but as you said seems like it's getting more. Thanks for suggestion.

Dive in 03-01-2019 07:12 PM

I have a similar model and just replaced the two rear jacks as the seals were coming out and leaking badly. Not a bad job to do but very pricey at nearly $600 each for the parts! Fronts are dry and hopefully they will stay that way for a while. To check fluid had the jacks up as recommended and slide out to access the reservoir.

fastwhls 03-01-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divein (Post 4658044)
I have a similar model and just replaced the two rear jacks as the seals were coming out and leaking badly. Not a bad job to do but very pricey at nearly $600 each for the parts! Fronts are dry and hopefully they will stay that way for a while. To check fluid had the jacks up as recommended and slide out to access the reservoir.

I got price from winnebago $557 each. Luckily I need only one but still going to have them check other ones.

Mudfrog 03-01-2019 11:34 PM

I shopped around and found them for $387 from Lichtsinn RV. Two of them shipped to my door came to a total of $843. That was back towards the end of 2017 so prices may have gone up since then.

They're not hard to change out with heavy duty socket set but you do need a spanner wrench of the right size to r&r the foot.

fastwhls 03-02-2019 03:54 PM

They come in 10k or 17k pound range depending to diameter of piston.

Mudfrog 03-02-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastwhls (Post 4659200)
They come in 10k or 17k pound range depending to diameter of piston.

Ours are the 10,000 lb capacity jacks. Being that your coach's GVWR is just under 21,000 lbs, I'd think the 10,000 pounders would be the correct ones.

twinboat 03-03-2019 05:49 AM

Your jacks are double acting, meaning oil is used to extend and retract them.

When checking the oil, the jacks need to be retracted ( up ). When extended, there is nothing in the cylinder except oil.

When retracted, the piston rod displaces much of the oil in the cylinder, with much less oil in the retract side.

If they are extended and you fill the reservoir, it may flow out the fill cap or tank vent when you retract.

In most double acting cylinder, there is always more oil in the extended end. There is also more power while extending then retracting.