iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Login Changes - login with email soon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/login-changes-login-with-email-soon-432594.html)

Janet H 02-27-2019 03:38 PM

Login Changes - login with email soon
 
Next week as you login you will be prompted to use your e-mail address and password instead of your username and password. This change is being made for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason has to do with the forum being part of the RV Life family of sites.
Many of us have accounts at other RV Life sites, specifically CampgroundReviews.com (formerly RV Park Reviews). In time you will be able to login to The Forum as well as other RV Life sites where you have accounts with the same login, simplifying things substantially.
We hope to have an enhanced mobile app available as well that will allow you to read and post on multiple RV Life sites where you have registered an account if you desire, although this is not yet fully developed.

Some other reasons:
  • Username logins were case sensitive and often had punctuation that could be miskeyed or forgotten and has been a regular cause of login trouble.
  • It's easier to remember your e-mail address then username for most folks.
  • E-mail address are not visible on the forum but usernames (half of the login combo) are and so there is a little better account security.

Your username will remain unchanged and display as usual next to your posts.

If you have trouble logging in with your e-mail address instead of username there will be some prompts on the login screen to help you and a link to update your email address if needed. .

Thanks in advance for your patience with these changes - we're working hard to improve security and keep the site easy to use.

rvethereyet 02-27-2019 08:26 PM

:popcorn: Not sure of the reasoning behind the change

Yosemite77 02-27-2019 09:01 PM

I never heard of the RV Life Network. Hereís list of their sites in case you are interested. https://www.rvlifenetwork.com/rv-traveltrailer/

Winterbagoal 02-27-2019 09:13 PM

How does one delete one's own profile/account?

wagonmaster2 02-27-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvethereyet (Post 4655172)
:popcorn: Not sure of the reasoning behind the change

Me neither. Seems everyone wants a persons e-mail address. Everytime I give my address to a company I'm buying from the number of undesirable incoming e-mails double within a short time.

Winterbagoal 02-27-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 (Post 4655257)
Me neither. Seems everyone wants a persons e-mail address. Everytime I give my address to a company I'm buying from the number of undesirable incoming e-mails double within a short time.

X2.

NLOVNIT 02-27-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvethereyet (Post 4655172)
:popcorn: Not sure of the reasoning behind the change

The main reason, per Janet's post:
Quote:

Many of us have accounts at other RV Life sites, specifically CampgroundReviews.com (formerly RV Park Reviews). In time you will be able to login to The Forum as well as other RV Life sites where you have accounts with the same login, simplifying things substantially.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winterbagoal (Post 4655227)
How does one delete one's own profile/account?

Please use the Contact Us link, found at the bottom of ever page, to request an account closure.

Lori-

KenSherwin 02-28-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 (Post 4655257)
Me neither. Seems everyone wants a persons e-mail address. Everytime I give my address to a company I'm buying from the number of undesirable incoming e-mails double within a short time.

Keep in mind they already have it or you couldn't get email updates.

Brockx 02-28-2019 06:48 AM

I am uncomfortable with making my E Mail password available. At least that is the way I read it, or are you saying E mail password and my IRV2 password?

Matt D 02-28-2019 06:55 AM

How will this affect the search function of this website?

For example, when I refer someone to a past post, I would identify myself as Matt D, not my email.

Iím concerned this change may only lead to confusion in that situation.

-Matt

aether_one 02-28-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brockx (Post 4655497)
I am uncomfortable with making my E Mail password available. At least that is the way I read it, or are you saying E mail password and my IRV2 password?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 4655510)
How will this affect the search function of this website?

For example, when I refer someone to a past post, I would identify myself as Matt D, not my email.

Iím concerned this change may only lead to confusion in that situation.

-Matt

They don't want your email password - your password to this site will not change unless you change it.

Usernames will not change, the only change is: you will use your email address as the Username instead of your "handle"/current username when you log into this site.

Winterbagoal 02-28-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 4655510)
How will this affect the search function of this website?

For example, when I refer someone to a past post, I would identify myself as Matt D, not my email.

Iím concerned this change may only lead to confusion in that situation.

-Matt

I think the problem/reason is that they want to try to increase interest and traffic across all of their websites and forums. Since not everyone can have an identical "handle" username across all of them, for various reasons (already in use by someone else?), they want to use everyone's email address, assuming it's unique, and allow access to all their websites. In my opinion, it's not as simple as using a username, which we all select for simplicity, because email addresses are usually longer than usernames, and not everyone likes to type their entire email address, example JosephAverage@anydomain.com versus a username like "JoefromOhio".
I'm not saying I don't understand the reasoning behind this change, just that it should be optional.



I'm asking that the Moderators/Admin remove my username (Winterbagoal and MikeCanuck) from all their owned domains. I sent a request yesterday through the ContactUs link on the iRV2 website. If they also control WinnieOwners.com, could they please remove me from there as well? I set up MikeCanuck yesterday on iRV2 to see if I could fashion a simplified workaround, but it doesn't function as expected. So, I'll simply ask to be deleted/removed from the RV Life websites.

Admin: If it ever becomes optional to use just a username on your websites again, please drop me an email and I'll probably come back.



Thanks.

MapleKing 02-28-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfryman (Post 4655521)
They don't want your email password - your password to this site will not change unless you change it.

Usernames will not change, the only change is: you will use your email address as the Username instead of your "handle"/current username when you log into this site.

Correct. It's actually more secure as mentioned in the original post. Your username (mine is MapleKing) is visible, everyone has half of your login. Since your email address is unknown, now you have two pieces of data that are more closely held. I think it makes sense...more security and easier to remember.

Michael4104 02-28-2019 09:35 AM

How do we make this happen? I don’t mind change.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.