iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Scuff marks on porcelin tile (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/scuff-marks-on-porcelin-tile-43323.html)

cwg 05-07-2008 04:28 AM

Recently there was a discussion about the steps various owners take to protect rugs from roller marks, but I wonder what the consensus is for protecting the tile from the wear or abrasion marks the same rollers leave, especially from the main living room slide.

Newmar does not have a recommendation other than placing a thin sheet of plastic over the tile when in transport (our method and has worked pretty well but somewhat of a pain to put down when moving daily).

Others have used the small sections of non-skid place mats or rubber doilies, but I welcome your ideas.

cwg 05-07-2008 04:28 AM

Recently there was a discussion about the steps various owners take to protect rugs from roller marks, but I wonder what the consensus is for protecting the tile from the wear or abrasion marks the same rollers leave, especially from the main living room slide.

Newmar does not have a recommendation other than placing a thin sheet of plastic over the tile when in transport (our method and has worked pretty well but somewhat of a pain to put down when moving daily).

Others have used the small sections of non-skid place mats or rubber doilies, but I welcome your ideas.

Dav5942 05-07-2008 04:47 AM

Have been doing the thin sheets of plastic for two years. Still have the marks as we forget half the time to put them down. Got Newmar to send me spare tiles for the future. No real easy answer-except redesign the slides.

rebelsbeach 05-07-2008 04:50 AM

I agree with Dave....

I've never heard of anything else, other than the plastic canvas placemat routine....

CLM 05-07-2008 05:37 AM

What kind of "thin sheet of plastic"?

Dav5942 05-07-2008 05:42 AM

We use the cutting board plastics at Walmarts-they are thin and come in packs of 3/4.

cwg 05-08-2008 02:08 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CLM:
What kind of "thin sheet of plastic"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The plastic Newmar gave me was off a roll of stuff they use for covering the carpets when they enter the coach. Very thin but so far it has worked OK. I was trying to find some other ideas as it is somewhat of a hassle to unfurl it every time.

DonnaB 05-08-2008 11:21 AM

We got the same party line from Newmar (place mats) and have tried several things. What we have had the best success with is....plastic mats we made from plastic 3-ring binders we got a Wal-Mart for 96 cents each. The binders are small 1" binders and the plastic is thin, but has enough stiffness that it is useful for this purpose.

Each binder is cut apart and you get 2 sheets from each one, so for $5 we have 10 sheets which covers the rollers that ago across the tile. Get a can of spray adhesive. Get a roll of the thinnest cheapest rubberized shelf liner material. Using a box knife you can cut apart the binders right next to the fold to the ring part to get the sheets. Cut the thin rubbery shelf liner to fit each piece and adhere to the plastic using the spray adhesive.

Put shelf liner side down in the appropriate spot before bringing in the slides.

Now, you don't have to use the adhesive and rubbery stuff, but then you'll (whomever is not holding the slide-out button) be running along to hold each one of the plastic mats as they tend to slip. The glued on liner helps it stay in place until the roller gets on it. Plus it holds the plastic piece up so hopefully keeping the roller from rubbing and etching the porcelain tile as you toodle down the road.

We have setting the mats as one of our checklist items, so we always remember before bringing in the slides. That's our solution....however, always looking for a better idea.

Dav5942 05-08-2008 11:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
We use the cutting board plastics at Walmarts-they are thin and come in packs of 3/4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These plastics("Flexible Cutting Boards") do not move and bringing in the slides can be done by one person!

DonnaB 05-08-2008 05:33 PM

PS -- We keep the sheets in the pocket on the back of the driver chair along with the clipboard that has our check list.

Dav5942, thanks for the info on the flexible cutting boards. Will try them out.

Scott Fleming 05-08-2008 05:34 PM

That thin plastic cutting board material can be purchased at The Conainer Store. Bigger pieces too. It works really well as shelf liners too.
https://irv2.infopop.cc/images/luxhello.gif

CLM 05-11-2008 11:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We use the cutting board plastics at Walmarts-they are thin and come in packs of 3/4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks very much. There is a 2008 DSDP waiting at my dealer's for when I decide to make the trade.

DonnaB 05-11-2008 02:17 PM

Dav5942,

Tried these out on our last leg of our trip. Found them nice because they are a larger size, and thinner (which initially gave us high hopes). However, still had the same problem that we've had with nearly every solution. As we bring in the slides, it pushes the sheets instead of rolling up on them. This requires someone to "tend" each one to see that it is held in place so this doesn't happen.

You said only one person required to bring in the slides, so you are not having this pushing issue evidently? Do you wet them? Asking as we've been trying to think of other possibilities for success. Thanks up front.

Lug_Nut 05-11-2008 03:59 PM

We use the non-skid rubber place mat fix. They have great traction to stay under while being run over with the rollers and also provide good padded protection. Also make sure the floor is clear of dirt and sand first.
TIP: Wash the placements regularly or they will loss traction after a short time.
They work well.

Peter