iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Handicap grab bars in RVs? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/handicap-grab-bars-in-rvs-435234.html)

Bear415 03-19-2019 12:31 PM

Handicap grab bars in RVs?

I'm strongly weighing the purchase of a Forest River/Rockwood 20 foot bunkhouse travel trailer. They look really nice for the price.

However, I have a disability, for which bathroom grab bars would be extremely useful, especially in the bathroom.

After looking at many videos, it seems that all RVs, no matter their type, have horribly flimsy wall construction.

Some online research has led me to products like Moen's "Secure Mount", which claim to be able to securely mount things like handicap grab bars to walls where no studs are present, and to be able to handle up to a 300 pound load.

Is this hogwash?

Or might it actually be possible for me to have securely mounted grab bars in a travel trailer?

How do other people that need grab bars deal with RVs?

Thanks!

learntorv 03-19-2019 01:37 PM

If it were me, I'd go through the wall to a backer board. Seal it properly and monitor it so that water isn't an issue.

Bear415 03-19-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by learntorv (Post 4685275)
If it were me, I'd go through the wall to a backer board. Seal it properly and monitor it so that water isn't an issue.

I don't understand by what you mean as far as "backer board".

Mr_D 03-19-2019 03:14 PM

A thicker, larger board to spread the load rather than just on the thin wall.
If you order things like a seat in the shower they install a backer behind the wall to secure the seat.

Bear415 03-19-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 4685387)
A thicker, larger board to spread the load rather than just on the thin wall.
If you order things like a seat in the shower they install a backer behind the wall to secure the seat.

So, if I understand this correctly - and I doubt I do - the suggestion is to essentially go all the way through the interior RV wall to the exterior, where a supplemental piece of wood or metal would be attached to try to give the grab bar additional support?

Mark_T 03-19-2019 03:33 PM

I put in several for my wife, MR D is correct you must have support behind the wall. I have used a stud find to find the 1x2 that was used to frame the wall. I have found the suction cup type will let you down when you need it the most.

Loydmeeks 03-19-2019 03:45 PM

When we had our Idle Time built they built a 2x6 into the back wall and installed 2 of these

https://www.harneyhardware.com/produ...oaApGuEALw_wcB

rkresge 03-19-2019 07:18 PM

My wife is slightly handicapped. Our first TT had a tub and shower combo, so the first thing I did was get in there with a stud finder and located the studs in the wall. Then I went to Home Depot and bought a fairly short (18" or thereabouts) handrail. Since it didn't match the stud spacing, I just mounted it to the studs at a slant and caulked under the mounting flanges. Whole job took 15 minutes at the most, and my wife had a handrail for safety. Yay!

Have not felt a need to do that in our newer TT, but if it's needed, it's a no-brainer. You just get creative about how to mount securely to the internal framing. The backer board mentioned above is another solid approach. Good luck!

Roger

Bob_C 03-19-2019 08:18 PM

Where in bathroom would you want a grab handle?

Bear415 03-19-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob caldwell (Post 4685857)
Where in bathroom would you want a grab handle?

If it were possible, I'd want one in the tub/shower, and a higher one along the wall to the side of the toilet.

Bob_C 03-19-2019 09:40 PM

The wall is easy.....the shower one would be a little harder.....I'll take pic of a handrail we use, be back in a minute...

Bob_C 03-19-2019 09:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is our inside steps....Attachment 238678Attachment 238679Attachment 238680Attachment 238681

Bob_C 03-19-2019 09:47 PM

The shower, due to not nowing what's behind it, to be safe, I'd contact the factory and ask if there's any blocking one from adding a handle

Bear415 03-19-2019 09:50 PM

Thanks.

Bob, those handrails look like they might not support the full weight of a ~200 pound person.

Also, how exactly is their support provided? Are they literally drilled all the way through the wall, with a support - Like, maybe, a piece of metal, or thick wood - on the other side, even if that other side is the outside of the RV?

I ask because I am still not understanding how they are braced, and without support, they're dangerous to me.