iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   To run or not to run (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/to-run-or-not-to-run-437280.html)

foundwaldo 04-01-2019 07:09 PM

To run or not to run
 
I am wondering when I am driving down the road do I run the generator? I am assuming I have to either run the generator or turn on the lp for for the refrigerator to work. Or at least that is what I thought they told me at the dealership. I have noticed thought a lot of the lights and stuff in the coach seem to work off the coach batteries. I know they told if I want heat in the back I have to run the genie.

Outbound 04-01-2019 07:57 PM

Your refrigerator should have a "Auto" set, it will automatically switch to propane or electric, which ever one is available, propane must be on.
When plugged in to shore power electric will be first choice. :thumb:

Outbound 04-01-2019 07:57 PM

Forgot to say, Welcome to forum.
You should list type and year of your motorhome, will help with reply's.

FIRE UP 04-01-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foundwaldo (Post 4706541)
I am wondering when I am driving down the road do I run the generator? I am assuming I have to either run the generator or turn on the lp for for the refrigerator to work. Or at least that is what I thought they told me at the dealership. I have noticed thought a lot of the lights and stuff in the coach seem to work off the coach batteries. I know they told if I want heat in the back I have to run the genie.

foundwaldo,
Running the genny when cruising down the road is no biggie. About 99.999999% of RVers have been using LP to run their fridge for ever since Christ was a pup. I won't get into all that garb about shutting it down when you pull in for gas/diesel and all that. That's up to each individual. When you get down to it, LP is a more efficient way of working the fridge. 120VAC works and gives us all options. But, for cooling down, LP is superior.

Now, yes, about 99.9999% of the RV lighting INSIDE the coach, water pump, furnace, and certain other appliances, all operate off of 12VDC which, is supplied by the coach/house batteries. Now, up front, your heat should, I SAY SHOULD come from your dash and, while it may be enough to keep your hands and fingers and face warm, getting heat beyond the cab is tough duty for a dash system.

So, yes, you may have to run the genny if you have some form of 120VAC heat in the back. Or, if you have a 12VDC furnace, you really don't need to run the genny 'cause, that kind of heat is ran off of the coach battery(ies) and, the alternator is keeping them all topped off even with a load on them like the furnace.
Scott

twinboat 04-01-2019 08:25 PM

Most run the generator to powner the rooftop ACs in hot weather.

The dash AC can only do so much.

twinboat 04-01-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outbound (Post 4706621)
Forgot to say, Welcome to forum.
You should list type and year of your motorhome, will help with reply's.

A few clicks and I found its a 33 ft Four Winds.

momdoc 04-01-2019 09:50 PM

Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Yes run the Genny when driving with AC running. Many folks do and it is a good way to exercise it. However it has to be under load to do any meaningful exercise. Our frig runs off the batteries when driving.

Enjoy the adventure!

oscarvan 04-01-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIRE UP (Post 4706624)
About 99.999999% of RVers have been using LP to run their fridge for ever>>>>>>>


>>>>>>>Or, if you have a 12VDC furnace, you really don't need to run the genny 'cause, that kind of heat is ran off of the coach battery(ies) and, the alternator is keeping them all topped off even with a load on them like the furnace.
Scott

MOST DP's come with residential fridges and inverters. No propane. Your premise is a few years out of date.

A 12VDC furnace WILL need propane. The electrical load is for the fan only. It's minimal. It may or may not run when driving. Mine won't.

To the OP... yes, you can run your generator while driving. Doesn't improve your mileage but it's the only way to run your AC, or the heat pump which I assume your dealership was alluding to.

FIRE UP 04-02-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 4706793)
MOST DP's come with residential fridges and inverters. No propane. Your premise is a few years out of date.

A 12VDC furnace WILL need propane. The electrical load is for the fan only. It's minimal. It may or may not run when driving. Mine won't.

To the OP... yes, you can run your generator while driving. Doesn't improve your mileage but it's the only way to run your AC, or the heat pump which I assume your dealership was alluding to.

Not hardly,
If you're referring to very, very late RVs, yes, there are quite a few that the manufacturers have ventured over to residential fridges. But NOT ALL!!! I'm referring to the thousands and thousands of pre- late model diesels, (as in say maybe 2014 maybe and newer) that have dual power RV fridges. I know many, many diesel drivers and coaches that were factory outfitted NOT WITH RESIDENTIAL FRIDGES.

And, a 12VDC furnace is TWELVE VOLTS. That means the fan in it is a DC powered fan too. If yours doesn't run, with or without you running the coach, somethings not right. The whole 12VDC furnace thing is powered off the coach batteries and not any form of 120VAC.

Now, HEAT PUMPS, that's a different animal. We have both the 12VDC furnace system and 120VAC basement A/C and Heat pump.
Scott

GNRVNG 04-02-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIRE UP (Post 4707580)
Not hardly,
If you're referring to very, very late RVs, yes, there are quite a few that the manufacturers have ventured over to residential fridges. But NOT ALL!!! I'm referring to the thousands and thousands of pre- late model diesels, (as in say maybe 2014 maybe and newer) that have dual power RV fridges. I know many, many diesel drivers and coaches that were factory outfitted NOT WITH RESIDENTIAL FRIDGES.

And, a 12VDC furnace is TWELVE VOLTS. That means the fan in it is a DC powered fan too. If yours doesn't run, with or without you running the coach, somethings not right. The whole 12VDC furnace thing is powered off the coach batteries and not any form of 120VAC.

Now, HEAT PUMPS, that's a different animal. We have both the 12VDC furnace system and 120VAC basement A/C and Heat pump.
Scott

I too run generator for A/C's far better than running dash A/C and improves gas mileage. Not to mention refrig running too, all electric coach.

hohenwald48 04-02-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIRE UP (Post 4707580)
Not hardly,
If you're referring to very, very late RVs, yes, there are quite a few that the manufacturers have ventured over to residential fridges. But NOT ALL!!! I'm referring to the thousands and thousands of pre- late model diesels, (as in say maybe 2014 maybe and newer) that have dual power RV fridges. I know many, many diesel drivers and coaches that were factory outfitted NOT WITH RESIDENTIAL FRIDGES.

And, a 12VDC furnace is TWELVE VOLTS. That means the fan in it is a DC powered fan too. If yours doesn't run, with or without you running the coach, somethings not right. The whole 12VDC furnace thing is powered off the coach batteries and not any form of 120VAC.

Now, HEAT PUMPS, that's a different animal. We have both the 12VDC furnace system and 120VAC basement A/C and Heat pump.
Scott

I gotta' agree with FIREUP on this. I would be surprised if the OP's gas powered 2005 Thor Hurricane has a residential refer.

brokenrule 04-05-2019 08:24 PM

I run the generator to exercise it. Running the A/C and fridge on 120V to put a load on it. Good for the generator.

RunningHard 04-05-2019 09:29 PM

Where I live triple digits or very close are the norm in the Summer. I turn on the generator when I start the coach. It is not abnormal to run it 15 hrs a day. :cool:

Blaster 04-05-2019 09:31 PM

I f running in hot weather, I run the generator with the roof air and frig. And leave the dash air off. If cooler weather, I use the propane for the frig, anduse dash air if needed, without the generator running.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.