iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Leaving in 10 days for my first big trip. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/leaving-in-10-days-for-my-first-big-trip-437318.html)

DHener84 04-02-2019 05:49 AM

Leaving in 10 days for my first big trip.
 
So I am.dro. northwest NJ. Last year I upgraded my pop-up to a hybrid TT. Only got one weekend in before it was time to winterize. In 10 days the wife and I are leaving to go to Southeast KY. Going to Dale Hollow Lake State Resort. It quickly turned into a big family gathering. It is just a few miles west of the southern portion of Daniel Boone Forest. We are definitely taking a day to go to the mammoth caves (we were going to stay closer until my family got involved in the planning) any other recommendations. We are only going for a week, and are mostly planning on beer and campfire, but I love to see and experience new things

Winemaker2 04-02-2019 07:10 AM

Check Corvette factory tour and museum. I dont think it's too far. Or maybe on way there or back.
Lexington Ky is a great destination for another trip.

Superslif 04-02-2019 07:56 PM

Being the off season, Mammoth Cave Tours should be mostly available. In the summer season 2 or 3 of the popular tours get sold out a day or two ahead. We usually camp right next to the caves at the national park campground for the week. And then a few more days at the near by Nolin Lake State park.



I would suggest since it is a long drive from Dale Hollow Lake State Resort to leave early, buy tickets for a morning tour, eat lunch and do another in the afternoon. I would suggest the Grand Ave tour (4 miles), Extended Historic Tour (2 mile), and if time permits the Violet City lantern Tour (3 miles) You will only be able to do two in a day. After the 4 mile Grand Ave tour you will be wooped...

Big Dude 04-03-2019 08:13 AM

While staying in the area, we ate lunch at the resort restaurant and my wife thought their Kentucky Hot Brown was the best ever.

JohnRR 04-03-2019 10:37 AM

Here’s wishing you the very best with your travels when you go.

DHener84 04-03-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dude (Post 4708676)
While staying in the area, we ate lunch at the resort restaurant and my wife thought their Kentucky Hot Brown was the best ever.

Great, good to hear, I will definitely try it.

DHener84 04-03-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superslif (Post 4708109)
Being the off season, Mammoth Cave Tours should be mostly available. In the summer season 2 or 3 of the popular tours get sold out a day or two ahead. We usually camp right next to the caves at the national park campground for the week. And then a few more days at the near by Nolin Lake State park.



I would suggest since it is a long drive from Dale Hollow Lake State Resort to leave early, buy tickets for a morning tour, eat lunch and do another in the afternoon. I would suggest the Grand Ave tour (4 miles), Extended Historic Tour (2 mile), and if time permits the Violet City lantern Tour (3 miles) You will only be able to do two in a day. After the 4 mile Grand Ave tour you will be wooped...

I didn't even think about it getting that busy, kinda figured it was a bit out of the way to regularly sell out. Me and most the rest of the group will probably have trouble hiking that far we are a combination of older, injured, and children. So we'll see what everyone feels up to. Which tour would you say is the best if we only do one?

Lault 04-03-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winemaker2 (Post 4707048)
Check Corvette factory tour and museum. I dont think it's too far. Or maybe on way there or back.
Lexington Ky is a great destination for another trip.

The corvette plant is closed to retool for the new mid engine vette. The museum is open and very cool.

NLOVNIT 04-03-2019 07:58 PM

You'll like Dale Hollow Lake SP. We also ate at the lodge - had a good meal. Service was slow, surprising because there was hardly anyone eating when we went late one evening. There's not a lot to do in the immediate vicinity but we did stop in at a small historic site/museum Cordell Hull Birthplace.

See MY ALBUM for some campground pics.

Lori-

2late 04-03-2019 08:13 PM

Another vote for the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY.
We were surprised last year by the number of people at Mammoth. Go to the website and read about the different tours, you’ll be able to find something that should work.

DHener84 04-03-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 4709601)
You'll like Dale Hollow Lake SP. We also ate at the lodge - had a good meal. Service was slow, surprising because there was hardly anyone eating when we went late one evening. There's not a lot to do in the immediate vicinity but we did stop in at a small historic site/museum Cordell Hull Birthplace.

See MY ALBUM for some campground pics.

Lori-

Thanks alot for the photos. I really didn't know what to expect. Being from NJ it's weird. Seems like alot of campgrounds don't have much in the way for trees

NLOVNIT 04-03-2019 10:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Depends on where you go. Lots of campgrounds & state parks have plenty of trees. Below are just a few we've been to with lots of trees & tree'd sites.

Lori-

DHener84 04-11-2019 09:07 PM

So leaving right after work tomorrow. Going from Northwest NJ to Haegerstown MD KOA. Doing a crash and dash for hopefully an early start to Burkesville KY. I will share pics tomorrow when I leave. If you see me on the road give me a honk and wave[emoji3]

DHener84 04-12-2019 04:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And away we go!Attachment 241725Attachment 241726Attachment 241727


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.