iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Garmin RV 780 GPS (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/garmin-rv-780-gps-440619.html)

Geo19Irv 04-23-2019 04:29 PM

Garmin RV 780 GPS

I just received a new Garmin RV 780 GPS took it out of the box, downloaded the user manual, and I can not figure out how to operate the darn thing. Trying to set a route but it keeps giving me a round trip !!!!!!!!
Goes anyone have instructions other than Garmin's ???? Are there you-tube vids that show how to set up a customized route, point to point ?
I guess I will figure this thing out but Garmin is not making it easy. :dance:

RWeigant 04-23-2019 04:52 PM

Not sure what the problem is. Go to settings and look around. Playing with for a while will fix everything. Harmon is the best. Give it time.

l1v3fr33ord1 04-23-2019 04:54 PM

Geo19Irv-

Are you trying to program the route on the GPS directly, or are you trying to use BaseCamp?

lass 04-23-2019 06:06 PM

Mark. I read you posts on the Basecamp and while they were helpful, I still gave up on it. For me, using the units Apps, Trip Plannner is much easier for planning a single leg of the trip. You need to have a destination in the saved places but again, for me it’s just easier.

mtmsfx 04-23-2019 06:18 PM

I have the RV 760LM and love it. Just click on Where To screen, find your destination, and hit Go. It will give you a one-way route.
Regarding BaseCamp, I use it extensively and love it. Much easier to plan a trip that way. Takes a bit of effort to learn it, but I think it's worth it.

tammy s 04-23-2019 07:32 PM

What does an RV Garmin do that a regular one does not do?

TonyDi 04-23-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammy s (Post 4742184)

The RV model takes into consideration your coaches length with height weight whether or not you’re carrying things like propane etc. it will then guide you based on roads that are appropriate for your RV. It prevents you from going down the road with the bridge that might not support your weight or a tunnel that’s too low. Some of the RV GPS units will also have RV specific things such as KOA points of interest and campground locators.

mtmsfx 04-23-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

You program in the RV height/weight/length and it routes your away from low clearances, etc.

CARLnJANIS 04-23-2019 08:44 PM

I don't have an American Express but I do have a RV 760LM and won't leave home without it. I have had Garmin products for a long time. I still have my Garmin V.

Don't try to figure it out in one day. I use the routing capabilities of the unit as well as Basecamp. After all this time, I am finding things I was unaware of. Don't get frustrated, just experiment, give yourself some time and you will eventually figure it out.

ByeTheWay 04-23-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtmsfx (Post 4742063)
Regarding BaseCamp, I use it extensively and love it. Much easier to plan a trip that way. Takes a bit of effort to learn it, but I think it's worth it.

X2

BaseCamp is a superior product. No pain, No Gain. For step x step help:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/crea...mp-440290.html

Geo19Irv 04-24-2019 09:54 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByeTheWay (Post 4742301)
X2

BaseCamp is a superior product. No pain, No Gain. For step x step help:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/crea...mp-440290.html

Now those are instructions I can follow, and after I try to get it down I will update. :cool:

TriGlider 04-25-2019 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you using the Trip Planner App built into the 780. I've had my 780 about a week or so and find it to program much easier than the 760 that it's replacing.

Trip Planner info starts on pages 16 and 17 in the manual. From the main screen of the 780 select Apps then look for Trip Planner App. Just start at the top of the screen and fill in each applicable area in the menus. You can create as many Vias as you want such as planned fuel stops etc. by entering into into the Add Location Fields. After you create a Trip (Route) and save it, it allows you to open the saved Trip Map View and using the Route Shaping Tool on the screen you can change to custom road selections by just pointing to a road change and the unit will quickly recalculate the change and ask if you want to save it. If not just touch the trash can icon and it reverts back to the original trip.

There are route shaping videos on YouTube using the Garmin 770 diesel. The route shaping process is very similar to the 780.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayAxhQkdm8

TriGlider 04-25-2019 05:39 PM

Just downloaded new firmware for my 780. They are now on 6.0. That's two firmware updates in the first week of ownership. With a GPS or most electronics you have "State of the Art" for about 15 minutes. :cool:

WorldCat25 04-26-2019 07:27 AM

I let the GPS do the plotting using Waypoints I create. Several places and ways to get coordinates:

1. addresses
2. coordinates from Google Earth, Windows Maps. Make these up for key points on the basic route I want to take so it guides me through there. i.e. I have an intersection on I-74 in IL which takes me on the southern route through Ohio, IN IL avoiding Chicago and all the tolls.
3. coordinates from RVParky (at the bottom of every camping site)
4. coordinates from Campedium
5. coordinates others give me and all the others I have saved on previous Garmins since I started using one in 2000.

Funny story about how I got my first one. In 2000, there were 4 of us on a duck hunting trip in MD in 2 boats. We had to wind way up a salt water creek which had numerous little branches off it. We took one of the branches off the main creek. At the end of the day, we were packing up and the 2 guys in the other boat decided to leave before us. Fortunately I gave him a FRS radio. When we got to the boat ramp in the dark, of course, the other boat wasn't there. Finally reached them on the radio. Turns out they got lost, turned the wrong way on the main creek and ended up shearing their prop pin way up the creek. We had to go all the way up to tow them back. I think we got over the river about midnight. Scared me. Had hear about these new things called GPSs and decided it could have been me getting lost and bought one. Best thing I ever did.

I use 2 in the RV - a 770 and a 478. Each does some things better than the other and it's nice to have one to test routes on. Like maybe a side trip to see something. How much time and miles does it add?

FatChance 04-26-2019 07:49 AM

Learning Basecamp opens the full capability of these Garmin devices.

Airboss68 04-26-2019 08:37 AM

What are the differences between the 770 and 780?

mtmsfx 04-26-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatChance (Post 4745646)
Learning Basecamp opens the full capability of these Garmin devices.

Yep, I agree. I don't plan a route, in the device itself. I use Basecamp, and then just upload the destinations/waypoints into my Garmin 760. The device has real-time traffic - BaseCamp doesn't. Sometimes the routes don't always match up.

JohnBoyToo 04-26-2019 01:41 PM

Dang you people, I'm perfectly happy with the two RV760-s we've had for years and ignored the 770's, but NOW you're tempting me with a 780 ?!?!

Dang you !

KiteSquid 04-26-2019 02:21 PM

I can't find it anywhere on the web but does the 780 have lifetime maps like my 760 and 770 have?

Geo19Irv 04-26-2019 04:35 PM

New GPS

First thing to do: Download the 24 page e-manual and print it out. Read it and play with the buttons. Many features. Take Notes.
Base Camp (on website) is complicated and time consuming, however it is very precise. Trip Planner (in the GPS) is easy to use and I will learn them both.
QUESTION: Google maps shows the roads but not the GPS coordinates, Google Earth shows the Coordinates but not the roads. Can either one show both the roads and the coordinates ? :rolleyes:

TriGlider 04-26-2019 04:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
To get coordinates on Google Maps simply find something you are interested in, right key your mouse and select Whats Here? A popup window will appear and give you the name and coordinates. If you hover your mouse over the coordinates in the popup window and left key your mouse it will to to a window in Google Maps giving you the street address if it has one and any photos that might be associated with the location.

Alan

TriGlider 04-26-2019 05:09 PM

By the way the pdf of the 780 is 30 pages. Not sure about the one with 24.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/RV_780_OM_EN-US.pdf

TriGlider 04-26-2019 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are using your phone or maybe an iPad on Google Maps hold your finger on an area you want to check on and it will Drop a Pin on that location. The Dropped Pin window will then show you coordinates and try to resolve the address if it can. Also any associated photos of that location will appear.

Alan

BCam 04-26-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboss68 (Post 4745708)
What are the differences between the 770 and 780?

Good question, I've been thinking about buying the 770 but am now wondering about the 780. For some reason the Garmin site has the two units on different pages which apparently prevents you from using the compare function. I manually compared the specs pages and found three minor differences, which are highlighted below in bold italics. The 780 is currently selling for $399.99 and the 770 for $299.99. I don't see that the spec differences justify the $100 difference but there may be functional or user interface differences that aren't apparent in the specs:

General

Physical dimensions 6.8”W x 3.9”H x 0.7”D (17.3 x 9.9 x 1.9 cm)
Display size 6.0"W x 3.5"H (15.2 x 8.9 cm); 6.95" diag (17.7 cm)
Display resolution 1024 x 600 pixels
Display type multi-touch, glass, WSVGA color TFT with white backlight
Weight
780: 8.45 oz (239.6 g) 770: 8.57 oz (243 g)

Battery rechargeable lithium-ion
Battery life up to 1 hour

Maps & Memory

Preloaded street maps
Includes map updates
Data cards microSD™ card (not included)
3-D buildings and terrain (780 Only)

Camera Features

Backup camera compatible yes (BC™ 30)

Navigation Features

Garmin Real Directions™ landmark guidance
Millions of Foursquare® points of interest
TripAdvisor® ratings for points of interest
Route shaping through preferred cities/streets
Voice-activated navigation (operate device with spoken commands)
Includes traffic
Lane assist with junction view (displays junction signs)
Bluetooth® calling
Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads in the U.S. and Europe)
Driver alerts for sharp curves, school zones, red light and speed camera warnings and more

Advanced Features

Smart notifications via app
Wi-Fi® map and software updates
Access to live services via app
LiveTrack via app (770 Only)

RV Features

Specialized RV routing
RV Parks & Services directory
Road elevations
Speed limit changes
State border notices - RV
Sunrise/sunset times - RV
Mile marker info - RV

Rvlegaleagle 04-26-2019 07:56 PM

"To get coordinates on Google Maps simply find something you are interested in, right key your mouse and select Whats Here? A popup window will appear and give you the name and coordinates. If you hover your mouse over the coordinates in the popup window and left key your mouse it will to to a window in Google Maps giving you the street address if it has one and any photos that might be associated with the location.:

Thanks for that:)

TriGlider 04-26-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiteSquid (Post 4746142)
I can't find it anywhere on the web but does the 780 have lifetime maps like my 760 and 770 have?

Yes it does have lifetime map updates. I used the built in WiFi update process on mine a couple of times already. It’s had two firmware updates and one map update since I received it last week. In that menu there is a field for firmware and a one for maps. You just place a check mark on what you want to download. I didn’t time it but I think the WiFi update process is faster than my 760 connected to my MacBook.

ajsfla 04-26-2019 08:44 PM

Following

tmandoug1 06-03-2019 03:38 PM

Soooooo 770 or go for the 780 is my question?

chunker 06-04-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtmsfx (Post 4742267)
You program in the RV height/weight/length and it routes your away from low clearances, etc.

One example is planning a route with the RV size/weight you put in. Returning from the west recently I wanted to take a specific route on state routes in south AL. Regardless how I did it the route wouldn't take. So I put my destination in and headed home and figured as we traveled the GPS would eventually "get with the program" and recognize what was obviously the shortest route. Well as I was in Greenville AL on SR 10 I encounter a low underpass, 10 feet. I saw the GPS flashing and the underpass signs before I hit it and had to do that U-turn the Garmin 670 had been telling me all morning. I had the volume turned down but will turn it back on nice and loud.

When you put in your RV parameters, height, weight, etc. the GPS will plan routes using KNOWN road conditions. It's still up to the operator/driver to look outside and actually pay attentions to actual conditions. When I was trying to plan the route and the Garmin wouldn't accept my route I didn't notice if it was telling me WHY. Being stubborn I did it "MY WAY' and as a result got an unplanned U-tun and extra mileage that day.

BCam 06-04-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmandoug1 (Post 4803551)
Soooooo 770 or go for the 780 is my question?

My question, exactly. I'd like to hear from someone who's used both.

Persistent 06-04-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCam (Post 4804356)
My question, exactly. I'd like to hear from someone who's used both.

I just looked at the Garmin website. 760RV and 770RV are no longer listed as for sale. 780RV is the only one for sale.

The difference maybe the 780 costs less to build.

The lower price on the 770 may be because it is now a discontinued product.

richard5933 06-04-2019 08:02 AM

Anyone know if the reverse camera functionality in the 780 is backwards compatible? We have a camera which connects to the 760 we use now. I'm considering an upgrade, but not if I have to install a new camera.

Since our bus has a metal skin, we ran an extension from the camera forward inside the coach and placed the wireless transceiver a few feet from the Garmin. Wouldn't care to do all that again.

jonmarks 06-05-2019 07:59 AM

Has anyone figured out the difference between the 770 and the 780? About to buy one. $100 more for the 780. And... you guys are importing .gox files from BaseCamp? Wasn’t sure if that would work.

mtmsfx 06-05-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmarks (Post 4805864)
Has anyone figured out the difference between the 770 and the 780? About to buy one. $100 more for the 780. And... you guys are importing .gox files from BaseCamp? Wasn’t sure if that would work.

I used Basecamp extensively to plan a route, but I only import destinations, not routes, into my 760RV. I let the Garmin decide that on the day of travel since it will take traffic into consideration. I also use Google maps to alert me to road construction, as well as view fueling stops in advance so I don't get into a situation where I have to back up, since I can't back up when I am towing 4 down.

georgelesley 06-06-2019 05:06 AM

We bought the 660 a few years ago after several other Garmin GPS’s. We have given up figuring the thing out and have gone back to the truckers atlas and our phones. To us, they have just gotten too difficult to easily use and we have given up on them.

RKins 06-06-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo19Irv (Post 4746309)
QUESTION: Google maps shows the roads but not the GPS coordinates, Google Earth shows the Coordinates but not the roads. Can either one show both the roads and the coordinates ? :rolleyes:

You have to turn on the roads option in the bottom left panel - there is a ton of things to configure there.

Persistent 06-07-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtmsfx (Post 4806570)
I used Basecamp extensively to plan a route, but I only import destinations, not routes, into my 760RV. I let the Garmin decide that on the day of travel since it will take traffic into consideration. I also use Google maps to alert me to road construction, as well as view fueling stops in advance so I don't get into a situation where I have to back up, since I can't back up when I am towing 4 down.

My 770RV will alert me to construction and traffic. It gets its information from my iPhone through Bluetooth.

I use Garmin BaseCamp with both a NUVI and a 770 RV. I can't claim to be an expert, but over time I have discovered ways to use them all together.

I have found three different ways to plan "routes" in BaseCamp. They are Tracks, Routes, and Trips. Routes and Trips can be transferred to Garmin GPS devices. I don't know much about Tracks. It appears Tracks are intended to plan off road hiking, biking, etc.

I have used Routes in all three systems. Routes appear to be the default and traditional method of planning road trips. They are flexible and intended to work well for one day trips. I have used them for multiple day trips, but some statistics are less useful and the NUVI especially slows down route planning the longer the route gets. BaseCamp allows you to use a tree type file system to organize and save many routes. For instance, it can keep waypoints and routes to Nova Scotia separated from routes to Texas.

I have used Trips to plan three week vacations. Trips attempts to divide the trip into one day Routes. For example,
Madison Wisconsin to a St Louis, MO hotel would be one day leg of the Trip.
St Louis hotel to Ark Hot Springs St Park, would be second day leg of the Trip.
Hot Springs to an Ok State Park would be third day leg of the trip.
BaseCamp will plot a separate route for each leg. When I wish to get turn by turn instructions, I chose the leg I want to execute.
Trip planning will also try to provide automatic round trip planning. I have not mastered this tool yet.
BaseCamp does not currently plan based on vehicle dimensions, weights, or vehicle speed limits. Time between legs can be planned or time at a waypoint can be planned, or is flexible. I might want to stay 4 days at Ark Hot Springs, or two hours at a Civil War memorial.

Loading a Trip to my 770RV transfers the way points and routes as collections of way points. The planned roads themselves do not transfer. The 770RV re-plans the turn by turn road instructions. The 770 will use the vehicle dimensions, weights, and vehicle speed limits if you choose.

When I am ready to take the next leg of my trip, I select the one day leg of the trip. The waypoints for that leg load, and the roads are re-planed for that day only.

The best parts of BaseCamp:
BaseCamp displays large regions in great detail, or less detail as desired. RV770 is much nor difficult to control.
BaseCamp provides organizing tools and allows copying and modifying previous plans.
BaseCamp makes determining alternate routes and revising previous plans much easier. I had three Wisconsin to Texas Trips planned last January. I chose one the day we departed based on the winter weather. One was eliminated due to flooding, one was choosen because of forecasted warm weather in north Texas.

Things BaseCamp can do better when Garmin decides to make changes:
BaseCamp does not show detailed maps unless the GPS is plugged into the computer running BaseCamp. Maps for BaseCamp can be downloaded but cannot be unlocked for use. I plug the NUVI into my computer when planning route modifications while underway. A very clumsy arrangement. The 770RV continues to provide turn by turn instructions.
BaseCamp does not show current location, and the NUVI doesn't either when plugged into your computer.
BaseCamp provides powerful tools, but makes it complicated to learn useful strategies.

mtmsfx 06-07-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persistent (Post 4808842)
My 770RV will alert me to construction and traffic. It gets its information from my iPhone through Bluetooth.

I use Garmin BaseCamp with both a NUVI and a 770 RV. I can't claim to be an expert, but over time I have discovered ways to use them all together.

I have found three different ways to plan "routes" in BaseCamp. They are Tracks, Routes, and Trips. Routes and Trips can be transferred to Garmin GPS devices. I don't know much about Tracks. It appears Tracks are intended to plan off road hiking, biking, etc.

I have used Routes in all three systems. Routes appear to be the default and traditional method of planning road trips. They are flexible and intended to work well for one day trips. I have used them for multiple day trips, but some statistics are less useful and the NUVI especially slows down route planning the longer the route gets. BaseCamp allows you to use a tree type file system to organize and save many routes. For instance, it can keep waypoints and routes to Nova Scotia separated from routes to Texas.

I have used Trips to plan three week vacations. Trips attempts to divide the trip into one day Routes. For example,
Madison Wisconsin to a St Louis, MO hotel would be one day leg of the Trip.
St Louis hotel to Ark Hot Springs St Park, would be second day leg of the Trip.
Hot Springs to an Ok State Park would be third day leg of the trip.
BaseCamp will plot a separate route for each leg. When I wish to get turn by turn instructions, I chose the leg I want to execute.
Trip planning will also try to provide automatic round trip planning. I have not mastered this tool yet.
BaseCamp does not currently plan based on vehicle dimensions, weights, or vehicle speed limits. Time between legs can be planned or time at a waypoint can be planned, or is flexible. I might want to stay 4 days at Ark Hot Springs, or two hours at a Civil War memorial.

Loading a Trip to my 770RV transfers the way points and routes as collections of way points. The planned roads themselves do not transfer. The 770RV re-plans the turn by turn road instructions. The 770 will use the vehicle dimensions, weights, and vehicle speed limits if you choose.

When I am ready to take the next leg of my trip, I select the one day leg of the trip. The waypoints for that leg load, and the roads are re-planed for that day only.

The best parts of BaseCamp:
BaseCamp displays large regions in great detail, or less detail as desired. RV770 is much nor difficult to control.
BaseCamp provides organizing tools and allows copying and modifying previous plans.
BaseCamp makes determining alternate routes and revising previous plans much easier. I had three Wisconsin to Texas Trips planned last January. I chose one the day we departed based on the winter weather. One was eliminated due to flooding, one was choosen because of forecasted warm weather in north Texas.

Things BaseCamp can do better when Garmin decides to make changes:
BaseCamp does not show detailed maps unless the GPS is plugged into the computer running BaseCamp. Maps for BaseCamp can be downloaded but cannot be unlocked for use. I plug the NUVI into my computer when planning route modifications while underway. A very clumsy arrangement. The 770RV continues to provide turn by turn instructions.
BaseCamp does not show current location, and the NUVI doesn't either when plugged into your computer.
BaseCamp provides powerful tools, but makes it complicated to learn useful strategies.

Hmmm. There are a few things here that I’m not sure about. First, Basecamp definitely does take into account your RV dimensions if you enter them. Basecamp can plan a route for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. Each route may be different.
Second, when I update the map on my 760rv, I download the same map on my computer. I don’t need to have the 760rv plugged into the computer. And it’s already unlocked.

DurangoNick 06-08-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo19Irv (Post 4741898)
I just received a new Garmin RV 780 GPS took it out of the box, downloaded the user manual, and I can not figure out how to operate the darn thing. Trying to set a route but it keeps giving me a round trip !!!!!!!!
Goes anyone have instructions other than Garmin's ???? Are there you-tube vids that show how to set up a customized route, point to point ?

We've had our 770 for some 4,000 miles. DW found out a new thing yesterday. So, don't fret. Just be patient with yourself (and the 780).

l1v3fr33ord1 06-08-2019 01:30 PM

On the map lock issue, I vaguely remember...

There's a trick to unlocking an installed map in BaseCamp on a Windows computer. It has to do with the lock file being installed on a different user's account, usually one with administrator privileges. Look for the "UnlockCodes.ucx" file and copy it to the same location for the user's account. Then restart BaseCamp.

I tried to find a link to the Web page where I discovered this trick, but failed. So, I could be way off. I do remember it was something simple, and I had to do it each time I downloaded a new map to the computer.

Having the map on the computer makes it easy and fast to plan trips. I don't download them to the GPSes until I've adjusted them to their final form.

Persistent 06-09-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

My Garmin 770RV does not do that. But, it just clicked in my slow mind. The "Trip" function in BaseCamp always tries to make a round trip plan. I have not tried to create a trip in my 770RV, but I guess it would also try to make a "Trip" into a round trip.
The default in my 770RV is to make a route, but it also has "Trip" listed under the "App" menu. To make a normal route using the 770 I just select "Where To".

Try to make a "Route" instead.

Persistent 06-09-2019 12:51 PM

Differences?

From the Garmin website using the compare screen for RV 770 and RV780 I found these differences. I don't or wouldn't use either one and so cannot comment if they are actually there on one or the other or both.
RV770 has LiveTrack via app
RV780 3D building and terrain

mtmsfx 06-09-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 (Post 4810634)
On the map lock issue, I vaguely remember...

There's a trick to unlocking an installed map in BaseCamp on a Windows computer. It has to do with the lock file being installed on a different user's account, usually one with administrator privileges. Look for the "UnlockCodes.ucx" file and copy it to the same location for the user's account. Then restart BaseCamp.

I tried to find a link to the Web page where I discovered this trick, but failed. So, I could be way off. I do remember it was something simple, and I had to do it each time I downloaded a new map to the computer.

Having the map on the computer makes it easy and fast to plan trips. I don't download them to the GPSes until I've adjusted them to their final form.

There's not really any "trick" necessary. If you use Garmin Express to update your maps, which I use since my 760 is not WiFi enabled, then you just click on the Map Options link, and you'll find the command to download the map to your Basecamp application. Easy peasy.

l1v3fr33ord1 06-09-2019 05:50 PM

Mark-

The "locked" maps problem occurs after downloading to a Windows computer using Garmin Express. If the map is "locked" it will not open on the computer. The method to which I referred unlocks the maps.

I suspect that if the computer account used for BaseCamp has Windows Administrator privileges, then the map-lock problem does not happen. It happens that on the computer I use for BaseCamp the user account does not have Windows Administrator privileges.

mtmsfx 06-09-2019 07:14 PM

Ah ok. I use my personal laptop for basecamp and updates so dont have that issue.

paulrubin3 06-11-2019 10:16 AM

For length?

What do you put in for the length? I have a 32SA so that's about 34' long. My Wranger is about 15' long. I figure about 2 feet for the extended tow bar. So do I put in 34' or 51'? 101" wide I get. Height is whatever it is. I forget but about 13'. But the length?

jonmarks 06-12-2019 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmarks (Post 4805864)

I ended up going with the 770. $100 is a $100 - and if the only difference is the 3D map, I don’t use that, anyway. I’ve had Garmins for years. Most recently I have a Zumo 665 for motorcycle touring. Familiar with the units, I was able to set mine up in just a few minutes. Used it yesterday for the first time and loved it. More updates to come as I use the unit some more.

WAFlowers 06-13-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmarks (Post 4815757)
I ended up going with the 770. $100 is a $100

Which is enough diesel to keep me going maybe 4 hours. To me that's not much. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin RV 780 and the big-bucks Kenwood DNX775RVS with a tablet "repeater" for my navigator/copilot (aka DW).

El Chapo 06-14-2019 05:51 AM

Agreed. No issues so far, but only a 6 day trip under its belt. Taking a two week trip at the end of the month and going to put it thru all the tests I can. I'll update then.

Persistent 06-14-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAFlowers (Post 4818369)
Which is enough diesel to keep me going maybe 4 hours. To me that's not much. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin RV 780 and the big-bucks Kenwood DNX775RVS with a tablet "repeater" for my navigator/copilot (aka DW).

Sounds interesting. What is a tablet repeater?

WAFlowers 06-15-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persistent (Post 4819148)
Sounds interesting. What is a tablet repeater?

As it was described to me it is a tablet computer which can see and control the Kenwood including the navigation. However I'm now lead to believe there is nothing special about it; any iPad, iPhone or Android device should be able to download some Kenwood app and gain the ability.

2Nailz 06-18-2019 11:47 AM

Another thing that I noticed that is different between the 780 and the 770 is the app. The 780 uses the Garmin Drive App and the 770 uses the Garmin Smartphone Link App.

Unknown if this would affect future support?

Greyeagle 06-22-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

It comes with a bed & bath[emoji38]

harvnlois 06-30-2019 12:54 PM

This looks like a good post to toss out this question. Seems to be some folks knowledgeable in Basecamp.
I am considering the RV 780 for our new Palazzo. Just updated my Basecamp to v4.8.4 and started playing with it in hopes of seeing how route planning with RV profile would work. I have selected the little RV icon as the activity, but I cannot find any place to enter the RV specs. Based on a couple of threads on other posts, I've tried their ideas, but still no luck.
Anyone here able to help.
Please!!
Thanks,

mtmsfx 06-30-2019 05:36 PM

4.8.4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvnlois (Post 4843137)
This looks like a good post to toss out this question. Seems to be some folks knowledgeable in Basecamp.
I am considering the RV 780 for our new Palazzo. Just updated my Basecamp to v4.8.4 and started playing with it in hopes of seeing how route planning with RV profile would work. I have selected the little RV icon as the activity, but I cannot find any place to enter the RV specs. Based on a couple of threads on other posts, I've tried their ideas, but still no luck.
Anyone here able to help.
Please!!
Thanks,

Hmmm, according to Garmin website, 4.7 is the latest version for the PC. Are you using a Mac? On the PC version, go to Edit:Options:Activity Profile. Select RV and then Routing Tab.

Greyeagle 07-01-2019 07:54 AM

Caution !!!
While the Garmin 760 may warn you of some height restrictions it may or may not
have all of them. Please be wise and watch your overhead crossings as it is not a pretty
picture after the fact.
Garmin is NOT responsible for your lack of attention.
I do use Garmin but only as a backup but try to always know my location, direction of travel and appx mile marker. I still use paper maps to confirm routes.
It is wise to run the route thru Garmin but just as a safety measure to double check yourself. IMHO everyone has become too dependant on AI and are letting our self
go to pot! pardon the punt.......

Be safe out the there,

keep the shiny side up,

aim for between the lines

& Roll-On........

Grizz1 07-01-2019 10:06 AM

Garmin has a newer, new RV GPS with built in dash cam RV 785.

harvnlois 07-01-2019 10:49 AM

Yes, we use a Mac.

Atlee 07-02-2019 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyeagle (Post 4844301)
Caution !!!
While the Garmin 760 may warn you of some height restrictions it may or may not
have all of them. Please be wise and watch your overhead crossings as it is not a pretty
picture after the fact.
Garmin is NOT responsible for your lack of attention.
I do use Garmin but only as a backup but try to always know my location, direction of travel and appx mile marker. I still use paper maps to confirm routes.
It is wise to run the route thru Garmin but just as a safety measure to double check yourself. IMHO everyone has become too dependant on AI and are letting our self
go to pot! pardon the punt.......

Be safe out the there,

keep the shiny side up,

aim for between the lines

& Roll-On........

To quote the late, great President Regan, "Trust, but verify". You are correct. Use the Garmin, but check it independently. That's what my navigator does. And we both use still use our eyes.

Millberry 07-03-2019 01:42 PM

I "thought" the Garmin 760LMT was the top dog for RVers. but everyone talks about the 770, 780 & now the 785. So which is BEST?

Persistent 07-04-2019 08:11 AM

These Garmin models are a progression of RV specific GPS's. 760 has a smaller screen, but probably the same software and maps as the 770. The 780 is a later release of the 770. Some early users of the 780 say it is substantially the same as the 770. One user of the 785 said the main improvement was including a built in dash camera. Earlier versions required a separate camera for forward viewing.

johnhicks 07-04-2019 11:07 AM

Re the Garmin 785, can the dashcam be aimed independently of the gps orientation?

ByeTheWay 06-19-2020 02:31 PM

I have found files in the wrong format I wished to load into BaseCamp. I have used the following many times without an issue. https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?convert_format=gpx

Persistent 06-20-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

I see you got lots of replies above. I read some of them and got confused. I think you were lured into one of the new Garmin features. Now it is blinding you to other options.

The Garmin 770 which I have and the 780 that replaces it work exactly the same as the old Garmin NUVI. The difference is the 770 has many other features and you have found one.

Trip planning is complected. It took me many hours to figure how it works. Basicly it plans a standard route for each day of a trip and saves each day separately for later execution. It is tricky to edit and hard to change if plans change. It is easier if you use Basecamp to do the planning and down load the results to the 780. It is still complected.

Basecamp makes it easier to see the big picture of a multiple day, multiple destination adventure. It has similar functions to the 780 but you can see maps on a bigger screen. It does add a little complexity and may take significant time to learn to use it.

I found it limited by not being usable on the road. You have to plug the 780 into the computer and that disables the 780. Basecamp will not show where you are so you can't use it to monitor your progress.

I recommend you start by ignoring the Trip Planning and other odd functions and just use the Destination functions the same as the old NUVI. Tap the "Where to" button for destination search.

Feel free to save frequently used destinations to make it easy to find them again. I have most of Wisconsin and Texas state parks saved along with camp grounds between the two states. You can plan a trip by saving locations. Then pick them from the saved locations button when you want to go there.

Learn other features one at a time when you have time.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!:thumb:

RKins 06-21-2020 04:38 PM

I just bought a reman'd 770 for cheap and my initial impression is it is a Garmin, which I've used since an iQue 3600.

I have a Nuvi right now but it routed me down a route that I made it through but was not fun. So I bought the 770.

How it routes I'll find out soon enough, with the RV settings.