iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Garmin RV 780 GPS (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/garmin-rv-780-gps-440619.html)

mtmsfx 06-09-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 (Post 4810634)
On the map lock issue, I vaguely remember...

There's a trick to unlocking an installed map in BaseCamp on a Windows computer. It has to do with the lock file being installed on a different user's account, usually one with administrator privileges. Look for the "UnlockCodes.ucx" file and copy it to the same location for the user's account. Then restart BaseCamp.

I tried to find a link to the Web page where I discovered this trick, but failed. So, I could be way off. I do remember it was something simple, and I had to do it each time I downloaded a new map to the computer.

Having the map on the computer makes it easy and fast to plan trips. I don't download them to the GPSes until I've adjusted them to their final form.

There's not really any "trick" necessary. If you use Garmin Express to update your maps, which I use since my 760 is not WiFi enabled, then you just click on the Map Options link, and you'll find the command to download the map to your Basecamp application. Easy peasy.

l1v3fr33ord1 06-09-2019 05:50 PM

Mark-

The "locked" maps problem occurs after downloading to a Windows computer using Garmin Express. If the map is "locked" it will not open on the computer. The method to which I referred unlocks the maps.

I suspect that if the computer account used for BaseCamp has Windows Administrator privileges, then the map-lock problem does not happen. It happens that on the computer I use for BaseCamp the user account does not have Windows Administrator privileges.

mtmsfx 06-09-2019 07:14 PM

Ah ok. I use my personal laptop for basecamp and updates so dont have that issue.

paulrubin3 06-11-2019 10:16 AM

For length?

What do you put in for the length? I have a 32SA so that's about 34' long. My Wranger is about 15' long. I figure about 2 feet for the extended tow bar. So do I put in 34' or 51'? 101" wide I get. Height is whatever it is. I forget but about 13'. But the length?

jonmarks 06-12-2019 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmarks (Post 4805864)
Has anyone figured out the difference between the 770 and the 780? About to buy one. $100 more for the 780. And... you guys are importing .gox files from BaseCamp? Wasnít sure if that would work.

I ended up going with the 770. $100 is a $100 - and if the only difference is the 3D map, I donít use that, anyway. Iíve had Garmins for years. Most recently I have a Zumo 665 for motorcycle touring. Familiar with the units, I was able to set mine up in just a few minutes. Used it yesterday for the first time and loved it. More updates to come as I use the unit some more.

WAFlowers 06-13-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmarks (Post 4815757)
I ended up going with the 770. $100 is a $100

Which is enough diesel to keep me going maybe 4 hours. To me that's not much. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin RV 780 and the big-bucks Kenwood DNX775RVS with a tablet "repeater" for my navigator/copilot (aka DW).

El Chapo 06-14-2019 05:51 AM

Agreed. No issues so far, but only a 6 day trip under its belt. Taking a two week trip at the end of the month and going to put it thru all the tests I can. I'll update then.

Persistent 06-14-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAFlowers (Post 4818369)
Which is enough diesel to keep me going maybe 4 hours. To me that's not much. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin RV 780 and the big-bucks Kenwood DNX775RVS with a tablet "repeater" for my navigator/copilot (aka DW).

Sounds interesting. What is a tablet repeater?

WAFlowers 06-15-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persistent (Post 4819148)
Sounds interesting. What is a tablet repeater?

As it was described to me it is a tablet computer which can see and control the Kenwood including the navigation. However I'm now lead to believe there is nothing special about it; any iPad, iPhone or Android device should be able to download some Kenwood app and gain the ability.

2Nailz 06-18-2019 11:47 AM

Another thing that I noticed that is different between the 780 and the 770 is the app. The 780 uses the Garmin Drive App and the 770 uses the Garmin Smartphone Link App.

Unknown if this would affect future support?

Greyeagle 06-22-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammy s (Post 4742184)
What does an RV Garmin do that a regular one does not do?

It comes with a bed & bath[emoji38]

harvnlois 06-30-2019 12:54 PM

This looks like a good post to toss out this question. Seems to be some folks knowledgeable in Basecamp.
I am considering the RV 780 for our new Palazzo. Just updated my Basecamp to v4.8.4 and started playing with it in hopes of seeing how route planning with RV profile would work. I have selected the little RV icon as the activity, but I cannot find any place to enter the RV specs. Based on a couple of threads on other posts, I've tried their ideas, but still no luck.
Anyone here able to help.
Please!!
Thanks,

mtmsfx 06-30-2019 05:36 PM

4.8.4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvnlois (Post 4843137)
This looks like a good post to toss out this question. Seems to be some folks knowledgeable in Basecamp.
I am considering the RV 780 for our new Palazzo. Just updated my Basecamp to v4.8.4 and started playing with it in hopes of seeing how route planning with RV profile would work. I have selected the little RV icon as the activity, but I cannot find any place to enter the RV specs. Based on a couple of threads on other posts, I've tried their ideas, but still no luck.
Anyone here able to help.
Please!!
Thanks,

Hmmm, according to Garmin website, 4.7 is the latest version for the PC. Are you using a Mac? On the PC version, go to Edit:Options:Activity Profile. Select RV and then Routing Tab.

Greyeagle 07-01-2019 07:54 AM

Caution !!!
While the Garmin 760 may warn you of some height restrictions it may or may not
have all of them. Please be wise and watch your overhead crossings as it is not a pretty
picture after the fact.
Garmin is NOT responsible for your lack of attention.
I do use Garmin but only as a backup but try to always know my location, direction of travel and appx mile marker. I still use paper maps to confirm routes.
It is wise to run the route thru Garmin but just as a safety measure to double check yourself. IMHO everyone has become too dependant on AI and are letting our self
go to pot! pardon the punt.......

Be safe out the there,

keep the shiny side up,

aim for between the lines

& Roll-On........