iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Garmin RV 780 GPS (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/garmin-rv-780-gps-440619.html)

Grizz1 07-01-2019 10:06 AM

Garmin has a newer, new RV GPS with built in dash cam RV 785.

harvnlois 07-01-2019 10:49 AM

Yes, we use a Mac.

Atlee 07-02-2019 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyeagle (Post 4844301)
Caution !!!
While the Garmin 760 may warn you of some height restrictions it may or may not
have all of them. Please be wise and watch your overhead crossings as it is not a pretty
picture after the fact.
Garmin is NOT responsible for your lack of attention.
I do use Garmin but only as a backup but try to always know my location, direction of travel and appx mile marker. I still use paper maps to confirm routes.
It is wise to run the route thru Garmin but just as a safety measure to double check yourself. IMHO everyone has become too dependant on AI and are letting our self
go to pot! pardon the punt.......

Be safe out the there,

keep the shiny side up,

aim for between the lines

& Roll-On........

To quote the late, great President Regan, "Trust, but verify". You are correct. Use the Garmin, but check it independently. That's what my navigator does. And we both use still use our eyes.

Millberry 07-03-2019 01:42 PM

I "thought" the Garmin 760LMT was the top dog for RVers. but everyone talks about the 770, 780 & now the 785. So which is BEST?

Persistent 07-04-2019 08:11 AM

These Garmin models are a progression of RV specific GPS's. 760 has a smaller screen, but probably the same software and maps as the 770. The 780 is a later release of the 770. Some early users of the 780 say it is substantially the same as the 770. One user of the 785 said the main improvement was including a built in dash camera. Earlier versions required a separate camera for forward viewing.

johnhicks 07-04-2019 11:07 AM

Re the Garmin 785, can the dashcam be aimed independently of the gps orientation?

ByeTheWay 06-19-2020 02:31 PM

I have found files in the wrong format I wished to load into BaseCamp. I have used the following many times without an issue. https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?convert_format=gpx

Persistent 06-20-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo19Irv (Post 4741898)
I just received a new Garmin RV 780 GPS took it out of the box, downloaded the user manual, and I can not figure out how to operate the darn thing. Trying to set a route but it keeps giving me a round trip !!!!!!!!
Goes anyone have instructions other than Garmin's ???? Are there you-tube vids that show how to set up a customized route, point to point ?
I guess I will figure this thing out but Garmin is not making it easy. :dance:

I see you got lots of replies above. I read some of them and got confused. I think you were lured into one of the new Garmin features. Now it is blinding you to other options.

The Garmin 770 which I have and the 780 that replaces it work exactly the same as the old Garmin NUVI. The difference is the 770 has many other features and you have found one.

Trip planning is complected. It took me many hours to figure how it works. Basicly it plans a standard route for each day of a trip and saves each day separately for later execution. It is tricky to edit and hard to change if plans change. It is easier if you use Basecamp to do the planning and down load the results to the 780. It is still complected.

Basecamp makes it easier to see the big picture of a multiple day, multiple destination adventure. It has similar functions to the 780 but you can see maps on a bigger screen. It does add a little complexity and may take significant time to learn to use it.

I found it limited by not being usable on the road. You have to plug the 780 into the computer and that disables the 780. Basecamp will not show where you are so you can't use it to monitor your progress.

I recommend you start by ignoring the Trip Planning and other odd functions and just use the Destination functions the same as the old NUVI. Tap the "Where to" button for destination search.

Feel free to save frequently used destinations to make it easy to find them again. I have most of Wisconsin and Texas state parks saved along with camp grounds between the two states. You can plan a trip by saving locations. Then pick them from the saved locations button when you want to go there.

Learn other features one at a time when you have time.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!:thumb:

RKins 06-21-2020 04:38 PM

I just bought a reman'd 770 for cheap and my initial impression is it is a Garmin, which I've used since an iQue 3600.

I have a Nuvi right now but it routed me down a route that I made it through but was not fun. So I bought the 770.

How it routes I'll find out soon enough, with the RV settings.