iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   AquaHot dark smoke (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/aquahot-dark-smoke-444154.html)

lp5151 05-18-2019 08:13 PM

AquaHot dark smoke

Had 2019 Anthem new since October 2018. AquaHot always smelt bad when running...no smoke just a fuel smell. Today, after having AquaHot checked out at dealer last week..started up AquaHot to see if smell was better. After 45 min of running..very dark smoke began to blow out thru exhaust. Shut it down immediately. Back to shop next week... is this a sign of serious problem or minor problem.

96 Wideglide 05-18-2019 08:51 PM

Hard to say whether it's serious or minor. Certainly odd to start smoking after running for 45 min :blink:!

Spk64 05-18-2019 08:54 PM

Sounds like you have an ignition problem and raw fuel is being left in the burner. When it does light it will burn off the excess fuel. I had similar results when my Webasto Controller started going out. Once it is running properly it takes a few cycles to burn off the excess fuel.

ditto 05-18-2019 08:59 PM

I had a similar issue. Smoke and fuel smell. Two highly regarded Aquahot techs and Entegra worked on it... many parts replaced, but no help. Each time it was taken apart, significant soot in the chamber, but they had difficulty duplicating the smoke. Finally, Ocala Hitch reassembled my unit, turned the heat up in the coach and after the second cycle...we cleared the shop!

The cause was the computer module,”brain box” that was bypassed by the techs using a manual switch board to “simulate “ calls for heat. As explained to me, thats why others could not duplicate the smoke conditions... by bypassing the defective module.

Gary.Jones 05-18-2019 09:54 PM

My opinion is that it really takes someone who KNOWs AquaHots to fix most aquahots. Any guy with an IQ above 70 can do annual service, but it takes someone who has been doing it a long time to really know how to service it. I have the same guy do mine all the time (LLoyd DeGeneras). I would find another shop and a guy who knows what he is doing. Good recommendations are on here. Lloyd is in Arkansas if he is not out at a rally somewhere doing coaches... that is all that he does. He is excellent.

It does sound like an ignition problem and way too much fuel being pushed into the combustion chamber. The reason escapes me. That is why I am willing to pay a pro $200 to do my service.

Gary

rogelling 05-18-2019 11:11 PM

You dont mention whether the burner goes into default mode when the smoking happens, that is, the green light on the burner switch goes out. If it does, it means ignition has failed and unburned fuel is going out exhaust. If the light does not go out it means you have partially burned fuel. If the former look for electrode failure, coil failure or fuel pump failure. If the latter, nozzle or coil failure. The controller would also need to be tested. I just replaced the fuel pump on mine for $700. Dont know if that is major or not. It was to me.

brobox 05-19-2019 06:16 AM

I also have to agree with the amount of experience the person working on it has. Maybe post your location, someone might know a really good tech in your area. The black smoke is caused by unburned fuel. Finding the cause on a brand new unit is going to take some experience. Has anyone contacted Aqua Hot CS? I found them to be very knowledgeable at troubleshooting.

Gary.Jones 05-19-2019 08:15 AM

Oh, and my AquaHot expert is Lloyd DeGerald, NOT Lloyd DeGeneris (a talk show host name). Sorry Lloyd!! You can google him on the web and his web page comes up. He is usually based in Arkansas, but does all the major FMCA and Good Sam rallies and stays busy all the time. Another real pro is located in or around Austin/San Antonio (John ??? (cant remember his last name but his site is RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Contact Form and John Carillo, a 17 year employee of AquaHot, is based in Colorado. All three of those guys know the system inside and out. The latter two have large on-line parts catalogs where you can buy anything that is needed to keep an AH system going, other than knowledge and experience. There are others. Get a good recommendation for your location.

Gary

Gasman 2 05-19-2019 02:51 PM

Ip5151,
Your Aqua Hot may be smoking do to lack of combustion air. The combustion air comes through the grill at the bottom of the unit. Check under the outside just below the Aqua Hot for paper, leaves or other debris that may be restricting air flow.
If that is clear and if you are so inclined remove the cover on the Aqua Hot, three bolts that takes a 7/16 ď wrench to remove. Look for anything that could restrict air flow. The air adjustment for the burner is under the unit. I have a picture that shows what it should look like.
Richard

Gasman 2 05-19-2019 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hereís the picture.
Attachment 246556

lp5151 05-19-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasman 2 (Post 4780306)
Ip5151,
Your Aqua Hot may be smoking do to lack of combustion air. The combustion air comes through the grill at the bottom of the unit. Check under the outside just below the Aqua Hot for paper, leaves or other debris that may be restricting air flow.
If that is clear and if you are so inclined remove the cover on the Aqua Hot, three bolts that takes a 7/16 ď wrench to remove. Look for anything that could restrict air flow. The air adjustment for the burner is under the unit. I have a picture that shows what it should look like.
Richard

i'll check this out this week....

Johnontheroad 05-20-2019 05:27 AM

If you ever go up in altitude and your Aquahot wonít start just loosen the screw show in the picture above and rotate the air inlet adjuster. The setting isnít that important, you could leave it wide open permanently without any problems. It is just set at the factory for optimum air flow but going up in altitude changes that ratio.

Iíve run my AH for years with the air adjuster wide open with no problems. Iíve had it running all the way up to over 10,000 feet altitude.

Spdracr39 05-20-2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary.Jones (Post 4779723)
Oh, and my AquaHot expert is Lloyd DeGerald, NOT Lloyd DeGeneris (a talk show host name). Sorry Lloyd!! You can google him on the web and his web page comes up.

Gary

Any contact info on Lloyd? His website is kaput.

brobox 05-20-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdracr39 (Post 4781361)
Any contact info on Lloyd? His website is kaput.

Not good found this on a google search for his website

Contact

This website is for sale! lloyddegerald.com is your first ...