iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Country Coach Owners Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Valve adjustment on Cat C-9 (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/valve-adjustment-on-cat-c-9-a-454810.html)

TriCitySam 07-29-2019 02:13 PM

Valve adjustment on Cat C-9

Looking to find what a reasonable price would be to adjust valve's in C-9 and check belts (rear radiator). I've been quoted $1,000. Seems high.

Ray,IN 07-29-2019 04:44 PM

The major portion of that quote is labor and liability for working on your engine from underneath the bed, and protecting everything inside your MH from grease and oil damage.

When I had my exhaust manifold replaced, I already had the entire bed and stand removed, all carpeting and tile covered with the sticky carpet protector, all nicknacks removed, etc.
The shop owner said that probably saved me 4 hrs of labor costs @ $135/hr. The total bill however was $3,282.
Adjusting the valves IMO is about a 4 hrs job, not counting bringing the engine up to normal operating temperature to double-check valve lash when hot.(make sure 1 or more are not too tight)
I don't know about CAT, but Cummins says valve adjustment is at 350,000 miles.

TR4 07-29-2019 07:58 PM

I agree with Ray,IN. If you do all the prep and have it ready for the mechanic, so he only needs to remove the cover, you can save half the cost. Most mechanics have no idea of the time it takes to get to the valve cover, so they guess, and itís usually high.

When I adjusted my valves on my ISL it took me about 8 hours. This was after the engine cover was removed. This included adjusting intake valves, exhaust valves and both engine brakes (this engine has a Compression Brake). Also, on this engine both engine brakes have to be removed to adjust the valves along with the engine brake housing and valve cover. This was my first ISL valve adjustment, so a mechanic should take less time. And if you donít have a compression brake it will take less.

Iíd get another estimate.

Bill

firedoc 07-29-2019 08:33 PM

Both engine brakes?

2 Stroker 07-29-2019 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When I had my valves adjusted, I had everything ready. Removed the mirrors and floor track and removed the floor then cleaned the top of the motor and while there lube the exhaust brake. Then took it into Peterson Cat, cost $400.
2 stroker Attachment 255157Attachment 255158

TR4 07-30-2019 08:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by firedoc (Post 4887479)
Both engine brakes?

Hereís a picture of the rear engine brake (controls 4,5,6), the front is not shown.

Attachment 255178

Hereís a picture with both engine brakes removed. In the picture, the engine break housing had already been reinstalled using RTV to seal it to the head. The housing is basically a spacer used to house the engine breaks. This housing is known to leak from the factory and was the main reason for my repair.

Attachment 255180

Bill