iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Middle aged lady looking for advice (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/middle-aged-lady-looking-for-advice-454944.html)

shooo63 07-30-2019 10:23 AM

Middle aged lady looking for advice

Hi,

So my kids are going to take my grandkids away to Washington on a year long search for property. They are going to spend a couple months at a time in different locales to find the perfect area within an hour of Vancouver.

They've asked me to join them on this adventure but I need my own trailer and vehicle.:cool:.

I want to stay under 6000 pounds, 20 ft, and need the right vehicle to tow it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

AND GO.....

Finance 07-30-2019 11:06 AM

Why vehicle and trailer vs a B or small C?

As far as what fits your criteria, that’s a huge universe of products. Tell us some attributes you want to narrow the field. How many passengers does the vehicle have to carry? What do you like or not like in a floor plan? Will you be staying in full hookup parks?

And what’s the budget? It’s a big gap between a Mercedes towing an Airstream and a Chevy towing a Forest River.

bneukam 07-30-2019 11:19 AM

I like Lance 1475, 1575, and 1685. Expensive, but hold their resale really well.

Winnebago Minnie series would also be a great choice.

If your thinking of only owning it for a short timeframe definitely look at used.
If your not experienced with RVís find someone who is and inspect any new or used very carefully.

Mr_D 07-30-2019 11:31 AM

Which Vancouver? The one in WA state where I live or that "johnny come lately" one in BC?

Glen 3 07-30-2019 11:37 AM

I was going to ask the same question about Vancouver because most people forget that there are Two, Vancouver and the little one in Washington. [emoji6]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 4888304)
Which Vancouver? The one in WA state where I live or that "johnny come lately" one in BC?

shooo63 07-30-2019 11:39 AM

Budget is 30k ish for both, going with both since it's only a year. Would love a murphy bed model so it's a little roomier.

Only me in the truck or SUV. Used is the way I'm gonna go.

We will be in mostly full hook up since I'm not the boondocking kinda gal.

Glen 3 07-30-2019 11:44 AM

My suggestion is to look at either the Winnebago 1706FB (which we just bought) or if you really want a trouble free experience the T@B 400. Both of these are 19 ft hitch to bumper. The T@B has less storage space due to the shape but is otherwise high quality and well designed. It is expensive though. Both of these trailers can be towed by properly equipped SUVs. The Winnebago might tow slightly easier because it has tandom axles.

Sandy Swede 07-30-2019 11:47 AM

If you are sticking to a trailer 20' or less, I am not aware of any that would weigh over 6,000 lbs. In fact, according to the following article, you shouldn't be over 5,000 lbs fully loaded for a 20' TT.
https://campergrid.com/travel-trailer-average-weight/

As far as a tow vehicle, which do you prefer, pickup or SUV?

shooo63 07-30-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Swede (Post 4888332)
If you are sticking to a trailer 20' or less, I am not aware of any that would weigh over 6,000 lbs. In fact, according to the following article, you shouldn't be over 5,000 lbs fully loaded for a 20' TT.
https://campergrid.com/travel-trailer-average-weight/

As far as a tow vehicle, which do you prefer, pickup or SUV?

I prefer an suv but was wondering if a 6 cyl Ranger would work. Less expensive.

Also, thoughts on a Keystone 151?

rodekyll 07-30-2019 12:01 PM

Why not a tiny class A like a Trek or a Minnie-Winnie? They can be had for $15k +/- and will give you the "murphy bed" effect. Without the dedicated bedroom, those 25' look large.

Q: what is an hour away from Vancouver?
A: -- Portland south, Battle Ground, north. I've been in Vancouver three times in the last month. You need an hour to find the freeway from the on-ramp. It makes Seattle look like Tacoma.

shooo63 07-30-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodekyll (Post 4888352)
Why not a tiny class A like a Trek or a Minnie-Winnie? They can be had for $15k +/- and will give you the "murphy bed" effect. Without the dedicated bedroom, those 25' look large.

Q: what is an hour away from Vancouver?
A: -- Portland south, Battle Ground, north. I've been in Vancouver three times in the last month. You need an hour to find the freeway from the on-ramp. It makes Seattle look like Tacoma.

I definitely want to be able to unhook the vehicle. And the Trek has a wet bath....ewwww!
I'm going to living in it for a year while the kids look for property and move around every couple of months. But thanks.

Mr_D 07-30-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen 3 (Post 4888313)
I was going to ask the same question about Vancouver because most people forget that there are Two, Vancouver and the little one in Washington. [emoji6]

Even Microsoft can't tell the difference!

1bigmess 07-30-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen 3 (Post 4888313)

The one in the USA was first. :thumb:

If coming to the Portland Area/SW WA for an extended stay, make sure you've got a reservation first. Very hard to find space for long term stays around here.

shooo63 07-30-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 4888304)

Washington, my daughter is transferring out there.