iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Colorado/Canyon Towing Issue? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/colorado-canyon-towing-issue-457173.html)

Treetop Flyer 08-15-2019 04:10 PM

Colorado/Canyon Towing Issue?
 
Ive recently started towing a 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 duramax diesel. Ive followed the GMC owners manual for dingy towing but on our first trip towing, after disconnecting and driving the truck we got a Service 4WD message and found the vehicle was in 4WD with no way to shift out of it. Took it to a dealer who determined GMC had a software update to address the problem. Everything worked fine for several trips but today (5 weeks later) the same thing happened again. I have an appointment with a different dealer (based on our current location) tomorrow morning. Is anyone else with a Colorado/Canyon experiencing this?

vettenuts 08-15-2019 07:59 PM

There is a thread in this forum that is veerrryyy long, but has a lot of information. As I recall, several experienced this issue and there was a link to a GM bulletin to reset the 4wd system.

Treetop Flyer 08-16-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettenuts (Post 4912278)
There is a thread in this forum that is veerrryyy long, but has a lot of information. As I recall, several experienced this issue and there was a link to a GM bulletin to reset the 4wd system.


Thanks for the response. A GMC dealer did the software update and charged me $58 approximately 5 weeks ago, the first time I had the problem. The second time it happened was yesterday. Since we are now in a different area I took it to a different GMC dealer today. They reset the transfer case codes, did a relearn and charged me $112. I talked to the mechanic. Hes of the opinion GM needs to do another software update for the transfer case module as there is still a problem. Im now $170 into a problem that currently has no fix.

vito.a 08-16-2019 03:33 PM

I would call the GM national tech line and complain.
Customer Relations Center Details: 1-800-462-8782. Monday - Saturday: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EST) Sunday: Closed.
Maybe in the interim you can disconnect the battery?

vettenuts 08-16-2019 08:01 PM

Found it.

https://www.coloradofans.com/attachm...ng-pdf.174450/

Dutch Star Don 08-16-2019 10:21 PM

"Treetop Flyer".....I tow a 2015 Canyon gas pickup. I have a laminated card that I made with placing the truck into neutral for towing nd out of neutral for driving. On the reverse side, I keep the emergency procedure for getting it out of 4WD, the issue you've been having.

Here it is in a rough format that I printed in Word Perfect.

TRANSFER CASE STUCK IN NEUTRAL

If the transfer case is stuck in neutral after dinghy towing and cannot be shifted out of neutral accompanied with a service 4wd message in the DIC, the following sequence will restore transfer case shifting.

1. With the ignition in the RUN position and engine not running,
2. Open the hood and remove the 30 Amp TREC fuse in the under hood fuse block,
3. Reinstall the 30 amp fuse
4. Continue with "Shifting out of neutral" in the owners manual.

Vato 08-18-2019 03:23 PM

Treetop...

I also tow a canyon duramax..

In addition to Don's suggestion, I might suggest when powering up after towing, reconnect the battery first and then go about your other mechanical procedures (disconnecting the hitch, cables, etc) allowing a few minutes for all the electrical gremlins to power up. I switch the transfer case last.

Early on, Don and I found that sometimes if you try to switch the x case to soon it may not transfer correctly.

vettenuts 08-19-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vato (Post 4916108)

In addition to Don's suggestion, I might suggest when powering up after towing, reconnect the battery first and then go about your other mechanical procedures (disconnecting the hitch, cables, etc) allowing a few minutes for all the electrical gremlins to power up. I switch the transfer case last.



I do the same as you can hear different things under the dashboard rebooting for a few minutes after battery reconnect.

Superrv 08-25-2019 03:48 PM

Hey guys, just started towing my canyon. I agree its a bit complicated of a process. QUick question. Which key turn is the accessory. I noticed mine has three clicks
Turned all the way off.....100% off key is removable
1st click radio and electrical turns on
2nd click ac blower, glow plugs, etc come on
Pushing after that starts the vehicle

From what I just stated which click or do you use when flat towing.

vettenuts 08-26-2019 09:53 AM

One position (Acc) beyond where you can pull the key. Since the battery is disconnected, not sure it matters other than keeping the key from falling out.

Vato 08-26-2019 11:30 AM

Right Vette

The purpose is to unlock the steering wheel. turn til it unlocks. don't matter beyond that

Granite17 08-27-2019 06:47 PM

Agree! First click is all you need so you unlock the steering wheel.
Then hit the battery kill switch.

The procedure is rather cumbersome and each time I felt like I was missing something or forgetting something. Even though I following step by step instructions.

I ended up buying some of the reminders that fit around the steering wheel and labeling them.
I tag the wheel each time I complete the task .
-4 wheel drive in neutral
-shifter in neutral
-parking brake off
-battery disconnect
I guess Im OCD but it works for me.

vettenuts 08-28-2019 06:46 AM

I prefer to pull the key, wait until the interior lights are off, then disconnect the battery. If the key is in the ignition the computer begins its wake up sequence and I prefer the electrons are fully asleep.

Superrv 08-28-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granite17 (Post 4929898)
Agree! First click is all you need so you unlock the steering wheel.
Then hit the battery kill switch.

The procedure is rather cumbersome and each time I felt like I was missing something or forgetting something. Even though I following step by step instructions.

I ended up buying some of the reminders that fit around the steering wheel and labeling them.
I tag the wheel each time I complete the task .
-4 wheel drive in neutral
-shifter in neutral
-parking brake off
-battery disconnect
I guess Im OCD but it works for me.


You can’t be ocd enough with this process. I’ve learned easiest way to catch a problem is have your wife or whoever drive it for 100 feet while you walk alongside. You’ll catch any issue almost immediately


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.