iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   Bounder: '04 Bounder 38N Radiator Expansion Tank Issue. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/04-bounder-38n-radiator-expansion-tank-issue-458349.html)

patterbery 08-23-2019 09:27 PM

'04 Bounder 38N Radiator Expansion Tank Issue.

1 Attachment(s)
Okay Bounder brainacks, I have a pinhole leak in my expansion tank (see photo). This is in a Frieghtliner chassis & the tank has the Frieghtliner logo on it.
Who has changed this item? Who has the parts info? Who has repaired/resealed this tank? Please reply to this post if you can.
Attachment 257785

Tajfish 08-23-2019 09:40 PM

I have drained one using a hand pump I got at Harbor Freight for $5. Then used a soldering gun with flat tip and “welded” back and forth over the pin hole. I had another one in a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery that had been exposed to the sun and was dry cracking and seeping. I replaced that one using the little hand pump to empty it. I got the tank from the local Freightliner service center using my vin number. Worst part was leaning over the ward robe door slides (use a pillow). It was just hose clamps and a few screws. Good luck.

No Sweat 08-23-2019 11:04 PM

Call local Freightliner shop with your vin #. I got mine a few years ago there and it was about $75 which I thought was a fair price one. I think they are used on some box trucks. You will need to pull the floor in the closet up. Only way to get to the hoses.

SlaterDoc 08-24-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patterbery (Post 4924260)
Okay Bounder brainacks, I have a pinhole leak in my expansion tank (see photo). This is in a Frieghtliner chassis & the tank has the Frieghtliner logo on it.
Who has changed this item? Who has the parts info? Who has repaired/resealed this tank? Please reply to this post if you can.
Attachment 257785

You have ressurected my nightmare trip back north from FL a few years back in my 04 38n! Check the tank over carefully for any cracks. These things are a known problem with them breaking down with age! My cracked tank started weeping and then pouring. A lot of duct tape and constantly stopping to refill with water and I had to sidetrack to PA to a Freightliner dealer that had the replacement in stock. I made it just minutes before the parts desk closed, but too many minutes after their service bays closed. So, after paying $130 fir the tank and buying a few gallons of coolant, I spent the next two hours in their lot changing it out myself! The 4 attaching bolts were a pain to get at and it was important to remove and protect the sensor. I am no mechanic! But it was pretty simple even if I did curse constantly like a disatisfied drill instructor! Since these are pressurized I would skip the trying to repair and just replace. Good luck!

patterbery 08-24-2019 11:58 AM

Thanks to all that have responded so far. My DW has been after me to reorganize the closet anyway.

patterbery 08-25-2019 02:26 PM

Well, maybe I should buy a lotto ticket. Called a Frieghtliner truck shop in Missola MT on Sat.
The parts person was very helpful. He had the tank I need in stock. If all goes well, I'll stop by Monday (after the pump gets fixed) and pick it up.
Everything is crossed.