iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   HWH active air survey (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hwh-active-air-survey-459433.html)

zzotte 08-31-2019 04:23 PM

HWH active air survey

Ok, not actually a survey but...I have a 2017 DS, it rides very good but.. driving on winding roads and bad roads unless you drive very slow it can teeth rattling or nerve recking, so I’m considering installing HWH active air, I have the air leveling (jacks) system is HWH system already and works really well, so here is the “survey” so to speak
For all you folks that had the active air installed, are you happy with it? Does it do what you though would do? Pros and cons? Do you loose comfort while driving? It’s harsh compared to the before installation? Does it reduces the debounce when going over certain roads? My if hit a deep on the road at 60 if feels that the wheel is off the ground, of course it’s not just a weird feeling, yes I read a lot about the active air now that you have yours for while would be nice to know your thoughts thanks

Zzotte

redbaron73 08-31-2019 04:48 PM

I am very happy with it. I have had it installed twice now, on both of my dutch stars.

Boilervol 08-31-2019 05:19 PM

Following, I’ve been thinking about this upgrade also.

10 fan 08-31-2019 08:46 PM

What does it do better than before you installed it? Does it ride smoother on rough or wash board roads?

redbaron73 08-31-2019 09:37 PM

I have written a lot of details in other posts and my blogs. I will follow up with links.

In summary:

Smoother ride for occupants and contents
No leaning during lane changes
No leaning in strong winds
No porpoise
No movement when semis pass
Safe and controllable when doing high speed emergency lane changes
Ability to air level, which has approx 35% more range than hydraulic Jack's.

Ability to adjust ride height up to 4 inches in either direction on front, rear, or sides.

A really nice control pad that operates the air and hydraulic Jack's.

bbrewer841 08-31-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbaron73 (Post 4936186)
I have written a lot of details in other posts and my blogs. I will follow up with links.

In summary:

Smoother ride for occupants and contents
No leaning during lane changes
No leaning in strong winds
No porpoise
No movement when semis pass
Safe and controllable when doing high speed emergency lane changes
Ability to air level, which has approx 35% more range than hydraulic Jack's.

Ability to adjust ride height up to 4 inches in either direction on front, rear, or sides.

A really nice control pad that operates the air and hydraulic Jack's.

Everything Red Baron said and more. Love the ride in curves, love the air leveling and not having to use Jacks.

Golfer Guy 08-31-2019 10:34 PM

Previous owner added the active air to my coach so I don't know what is was without. With that said I can tell you I love the ride and how it handles in corners, lane changes, and the bumps.

It's nice to be able to level with the air rather than the jacks but not critical.

There is no downside to Active Air that I can see. Glad to have it.

vito.a 08-31-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 4935816)
driving on winding roads and bad roads unless you drive very slow it can teeth rattling or nerve recking,
Zzotte

You may first want to investigate what shocks are currently installed on your coach and what other Spartan chassis owners are reporting on switching to Koni shocks (especially the front).

Mr_D 08-31-2019 10:55 PM

My rig came with Koni all the way around. Got better when I put the EVO's on the front. Now, with the active air it rides even better. I already had air leveling only but now it seems to have a better range.
Still learning the ins and outs of driving it and the adjustments.

medpro 09-01-2019 10:22 AM

Agree with Red Baron, love the air leveling. Really reduces the sway. Would definitely do it again

Jerry and Nanci
2015 Dutch Star
2019 GMC Denali Canyon

lostinfla 09-01-2019 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had ours installed in early June and have put about 5k miles since. Pretty much the same opinion as the others here. A couple of other things though , The coach maintains much more accurate ride height and doesn't leak down like the original system did. Both your installed HWH hydraulic leveling and the new air system work off the same new control panel. The air leveling is really nice!

NealC 09-01-2019 04:06 PM

Air leveling alone is worth it. Anti leans is worth it. Much better airflow and control of airbags. You control the height if needed such as if you want to lower the front end and steps at a pit stop. Cool you can do this. Itís worth the cost.

kenk02 09-02-2019 07:21 AM

WE had Active Air installed in July.
I've had Air Leveling on my coaches for the past 20 years. 10 years with HWH Air Leveling in a Monaco Windsor and 10 years with Valid’s system in a Monaco Camelot. IMHO Valid's systems is superior to HWH's.

But I like having Air Leveling. Ride control is better, but I don't think ride comfort is any better.

I like that HWH changes the ride height system to use two sensors in the back and one in gate front. FL uses two in the front and one in the back. These coaches are not balanced left/right by wheel weight. It makes more sense to make Left/right adjustment using the rear since the rear is the heaviest.

BUT, to do this HWH installs a bar between the right and left front wheels to give them a single point for the front ride height. Our system FAILED when driving! The bar came off its mount at one end and when that happens you loose front ride height. Fortunately we were just exiting I-90 in Indiana at route 20 heading to Nappanee. Front drops down and the bar is dragging on the ground making a horrible noise (at this point we didn't know what was causing the noise). I pulled into a gas station and parked partially blocking access to the truck pumps. Trucks had a hard time getting by me, but there was no other place. I called Mitch at HWH, he had me run through a couple of steps using the computer pad and then said it was mechanical and said Mark would call. Crawling under the coach I saw the problem. While, waiting fro Mark I tried to see if I could wire up the one end as I could get the bolt(pin) to line up to reattach. I assumed at this point that the bar was bent. In talking to Mark it took me a while to understand what he was trying to tell me. Partly because of terminology and partly because I couldn’t get a good view of the problem. Remember the front end has dropped down so there is not much room to get under and on one side my legs are sticking out into a drive where trucks are trying to get by me. Finally I understand Mark and am able to "flip" up the connecting nylon blocks and get the parts to alignment and get the "pin" re-installed.

Then Mark arranges for us to go to an HWH dealer in Elkhart. They remove at the parts and find that the side that stayed attached has a bent "pin" (I say bolt). HWH will overnight new pins. The dealer re-installs the parts so we can drive to our CG in Shipshe and then the next day drive back to Elkhart. Real PITA.

Problem fixed, BUT I have NEVER heard another word from HWH to follow up and see how we were doing. POOR customer service.

We were lucky that we were near a dealer.
Very lucky, that we weren’t doing 65mph when it happened.
Lucky, that we could get to a safe place to park.

Good system, but.....

ken

PanJH 09-02-2019 07:33 AM

When installed on a DS, do they have to add an auxiliary air tank and/or compressor ? If so, where do they put them ?

kenk02 09-02-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanJH (Post 4937952)
When installed on a DS, do they have to add an auxiliary air tank and/or compressor ? If so, where do they put them ?

Yes,
My tank is in the front near the gen. The air compressor is installed in the front DS electrical compartment on my coach, but on my friends it is installed PS side of the generator. There is no standard installation.

ken

zzotte 09-02-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 4936251)
My rig came with Koni all the way around. Got better when I put the EVO's on the front. Now, with the active air it rides even better. I already had air leveling only but now it seems to have a better range.
Still learning the ins and outs of driving it and the adjustments.

I just got under my coach, I canít believe that those tiny little shocks are adequate for the 17k front axle no under it bounces to high havens, any way Mr. D this question is for you, from reading some of your previous posts I understand you have cats, how did you managed to have your Active air installed with your cats on board, I will be faced with the same issue, I have no place to keep her for a week. Thanks

Zzotte

DrPhil 09-02-2019 08:12 PM

Having spartan comp upgrade my OEM shocks made a BIG difference wrt bounce.

Can someone ballpark an installed price for HWH active air? Also installs are done where?

zzotte 09-02-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 4939112)

Can someone ballpark an installed price for HWH active air? Also installs are done where?

itís about 10K and itís done at the factory in Moscow, Iowa, Iím getting a quote tomorrow

Zzotte

kenk02 09-03-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 4939112)

Our was just under $10,600

kenk02 09-03-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 4939095)
I just got under my coach, I canít believe that those tiny little shocks are adequate for the 17k front axle no under it bounces to high havens, any way Mr. D this question is for you, from reading some of your previous posts I understand you have cats, how did you managed to have your Active air installed with your cats on board, I will be faced with the same issue, I have no place to keep her for a week. Thanks

Zzotte

Your cats will be no issue. Most of the work is underneath the coach, but when they come in they will always close the door if they know you have cats. If your cats like to try to get out, then just put them in the back and close the bedroom door (you'll need to put pillows under the door) if you are going to be away from the coach.

Living in the coach up on the rails (6 feet up) is different, particularly at night when you are alone in the building.

Boilervol 09-03-2019 07:17 AM

Slides? Does active air keep the coach level when parked or does the coach still take on the grade it’s parked on ( before dumping and leveling)? Just wondering if there is an advantage for deploying the slides?

DebbieMH 09-03-2019 07:38 AM

I had Active Air installed back in June 2018. Absolutely the best mod I have made (yes, the most expensive as well). I love to be able to really see that I'm at ride height, and believe it ... going around corners is much, much easier on the coach - stays level instead of leaning out. I rarely use my jacks now, the auto level is perfect and it stays there forever. Yes it is worth it.

Understand that the new Entegra Anthems and Cornerstones now have Valid Air ... which I understand is just as good as HWH Active Air - but I'm not in the market for a new coach.

FlaRider 09-03-2019 03:40 PM

Any idea what the current wait time to get an appointment.

zzotte 09-13-2019 02:49 PM

Ok appointment itís all set August 2020 a good time to visit the Midwest :)

Zzotte

jerry davis 09-13-2019 05:37 PM

Headed to HWH on October 14 to have Active Air installed. We will be living in the coach for the week with our mini labradoodle. Iíll post my thoughts after a week or so of travel. Moscow Iowa for a week, wow!

resullivan 09-13-2019 06:07 PM

Had the HWH active air installed on my 2014 MA not too long after delivery. From the start it did not function properly. After HWH tried numerous things for me to do to fix it, they had me return to Moscow at which time they discovered they had installed the wrong hardware in the rear( from an earlier version), all day to change out and remount correct hardware and reprogram. said everything was fine , drove back to NC and system still not functioning correctly. They tried me doing several fixes, non worked, said I would have to bring it back to Moscow. I said I had already done that with no results and they should send someone to me to fix it. Last I heard from them. I no longer own the coach. So for me it was not the wonderful driving experience that others have had, just sayng.

zzotte 09-13-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resullivan (Post 4955164)
Had the HWH active air installed on my 2014 MA not too long after delivery. From the start it did not function properly. After HWH tried numerous things for me to do to fix it, they had me return to Moscow at which time they discovered they had installed the wrong hardware in the rear( from an earlier version), all day to change out and remount correct hardware and reprogram. said everything was fine , drove back to NC and system still not functioning correctly. They tried me doing several fixes, non worked, said I would have to bring it back to Moscow. I said I had already done that with no results and they should send someone to me to fix it. Last I heard from them. I no longer own the coach. So for me it was not the wonderful driving experience that others have had, just sayng.

Wow! Thatís not good, they are supposed to have a very good reputation

Zzotte

zzotte 09-13-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry davis (Post 4955125)
Headed to HWH on October 14 to have Active Air installed. We will be living in the coach for the week with our mini labradoodle. I’ll post my thoughts after a week or so of travel. Moscow Iowa for a week, wow!

Hey Jerry, did you have any problems getting the info they requested?

Zzotte

NealC 09-14-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry davis (Post 4955125)
Headed to HWH on October 14 to have Active Air installed. We will be living in the coach for the week with our mini labradoodle. Iíll post my thoughts after a week or so of travel. Moscow Iowa for a week, wow!

Jerry, FYI with the dog. The stair system up to your door has holes in it and maybe prongs for anti-slip, my dog would not walk on them. I found several pieces of carpet in their garage and put them over the stairs so the dog would then walk on them fine. A little dangerous as they had overhang but you may need to do the same for your dog.

It was very relaxing in the garage, very quiet, not bad at all. I had good cellular in there. You'll empty your tanks (g/b) upon arrival only for weight, after that you can use the facilities in your coach as you wish. Make sure your fresh tank is 99% full (manual fill if needed to go beyond autofill) but we were able to rig up a fresh water feed from their spigot in the garage but it leaked a bit.

Enjoy, it's a great system.

Distracted 12-04-2019 03:10 PM

I had the Konis installed on the front of our coach in October when we were at the Spartan factory in Charlotte. It did help my 19 Cornerstone some, but not a great deal. I'm having the HWH Active Air installed on our coach in August 2020. I'm hoping for kinds of improvement reported here.

zzotte 12-05-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distracted (Post 5063085)
I had the Konis installed on the front of our coach in October when we were at the Spartan factory in Charlotte. It did help my 19 Cornerstone some, but not a great deal. I'm having the HWH Active Air installed on our coach in August 2020. I'm hoping for kinds of improvement reported here.

I just had Konis installed at NIRVC Las Vegas ( ordered from Spartan) Drove around for about five miles, I know it’s not much but I definitely noticed an improvement, the steering a little more responsive and the bumps a little tamer, back to California this week let’s see how it handles, if it can take the crappy California roads it will be all good :)

Zzotte

wagonmaster2 12-05-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 4954951)
Ok appointment itís all set August 2020 a good time to visit the Midwest :)

Zzotte

Did you pick that date or was that as soon as you could get the appointment?

jerry davis 12-05-2019 10:48 PM

Even though I enjoyed watching the install, the DW and I agree that if we had to do it again we would not spend the week living at HWH. We would drop the coach off, head to zchicago, and spend a week enjoying the city. 😁😁

Distracted 12-06-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 (Post 5064713)
Did you pick that date or was that as soon as you could get the appointment?

I picked that date to dovetail with my reservation at the Entegra school in mid September.

Distracted 12-06-2019 08:07 AM

That's something like what we're planning. I'm sure my DW would not be happy in Moscow for a week.

Mr_D 12-06-2019 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 4939095)

Zzotte

I lived in the rig up on the rack at HWH for the week, cats inside except for the one that likes to walk on a leash. When they need to work inside I moved all cats to the back and closed one of the sliding doors. Worked just fine.

Popsf15 08-03-2020 07:15 PM

Ride Height

Mr D
I have an appointment in November at HWH To install Active Air. They are requesting that I provide the manufacturer's ride height and I have no idea where to find this information. I have a 2007 Magna 42' Country Coach. Looked thru the manual and can't find this setting. Any idea who I should contact to find this info? I would have thought HWH would have this info.

Steve

tim494 08-04-2020 10:03 AM

I got it directly from Spartan, so you can try the chassis manufacturer. The rep on the phone knew exactly what I was asking for.

I don't think HWH wants the liability for being wrong, so you have to provide the number.

zzotte 08-15-2020 06:39 PM

Active air Installed :)

Ok initial thoughts, I like that it did not rock going out of they yard which horrible, drove up and down on I-80 the feel it’s more relaxed, more steady its kind of hard to explain, made an “evasive maneuver” not realizing was doing 75 mph Wow! I think all three of us needed a change of underwear Hahaha but it handled well thank goodness, I don’t like the fact that if I’m backing up I have to dump manually because my model, 2017 DS actually has two computers controlling the tag HWH just can deal with, also that the air leveling initially level it “ok” 30 min or so later it makes a correction HWH says it’s correct. It’s what it is, so we see how it goes, we had three engineers and one installer working with our coach all of then supper cool guys, they pretty much had all done in four days leaving Friday for final tweaks and testing. So far I’m glad I had it done

Zzotte

jerry davis 08-15-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 5398803)
Ok initial thoughts, I like that it did not rock going out of they yard which horrible, drove up and down on I-80 the feel itís more relaxed, more steady its kind of hard to explain, made an ďevasive maneuverĒ not realizing was doing 75 mph Wow! I think all three of us needed a change of underwear Hahaha but it handled well thank goodness, I donít like the fact that if Iím backing up I have to dump manually because my model, 2017 DS actually has two computers controlling the tag HWH just can deal with, also that the air leveling initially level it ďokĒ 30 min or so later it makes a correction HWH says itís correct. Itís what it is, so we see how it goes, we had three engineers and one installer working with our coach all of then supper cool guys, they pretty much had all done in four days leaving Friday for final tweaks and testing. So far Iím glad I had it done

Zzotte

I find the initial AA leveling levels the coach quite perfectly within less than a minute. Then from time to time the system will adjust as the airbags settle or lose air. All very normal. I absolutely love the air leveling....who needs jacks!? I wouldnít be without HWH AA.

zzotte 08-18-2020 08:03 AM

I will try again today, but I think my computer has a glitch, I had in hydraulic level mode all night, in the morning I was getting ready to leave the air bag raised the coach but way too much like 5 inches above the tires, the pressure also very high, so I reboot and reboot again it when back to normal no more issues, I will see today how it goes, if it happens again I will contact HWH

Zzotte

Turbojack 05-11-2021 06:35 AM

I have driven my coach around 20,000 miles with AA. All was good until our trip back home at Thanksgiving 2020. A friend that was following us called and said our coach was leaning big time. I checked the pressure screen and it was showing the left side tag and drive axle bags with 100% of air in them. I pulled off the road, dumped the air, reset, and let it come back up to travel height. Once there started driving down the road again. After about 5-20 miles the coach would start leaning with the bags at 100%. Pull over dump, reset and restart. This went on all the way home. Monday I called HWH and was told it would take 4 weeks to get a return phone call. The next week I was going to the Foretravel Factory for oil change so figured I would hve them look at it. System worked perfect on trip up there and of course could find any problem with system.

Week 5 I get a phone call from HWH, we go over the problem, they have no idea what could be causing the problem. We go over what to be looking for when the system acts up again. They give me a number and tell if it acts up again to call them and give them the number they will get right back to me.

System had been working fairly good until 2 weeks ago when it started doing the same thing and having to do the same thing to be able to get down the road. I have now gone over a week leaving message, with no call back. Last Thursday I call the Texas area sales rep and asked for his assistance in trying to get answers.

On the trip this last weekend the first 50 miles I had the same problem but the rest of 200 mile trip the system seemed to work semi OK where if it did go high it corrected it's self before I started pulling over. I will try again today calling HWH to see if I can get someone to talk to about what might be wrong and how to fix the system.

As of now I wish I had the standard mechanical ride height system that is on most air bags coaches that is a simple system.

zzotte 05-11-2021 10:07 AM

Iím sorry to hear about your issues I have the after market AA, for me usually a reset will do when something goes wrong. However Turbo jack what bothers me itís the fact the you have a 2014 Foretravel which is factory install and Foretravel itís able to work on it? Which it sounds like a module or computer issue obviously the bags are not 100% full which indicates to me that the display itís also faulty

Zzotte

Turbojack 05-11-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 5747217)
Iím sorry to hear about your issues I have the after market AA, for me usually a reset will do when something goes wrong. However Turbo jack what bothers me itís the fact the you have a 2014 Foretravel which is factory install and Foretravel itís able to work on it? Which it sounds like a module or computer issue obviously the bags are not 100% full which indicates to me that the display itís also faulty
Zzotte

I have an appointment at Foretravel for June 28th. I am afraid when I get there the system will be working correctly and they will say it is OK, then down the road it acts up again.

I am pretty sure the pressures are right on when looking at the pressure screen. When the pressure screen shows the right rear pressure at max the bag is stretched out all the way.

Going down the highway the status screen will show "high" or "low" a lot of the time with maybe 50% of the other time it will be showing "changing" Very seldom with all positions show "changing"

I can go to the manual page and either fill or dump out air from any bag I want to so I think that part is working perfect.

zzotte 05-11-2021 04:53 PM

Turbojack, if the monitor itís working then why it 100% when the coach itís leaning? Thatís the part that I donít get, something is telling that bags to deflate, itís too bad the HWH itís not on the ball. Can you get the tech from Foretravel come to you? Just a thought

Zzotte

Turbojack 05-11-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzotte (Post 5747753)
Turbojack, if the monitor itís working then why it 100% when the coach itís leaning? Thatís the part that I donít get, something is telling that bags to deflate, itís too bad the HWH itís not on the ball. Can you get the tech from Foretravel come to you? Just a thought

Zzotte

When the system is screwing up it is filling the right rear bags full of air 100% of the scale) or max air pressure the system is seeing. The left rear is at normal ride height making the coach lean to the left. What should be happening is the computer sees that the right drive is above normal ride height and should be letting air out of the bags to lower that side of the coach to normal ride height but for some reason that is not happening.

I have for over a week tried to talk to a HWH tech and all I get is I will give him the message. I want to talk to him so if I need to do some more trouble shooting to figure out what parts are bad I can get them ordered before getting to the factory to have them replace the parts. I am afraid the system will start working right again and the problem will crop up again later.

So far everyone I have talked to about the problem they have no idea what could be causing the problem or what the solution is.

zzotte 05-11-2021 06:57 PM

Wow! At this point it could be so many things, I hope you gets resolved, if not too much trouble when you finally get it fixed please post here for future reference thanks

Zzotte

2-Nickels 05-11-2021 07:58 PM

An IRV2.com commercial member is AZPete, he works for HWH and freely offers his advice and knowledge to other members.

You can contact Paul (AZPete) at pfmaddox@att.net or call him at 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

I saw this posted elsewhere on a HWH post, have reposted it here. I would call him about you troubles and concern!

Turbojack 05-12-2021 07:48 AM

2-Nickels

Thanks for that info. I will send him an email.

vito.a 05-12-2021 10:38 AM

It sounds like a faulty pressure sensor and/or height sensor on the left side. That's why the monitor reads 100% yet the coach leans.

Turbojack 05-17-2021 08:34 AM

I contacted Paul and he said he was not able to help me since he was not permitted to even attempt to diagnose a problem without consulting the factory tech first. So back waiting on Randy to give me a call. Starting week 3 now waiting on call back from Randy.

I have an appointment with Foretravel on 6/28 I have given them the problems that I am seeing. Hopefully they will be able to figure out what to do when I get there since I am afraid the system is going to be working correctly when I get there.