iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   454 TBI wonít start when engine hot (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/454-tbi-won-t-start-when-engine-hot-461313.html)

RickNC 09-14-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisguy0818 (Post 4955786)
Ok all. Excellent help here thanks ! In the end I wound up replacing the ENTIRE distributer and it resolved my issues. So even though I had replaced the cap rotor wires coil ignition module etc etc - what ended up being the culprit is the PIP sensor or points or what ever they are inside the actual distributer itself. By dropping a new complete distributer in I appear to have resolved the problem. It also seems to be running much better than it used to although I may have to fine tune the timing now. I will find out once I get it on the road and climb some hills and put it under load. Wish me luck - I am off to Florida (leaving upstate NY). Thanks for everyoneís help here and if anyone finds this thread later - replace your distributer. The whole thing.

Great to hear you fixed it and thanx for the follow up. I'll definitely make a note of your issue in case it ever happens to me. BTW how may miles on your rig?

Thisguy0818 09-15-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickNC (Post 4955817)
Great to hear you fixed it and thanx for the follow up. I'll definitely make a note of your issue in case it ever happens to me. BTW how may miles on your rig?

ALMOST fixed lol. I just drove strait through the night from NY to Florida just hit NC for a short rest. Itís backfiring - or technical term ď after firing ď very bad especially on deceleration and I have zero power. Some of those hills in PA damn near killed it I was down to like 35mph foot to the floor. So I am now wondering if the cat is also clogged. But Iím on my way anyway drinking gas like 3mpg lol. Is what it is.

I have 72k on it.

Soppy 09-15-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisguy0818 (Post 4956714)
ALMOST fixed lol. I just drove strait through the night from NY to Florida just hit NC for a short rest. Itís backfiring - or technical term ď after firing ď very bad especially on deceleration and I have zero power. Some of those hills in PA damn near killed it I was down to like 35mph foot to the floor. So I am now wondering if the cat is also clogged. But Iím on my way anyway drinking gas like 3mpg lol. Is what it is.

I have 72k on it.

Check your ignition timing. The tan or brown wire behind the distributor has to be disconnected to properly set the timing. A plugged cat or bad ECU temp sensor could also be the culprit.

LETMGROW 09-15-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soppy (Post 4956797)
Check your ignition timing. The tan or brown wire behind the distributor has to be disconnected to properly set the timing. A plugged cat or bad ECU temp sensor could also be the culprit.

Soppy is on the right track when he says the timing is not set correctly. You should have an emissions label with the tune up specs on it which will should point out where the wire connector is to disable the electronic controlled timing module so you can set the timing to specs using a timing light. This is absolutely necessary to set the timing correctly.
Note this will trip the check engine lamp on. When you are done setting the timing shut the engine off, reconnect the wire and disconnect the ground cable from the battery for a half minute or so to clear the system.
Lynn

tomgrigsby 09-15-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisguy0818 (Post 4955786)
Ok all. Excellent help here thanks ! In the end I wound up replacing the ENTIRE distributer and it resolved my issues. So even though I had replaced the cap rotor wires coil ignition module etc etc - what ended up being the culprit is the PIP sensor or points or what ever they are inside the actual distributer itself. By dropping a new complete distributer in I appear to have resolved the problem. It also seems to be running much better than it used to although I may have to fine tune the timing now. I will find out once I get it on the road and climb some hills and put it under load. Wish me luck - I am off to Florida (leaving upstate NY). Thanks for everyone’s help here and if anyone finds this thread later - replace your distributer. The whole thing.

That's what I had to do to fix my van. I believe the distributor shaft was worn enough that the trigger signal for the TBFI would fail and the motor would just shut off. Wholesale distributor replacement fixed it. I'd already replaced almost everything else, including the computer, with no change.

tomwalt 09-15-2019 08:08 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Have a safe trip and a nice warm winter.
3mpg is tough, but it's all level travels from now on.

LETMGROW 09-15-2019 10:16 AM

At the very least I would loosen the distributor hold down and rotate the distributor counter clockwise a small amount to advance the timing. If you go too far you may notice some spark knock when going up a hill or under hard acceleration. Simply loosen the distributor again and turn it back clockwise to retard the timing.
At three miles per gallon you aren't burning fuel efficiently and you will cause damage to the Cat if you don't address this soon.
You didn't mention any power loss before you changed the distributor so the Cat is probably alright at this time. It won't be for long though if you don't get this running better than it is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were getting some raw gas into the engine oil either running like this.
Lynn