iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Should air bags on the rear (same side) be the same ride height? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/should-air-bags-on-the-rear-same-side-be-the-same-ride-height-463746.html)

CountryB 10-02-2019 09:16 AM

Should air bags on the rear (same side) be the same ride height?

My coach has the four air bag setup for each axle (10 bags total as I have a Tag).

Checking and adjusting the rear ride height, I noticed the front air bags on the "drive axle" are not as tall as the rear air bags on the (same side) drive axle.

So I measure the air bag height on the Left Rear bag (can reach from outside between drive tire and tag axle tire) and it measures 10 inches. I checked the Left Front air bag on the same "drive axle" and it measures around 8-1/2 or 9 inches tall.

As far as I know the air bags are all the same part number. Maybe the loading on the front air bags is different (axle tilt or just due to construction of the chassis or air bag mounting plate location).

Has anyone else noticed this?

hypoxia 10-02-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryB (Post 4980497)
My coach has the four air bag setup for each axle (10 bags total as I have a Tag).

Checking and adjusting the rear ride height, I noticed the front air bags on the "drive axle" are not as tall as the rear air bags on the (same side) drive axle.

So I measure the air bag height on the Left Rear bag (can reach from outside between drive tire and tag axle tire) and it measures 10 inches. I checked the Left Front air bag on the same "drive axle" and it measures around 8-1/2 or 9 inches tall.

As far as I know the air bags are all the same part number. Maybe the loading on the front air bags is different (axle tilt or just due to construction of the chassis or air bag mounting plate location).

Has anyone else noticed this?

My S Series 10 air bag is supposed to be 9" but I notice a difference which varies by 1/2" or more at times. I checked it recently after changing all of the air bags and the tag was off then. I attribute it to the load at any given time and the ride height valves which are not super accurate. All of the bags are the same part number on mine.

Ivylog 10-02-2019 09:37 AM

In setting mine recently I found the same but not as big a difference. I made the average of the two measurements 9.5”.

CountryB 10-02-2019 10:25 AM

I do have the drive axle up on ramps (with Tag axle hanging), but I don't think that would make a difference.

On the front axle the left front air bag was at 11 inches, and the right front air bag was around 9 inches (the spec is 10" on all the bags), so I had to increase air to the "rear" (drive axle) air bags on the right side, which then shifted the weight on the front axle so now the front left bag 10" and the front right air bag 10".

I didn't see a noticeable difference in the rear lean either way after increasing air pressure to the rear right air bags - everything looks level now.

It's just the difference in height on between the rear air bags on the same side, that had my curiosity piqued.

RamiDav 10-02-2019 11:15 AM

I read instructions one time about how to set the ride height .
It called for a level hard surface ( concrete ? ) so I do believe you
need to have a suitable surface .

IIRCC it said to make adjustments , dump the air , allow the coach
to attain ride height again then remeasure .
Even with all that I doubt the adjustments are often repeatable .
As mentioned earlier the ride height valves are not very sensitive and
they also have a 5 second delay .
I'm on the side of getting close and rechecking after driving and if it is
still close to spec leave it .
I believe close and looks right is probably all the factory did .