iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   ABS light blinking, wanted to pass on info (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/abs-light-blinking-wanted-to-pass-on-info-469206.html)

brandss 11-15-2019 08:45 PM

ABS light blinking, wanted to pass on info

On our way south we had this issue. Being somewhat new wasnít sure how to deal with. After a call or two figured it out. Wanted to pass on this info because I couldnít find a lot with the search tools.

The ABS plug is attached to the four wheels and is a cylinder plug that goes horizontally into the brake assembly and you will see it by looking for a wire that is attached to the end of it. This plug pulls out, toward the inside or middle of the coach.

I discovered that the front plugs were caked with grease and dirt causing our issue. I pulled the plugs (cylinders), cleaned them, and the hole they go into. Totally solved out problem. Would have done the rears but told by Tiffin very hard to get to.

Hope this helps someone at some point

Ray,IN 11-15-2019 10:08 PM

My mechanic told me how to get the ABS light to go off, power wash the inside of each wheel from the opposite side. It worked for my coach, best part it was free and easy.

Gary RVRoamer 11-16-2019 09:38 AM

ABS is simple in concept. Speed sensors at the rear wheels (sometimes front too), wired to a computer that evaluates the sensor input, and a valve to modulate brake pressure. Both the computer and the brake modulator are highly reliable, but the wiring and wheel speed sensors are prone to getting broken, loose, dirty, etc. Probably 99% of ABS faults are wiring and sensors.

brandss 11-16-2019 05:16 PM

Appreciate the replies. I only posted this in hopes it might help someone out if they run into the same issue.

Ray,IN 11-16-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandss (Post 5040963)
Appreciate the replies. I only posted this in hopes it might help someone out if they run into the same issue.

Yep, many do not know;also, the sensor to tone-ring space is critical, too close-it rubs, too far away it sends a fault signal, .004" is the usual distance.

MSHappyCampers 11-18-2019 03:13 PM

Yup, I had to do that a few years back! :thumb::D

Massanutten 12-03-2019 04:39 PM

I had the same thing.The light would go on and off. I bought a scanner so I could reset. I had the sensors checked and replaced as I thought they were the problem.

I finely took to a third mechanic and had him check as the light was back on. This took place over 2 years and 20,000 plus miles. He said real breaks were cracked ! Replaced almost everything including bearings . The light has been off every since. Bottom line I think is its not always the sensors.

I can't explain why the fist guy did not see the problem when he replaced the sensors. He did what I asked . He reset and figured the sensors were the problem.

twinboat 12-03-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massanutten (Post 5062035)
I had the same thing.The light would go on and off. I bought a scanner so I could reset. I had the sensors checked and replaced as I thought they were the problem.

I finely took to a third mechanic and had him check as the light was back on. This took place over 2 years and 20,000 plus miles. He said real breaks were cracked ! Replaced almost everything including bearings . The light has been off every since. Bottom line I think is its not always the sensors.

I can't explain why the fist guy did not see the problem when he replaced the sensors. He did what I asked . He reset and figured the sensors were the problem.

Bad brake pads will not set a ABS light. Loose wheel bearings will.

Massanutten 12-04-2019 05:47 PM

I was told the vibration would as the pads were cracked and barley in place. In any case I think it pays to make sure when the light goes on to have it checked over. I drive a lot in the mountains and could not believe I could not feel the lack of brakes. I do use the low gear and go slow down the mountain roads.

gljurczyk 12-11-2019 09:04 AM

I have a question, mine started to do the same thing on my last trip. Since then I had the breaks inspected. It wonít do it all the time either, my manual says to just restart the engine, sometimes that works and sometimes no, I asked Chevy if there was a recall on this, they told me NO. They also told me it was safe to drive with the light on. I know nothing about engines to begin with. My question is it safe to drive with the light on, itís my understanding that the breaks will still work, I was told this by the Chevy service dept. it also not showing a default code. So what do you people think? Thanks in advance

brandss 12-11-2019 09:40 AM

I too was told it was safe to drive but I didn't like that answer. If you take a look at my first post you should be able to see where sensor goes into the wheel. It's not a tough job at all and it may solve your issue.

On a side note, ours started occasionally doing it at first and then it wouldn't go off. Good luck getting it resolved.

gljurczyk 12-11-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandss (Post 5071059)
I too was told it was safe to drive but I didn't like that answer. If you take a look at my first post you should be able to see where sensor goes into the wheel. It's not a tough job at all and it may solve your issue.

On a side note, ours started occasionally doing it at first and then it wouldn't go off. Good luck getting it resolved.

Okay, Iíll take a look at what you did, thanks I really donít like that answer myself. Also I canít believe that they would write that in a manual to shut off the engine and restart it as fix, come on GM

momdoc 12-11-2019 06:33 PM

For us it turned out a brake modulator had to be replaced.

gljurczyk 12-12-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 5071604)
For us it turned out a brake modulator had to be replaced.

Where you having a steady ABS light on all the time or occasional? Would it ever reset for you?