iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Overnight along I-70 in Indiana (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/overnight-along-i-70-in-indiana-469562.html)

rk911 11-24-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Cathi (Post 5051156)
We have stayed here twice. It is a pleasant park and since you are dry, you might like the bathroom https://www.rvillage.com/rv-park/152...nes-campground facilities.

the link refers to the Prairie Pines Campground in Rantoul, IL. from the photos it looks like a re-purposed piece of land....maybe a housing development that never was. looks like there are shady spots and sat. friendly open spots. we live about 3-hrs north of Rantoul and are always looking for a decent 1-3 day stay while heading home on I-57. i'd love to hear from anyone who has actually stayed here and can give a report on the place.

drdit92 11-24-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 5051255)
the link refers to the Prairie Pines Campground in Rantoul, IL. from the photos it looks like a re-purposed piece of land....maybe a housing development that never was. looks like there are shady spots and sat. friendly open spots. we live about 3-hrs north of Rantoul and are always looking for a decent 1-3 day stay while heading home on I-57. i'd love to hear from anyone who has actually stayed here and can give a report on the place.

It's actually a plot of land that was a mobile home park/base housing when the Air Force Base was in operation. It was decommissioned in the early 90s. Great use of space by the city. Not always easy finding uses for old bases.

rk911 11-24-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdit92 (Post 5051279)
It's actually a plot of land that was a mobile home park/base housing when the Air Force Base was in operation. It was decommissioned in the early 90s. Great use of space by the city. Not always easy finding uses for old bases.

after i posted i took a look at it via google earth. i came to the same conclusion. reviews on Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks confirm and it gets very high marks. wife has mobility issues so hiking, walking are out for her and sat. tv plays a part in her day. open sky sites are important and it looks like some might work.

wdgpcfr 11-25-2019 05:08 AM

Slide out freeze

I only looked over the first page of posts and didn't see this suggestion. I would avoid putting out the slide until I got south. The last thing you need is for something to freeze preventing you from retracting the slide when it is time to go. Safe travels

Vibeman 11-25-2019 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avalanchediv (Post 5050998)
Welcome! We are also from the Thumb. (Port Huron). My wife and I just drive till we get tired and use the Walmart App to pick the next one at whatever distance we wish to stop at. Never had a problem at a Walmart. They must know there is no way we can pull in and spend the night and not need something from the store...

Thanks Avalanchediv, we are only 20 miles of so from Port Huron and still not sure if we want to do the "Walmart/Cracker Barrel" thing or find RV parks every night. I have determined we can't run "wet" with our coach, too much danger of freeze up in January and I don't really want to de-winterize/re-winterize every night either, so for at least the first 2-3 nights we will be dry-camping no matter where we stay.
Thanks again to all the folks offering suggestions, this thread is a great resource for us.

Excursion04 11-25-2019 06:29 AM

I would also agree that 500 miles maybe too long a drive. We typically drive 300-350 miles a day make our over night stop sometime around 3-4PM. My favorite AP is called TruckMap believe is designed for Truckers. Shows all truck overnight stops on your route, including Walmart, also fuel stops, rest areas, and more. Since itís for truckers you avoid any low over passes. Good luck and safe trip

rk911 11-25-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vibeman (Post 5051413)
Thanks Avalanchediv, we are only 20 miles of so from Port Huron and still not sure if we want to do the "Walmart/Cracker Barrel" thing or find RV parks every night. I have determined we can't run "wet" with our coach, too much danger of freeze up in January and I don't really want to de-winterize/re-winterize every night either, so for at least the first 2-3 nights we will be dry-camping no matter where we stay.
Thanks again to all the folks offering suggestions, this thread is a great resource for us.

here’s another suggestion. when we leave for AZ in a few weeks our first night is usually in a motel with a large truck parking area. it’s just too dang cold to stsy in the MH. we use the Allstays Truck and Travel to find motels with truck parking areas.

AndyT1183 11-25-2019 07:22 AM

Garmin 770

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrilynn (Post 5044103)
Welcome to the RV experience! We are still newbies, we purchased our class A in spring of last year. Here are some things I have learned:
1. I set a limit of 300 miles per day. I had never driven an RV, and found it very tiring to drive. DH is legally blind. He helps as navigator.
2. We purchased an GPS specifically for RVís. You enter the size of your RV, and it will direct you around low bridges, or other obstacles. We purchased Garmin 770 RV.
3. We have used several apps on our iPhones that help us plan our route and find overnights stops.
RVParky
IExit
Rest Stops
OvernightRVParking
HighwayWeather
RV Trip Wizard. This is actually a website, and does cost about 40.00 per year. I found it well worth the cost. I use it to plan our route, and find RV Parks. I make reservations in advance of our trip.
Wishing you safe travel and a lovely winter in South Texas.

Cannot say enogh good about the Garmin 770 unit.

dottedlines 11-25-2019 07:25 AM

This is a great place to get info and do research, welcome!
This will be our 4th yr heading south to warmer pastures. We leave within days after Christmas after monitoring the projected weather along our route. Two winters ago we were planning S Texas for a month then on to Arizona, ended up changing plans after Harvey hit that area.
We also live in Michigan a few hrs south of you. Our route was through Lansing and then as straight south as we could get. I-70 can get hit with snow and ice in Jan and we were hoping to unwinterize by Tennessee. We gave ourselves 5 days to reach Phoenix and got to El Paso in about 3 days. It was cold all across that route, no snow or ice though.
Sleep at various spots, rest areas, truck stops, Cracker Barrel’s whatever is available when we are ready to stop. Prefer traveling between 9 and 4 with multiple stops, but adjust as needed. We both drive MH which allows for longer distance if needed.
Use Next Exit book as a good reference for what is possible when ready to stop.
So, I would recommend watching weather trends closely and maybe take 69, then 65 to 40 to 30 which intersects with 20 near Dallas.
The fun begins when we pull out of driveway, always pack your humor and patience.....it’s an adventure and we love it!
We also carry along an electric blanket that we heat up with generator on for a short time to stay warm on ride south

jrjacks 11-25-2019 09:40 AM

We left SW Michigan 3 weeks ago and had snow thru Indiana. I agree 500 miles is an aggressive plan, especially if you run into these conditions. We are members of Harvest Hosts and did our first on at a winery just across the Illinois line from Terre Haute. It was Castle Finn in Marshall, IL. Parking was easy and level and the hosts were wonderful. If you are not familiar with Harvest Host, they have a low membership fee and there are thousands of markets, wineries, golf courses etc. that allow RV'ers to stay free of charge.

Harry Joe 11-25-2019 10:24 AM

Let me inject a bit of heresy. Iím from NE MI and I to go south in January or Feb. We head south when the weather permits and stay at a hotel or two until the temps get in the 30s. Because youíre in an RV doesnít mean that you canít use it like a car sometimes. Just sayín.
Harry

Crazy Dave 11-25-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vibeman (Post 5045442)
Thanks, I never heard of Blue Beacon but I will check them out.

Blue Beacon is the name of the Truck Wash found at the bigger, larger Truck Stops. Check their website for locations

craigbenoit 11-25-2019 02:56 PM

I 69 Michigan & I 70 Indiana

We traveled both I 69 from the Canadian Border to Charlotte MI and I70 through Indiana this past spring and summer with our 40 ft. diesel air ride bus. I69 through and around Lansing was one of the roughest roads we have ever encountered. Next April when we go back to Spartan in Charlotte MI I will use secondary roads rather than I69. I had to go through the bus with a screwdriver and tighten things up.

I 70 through Indiana was rough also with large gaps in the seams between lanes and deep potholes. With a car we could have missed a few but with the bus it's different.

Based on road conditions I suggest planning shorter drives and allowing more time so you can be comfortable using lower speeds.

Effingham was an interesting week long layover (repairs, waiting for parts). Boos Blocks (high end wood cutting boards and counter tops) their factory outlet right in Effingham. Arthur IL was an interesting Amish town, and Mid America Motor Works (restoration supplier for Corvettes and Volkswagen Air
Head powered vehicles.) Mid America has week long gathering for both vintage volks and corvettes. We caught their Volkswagen event in the spring.

It's not a vacation, it's a lifestyle.

craigbenoit 11-25-2019 03:17 PM

Fuel Cost

Before you depart:

If your coach is a diesel contact

TSD Logistics
Tara Rape
Accounts Payable
Direct: 903-831-8944
Cell Phone: 903-748-6896
Office: 800-426-7110 x125
Fax: 903-831-8994

7970 Hampton Road | Texarkana, TX 75503

They offer access to their fuel purchase program with EFS that will get you $.30 to $.40 per gallon discount at LOVES, Flying J and Pilot. This is the same fuel purchase program that their fleet utilixes.

Their is a Forum on IRV2 specifically about this program. The benefit to TST is increased gallonage that enables them to negotiate larger discounts for their fleet and us. This program is really helpful when purchasing fuel at the major truck stops.

No - their are absolutely NO commercial Truckers paying those ridiculous posted prices. They would be out of business in a month if they did.

You can match thier prices at off highway local independent fuel stations but it is a real convivence on long trips using major interstates.

PS: Family Motor Coach Association just got wind of this program and are now offering a similar one.