iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Tire balance (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tire-balance-469756.html)

Snapp 11-20-2019 04:55 PM

Tire balance

Opinions or experiences with spin balance compared to bead balancing on 22.5 wheels mounted on the front.

bborc 11-20-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapp (Post 5046129)
Opinions or experiences with spin balance compared to bead balancing on 22.5 wheels mounted on the front.

I have had it done both ways on two different set of tires and both ways were smooth.

wimpy 11-20-2019 05:53 PM

Is there a preferred brand of bead balancing?

grindstone01 11-20-2019 06:10 PM

Don't waste your $$ with tire balancing unless you have a known vibration issue while driving.

Crasher 11-20-2019 06:16 PM

I have used beads on the rear tires with success. On two coaches, I could not get a good enough balance on the steer tire with the beads. The spin balance worked perfectly. Those who have the Centramatic rings have been very happy.

asuperheat 11-20-2019 06:59 PM

I have used Beads in the back, they work. I have not had great spin balance luck on my RV but most of that was the tires. I currently have Centermatics on the steer and the drive axles, I like them and prefer them to beads and spin balance.

Tireman9 11-20-2019 07:13 PM

IMO Neither "beads" nore Centermatic" would be as desirable alternative to spin balancing the front tires on the vehicle - IF YOU HAVE A RIDE PROBLEM.

Both of those methods might work after you are up to highway speed BUT that also both can mask any vibration warning of possible tire separation which sometimes can be felt as vibration before the separation grows into a tire failure.

FIRE UP 11-20-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Snapp,
First off, it's EXTREMELY RARE that a tire, ANY TIRE, of any size, can be mounted and run down the road, without SOME FORM of balancing. Some need less and some, well, need diving weights on them in order run smooth. I've been a regular "lead weight" type of balance guy for decades. I was skeptical about bead or powder etc. type balancing. Well, I thought I'd try them on my present set of tires, Yokohama 265 75 22.5" RY-103 LRG tires. And, so far, with around 6,000 or 7,000 miles on them, I'm real happy.

And I'm not one of those that SKIMPS on cost. I do ALL SIX tires. Out of balance, is out of balance, no matter what position a tire sits on, in an RV application. So, mechanical balance or beads, I can go with either one.
Scott

PKI 11-20-2019 08:13 PM

More info, please. Best should be dynamic balancing with Centramatics as a backup trim mechanism. The bead balance is not to be ignored, but I really am challenged to believe it is a best practice. So, convince me .... Pat

Dutch Star Don 11-20-2019 08:43 PM

I've been running Centramatics for the last 7 years. At minimum, add them to the front. They work best if the tire is balanced with lead weights and then install the Centramatics. Florida Shores Truck Center has the best price and quickest shipping on Centramatics.

I disagree with the Tireman about the masking of issues. Tread separations are infrequent and can still be felt and seen, as bulges or flat spots in the tread. I'm willing to use the Centarmatics, get an exceptional ride and not worry that sometime in the next seven years, there MIGHT be a tire issue.

marjoa 11-20-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 5046390)
I've been running Centramatics for the last 7 years. At minimum, add them to the front. They work best if the tire is balanced with lead weights and then install the Centramatics.

Agreed. It's the best balancing solution for FTer's when you're on the road a lot. There are always nay sayers towards things that work.

There's actually a recent article here on this forum about these:
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/dynamic-tire-balancers/

jackreno 11-20-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Centermatic and spin balance works for me

Spin balance lets the tire installer know if the tire/rim is out of round or installed wrong, if lots of weights are needed than something is wrong.

Dutch Star Don 11-20-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5046419)
Centermatic and spin balance works for me

Spin balance lets the tire installer know if the tire/rim is out of round or installed wrong, if lots of weights are needed than something is wrong.

Good point....if a lot of weight is needed, as compared to other tires, have the installer break the bead and spin the tire 180 degrees. If no improvement, select another tire.

grindstone01 11-21-2019 07:43 AM

So what happens with your balanced tire when it gets stones embedded in the threads or between tires? :)
?https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Fv8zCwlHaXJg&s