iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Generator caveat emptor (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/generator-caveat-emptor-469976.html)

followingsea 11-22-2019 06:48 PM

Generator caveat emptor

Is this my $88 HF 800 watt generator?

1200 W SINGLE CYLINDER GAS POWERED PORTABLE EPA GASOLINE GENERATOR

https://www.dealsdot.com/products/12...ng%20campaigns
Sure looks like it.

Here is a lower price with better marketing: https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Gasoli.../dp/B073S5LV3B

Most consumer reviews consist of some idiot comparing claims on the box of different generators. In one video, the HF generator was torn apart and inspected for quality.. This leads me to believe that they are all the same 63cc generator that has been around for 10 years under different names.

The worse thing I have done to it is use to cut firewood with an electric chainsaw and it will trip the overload if push it too hard.

Voltage regulation (droop) is not good. With a small load it is 120 volts at 60 hz. At 50% it may be 100 VAC. What I do crank up the engine speed to 140 VAC and 66 hz and then connect the MH. The fridge will shift to AC automatically and drop the speed to about 60 hz. After a delay the batteries start to charge.
While watching my power meter I then keep adjusting the speed to get 800 to 900 watts.
So could I get 1200 watts? I have not tried because if I need more power I would use my Onan. I suspect I could. I would use a space heater while not connected to the MH because that would make it easier to control power.

The first risk damaging my old $100 HF genny. No big deal but if it fails it might also damage the MH systems.
Aside from an interesting to me science project, it might show that marketing claims are correct. Of course buyers should beware when they are paying a premium price.

Spdracr39 11-25-2019 06:04 AM

If you ran that weed eater next to my camper [Mod Edit] so I hope you are boondocking.:facepalm:

twinboat 11-25-2019 07:25 AM

Hey, its relatively quiet at 91 dB.

85dB Beginning of hearing damage range, earplugs should be worn

100dB Normal average car or house stereo at maximum volume

Best spot for it is in a 4' deep hole. Then fill it in.

followingsea 11-27-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5051513)
Hey, its relatively quiet at 91 dB.

I agree that is an example of deceptive marketing.

Which is the whole point of this post. Just because it says something on the box does not make it worth more money. For example paying more for a 1200 watt machine when it is a 800 watt.

As far as hearing protection, it is not needed. In the navy and at power plants I wore hearing protection. I do not stand next to the genny when it is running.

followingsea 11-27-2019 01:11 PM

Maybe you can explain why some folks with DP are worried about noise other people make.

One of the reasons I avoid RV parks is the amount of time you hear idling diesels.

Just for the record I use a push broom and a leaf rake. Sometimes it is necessary to replace muscle power with an ICE.

cavie 11-27-2019 01:21 PM

1200 watt is surge not run. 4' hole is not deep enough.

followingsea 11-27-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavie (Post 5054605)
1200 watt is surge not run. 4' hole is not deep enough.

What does that mean? Have you tested this generator with your some of your 'master electrician' tool?

Of course not, who would spend thousands of dollars to test a $100 generator?

I have tested nuclear power plants to show they can produce what the vendor claimed.

I have tested my HF model and it delivers what is claimed.

The criteria for my purchase of a generator is that it supplies the power I need, it is not too heavy for me to lift, and it will fit in my basement storage compartment.

The reason for buyers to be wary is that they may pay more based marketing claims.

cavie 11-28-2019 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by followingsea (Post 5054693)
What does that mean? Have you tested this generator with your some of your 'master electrician' tool?

Of course not, who would spend thousands of dollars to test a $100 generator?

I have tested nuclear power plants to show they can produce what the vendor claimed.

I have tested my HF model and it delivers what is claimed.

The criteria for my purchase of a generator is that it supplies the power I need, it is not too heavy for me to lift, and it will fit in my basement storage compartment.

The reason for buyers to be wary is that they may pay more based marketing claims.

All generators are listed as XXXX watts, at least the one's I have had my hands on and a few more I have read about, that is the surge wattage. Not the running wattage. The 4' remark was sarcastic to a previous post. It's not much of a generator.

Kurtsara 11-28-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by followingsea (Post 5054594)
Maybe you can explain why some folks with DP are worried about noise other people make.

One of the reasons I avoid RV parks is the amount of time you hear idling diesels.

Just for the record I use a push broom and a leaf rake. Sometimes it is necessary to replace muscle power with an ICE.

What is ICE?

HISSSSS 11-28-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtsara (Post 5055350)
What is ICE?

Internal Combustion Engine in this instance.

Kurtsara 11-28-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HISSSSS (Post 5055883)
Internal Combustion Engine in this instance.

Thanks, why don't they just say that to begin with?

Redapple 11-28-2019 06:14 PM

26 characters versus 3

followingsea 11-28-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavie (Post 5055300)
It's not much of a generator.

It gets the job done, what do want it to do whistle Dixie?

I was reading another tread where a poster stated that my Cummins ISB does not have enough HP. Yet it gets the job done in a lot of MH.

A generator first needs an engine to provide enough power to not stall when load is added.

Loads like my TV, battery charger, and propane/electric do not have high starting current.

Second a generator needs conductors large enough to not overheat at rated current.

So it is possible to get more power (watts) my increasing voltage thus lowering amps assuming the engine can deliver the power.

When choosing generator for an RV, starting an AC unit is a challenge because of the starting current of induction motor. The ICE in my Onan has the muscle to do that.

Here is the problem. My Onan is 'too much' generator for just charging the batteries. Not enough load is a complicated issue but marketing too big a generator can also cost more for the consumer.

My Onan has a logic control card, solid state voltage regulations, and solid state speed regulation. Each of these cost several hundred dollars to fix if you have the skill to trouble shoot and repair yourself.

Bottom line is a $100 HF generator is fine for charging batteries. Another $20 in a power meter will help a consumer check voltage, frequency, and power will help you check that you are not going damage your loads.

HISSSSS 11-28-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redapple (Post 5056135)
26 characters versus 3

Yep, just about every group has their own MLAs (Multiple Letter Acronyms) to keep typing down to a minimum and this inadvertently also acts as a confusion factor for those that haven't learned what they mean. You can always use a web site that provides acronym lists to get up to speed, most of the time: S&B and DW didn't pop up on the ones I tried so eventually I figured out what they are to the RV forums.