iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Propane oil? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/propane-oil-471029.html)

Ray,IN 12-22-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KanzKran (Post 5079603)
And here's the notice from the DOT putting the 10-year requalification on hold until the rule change is more thoroughly vetted. There's some question on just exactly how the 12-year requalification rule got changed to 10 years, or more specifically, what the justification was, if any.

I don't know what, if anything, has happened since. I suspect it will revert to 12 years, permanently, but that's just a suspicion based on decades of seeing what goes on behind the curtain on other committees and code making panels and such.

https://www.npga.org/wp-content/uploa...cation-....pdf

Apparently this is not cut n dried.
This quote is from https://www.tedjohnsonpropane.com/pr...s/propane-faq/

" NFPA pamphlet 58 states that all DOT cylinders need to be recertified after 12 years from the manufacturing date and depending on what certifying method is used they are recertified every 5,7,12 years thereafter. Recertification involves a periodical documented inspection and testing of the cylinder to confirm that the cylinder is still safe and legal to remain in service."

richard5933 12-23-2019 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSOUZA (Post 5083369)
...If what I think I see is correct, I recommend a rework of the plumbing where the regulator is placed as high in the compartment as practical above the top tank, with low pressure hose dropping straight down to the new drip leg and then looping back up into the existing plumbing. The drip leg should be at the bottom of the loop. Gravity does the work of collecting the oil and that is why the drip leg must be below the level of the regulator.

Could I accomplish anything by turning the elbow on the output of the regulator to point downward, and then adding a loop of hose between the elbow and the existing copper pipe (shown covered in blue wrap)? That would create a drip loop immediately past the regulator.

Tim-n-Gina 12-23-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard5933 (Post 5084050)
Could I accomplish anything by turning the elbow on the output of the regulator to point downward, and then adding a loop of hose between the elbow and the existing copper pipe (shown covered in blue wrap)? That would create a drip loop immediately past the regulator.

Ok, first consider that all I know about propane I have learned from reading this extremely informative thread.

Simply turning the elbow and adding a looped hose would create a sump that is not easily drainable and any collected oil would be in the line of flow and could eventually find its way up into the hard plumbing.

The best case scenario would be to turn the regulator so it's output points straight down, then replace the elbow with a tee to create a drip leg that could be drained.

By far the simplest solution plumbing-wise would be to replace the regulator output elbow with a short pipe nipple and tee positioned vertically so that the top of the tee could be connected to the existing hardline plumbing and the bottom would be a sump to collect condensed or dropped out oil that could then be drained with a petcock.

The whole point here is to allow any dropped out or condensed oil leaving the regulator to be gravity fed into a drainable sump which is outside the flow of propane to your expensive appliances.

From studying the picture of Richard5933's propane installation, I would guess that there is a second regulator outside the scope of the picture, above the upper tank just as the pictured regulator is above the lower tank and that the low pressure output plumbing are connected together before distributing into the RV.

PSOUZA 12-23-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard5933 (Post 5084050)

Pretty much what Tim-n-Gina said. I would add emphasis on turning the regulator so the output port points down, and that the connection to the drip leg is at the lowest point in the line.

The placing of the regulator above the level of the tank is not vital to oil entrapment, simply precautionary against theoretically discouraging liquid entering the regulator.

Phil

richard5933 12-23-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim-n-Gina (Post 5084233)
...By far the simplest solution plumbing-wise would be to replace the regulator output elbow with a short pipe nipple and tee positioned vertically so that the top of the tee could be connected to the existing hardline plumbing and the bottom would be a sump to collect condensed or dropped out oil that could then be drained with a petcock. ...

From studying the picture of Richard5933's propane installation, I would guess that there is a second regulator outside the scope of the picture, above the upper tank just as the pictured regulator is above the lower tank and that the low pressure output plumbing are connected together before distributing into the RV.

I was thinking about something similar as well, but I didn't include the drain petcock. Makes more sense than what I mentioned earlier.

There is actually only the one regulator in this installation. It's a two-stage regulator fed by both tanks. The output feeds just one appliance, the propane furnace. Of course there is a regulator on the input of the furnace itself.

This system has been in place since 1974, and has worked well till now. The tanks used to be plumbed with copper tubing to the regulator, but I replaced those with flexible hoses to make it easier to pull the tanks when necessary. I'm hesitant to make major changes to the plumbing system other than what's necessary, so I think that I'll work on a way to add the tee and drainable sump to aid in the removal of any oil that might drop out or condense.

mgnorris 12-23-2019 12:58 PM

Too much thought about basicly nothing

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSOUZA (Post 5084419)
Pretty much what Tim-n-Gina would add emphasis on turning the regulator so the output port points down, and that the connection to the drip leg is at the lowest point in the line.

The placing of the regulator above the level of the tank is not vital to oil entrapment, simply precautionary against theoretically discouraging liquid entering the regulator.

Phil

All this has led me to one conclusion. If you are concerned about oil from your propane source, go to a propane or RV dealer and have them address the issue. This is not a “self repair” or “home brew” fix.
Any service to your propane tank or associated fuel lines needs to be done by a “compitant and insured “ provider. If not, you risk your insurance coverage, your life, and anyone within the blast/fire zone.
Why do you think the put propane detectors in r.v. Units? They are there for your safety, but also for the manufacturer’s protection. Modifying a line for a drip leg may create a vibration point that may cause a leak.

PSOUZA 12-23-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgnorris (Post 5084458)
All this has led me to one conclusion. If you are concerned about oil from your propane source, go to a propane or RV dealer and have them address the issue. This is not a “self repair” or “home brew” fix.

:bow: All opinions are welcome, and your concerns about safety are valid. Having said that.....:rofl:...It is very obvious you have never had to rely on those experts to find a solution for the problems that have been discussed.

Those self-same expert (types) are where our problems originated (manufacturers) because they do not understand the nature of the the problem. (or care) The folks who have read, and understand what has been discussed here are better informed.

Have you ever actually been to a propane dealer for this problem? Have you ever had a RV dealer work on your propane system to solve this problem, or anything else, for that matter? Try it and come back and tell us how it went. I don't believe you understand the actual competence level of a large number of the businesses that serve us.:facepalm:

Phil :) There are those who can....and those who kvetch.

richard5933 12-23-2019 07:50 PM

With those last few comments, I think that I'll leave well enough alone. It's worked for 45 years without problem. When I replaced the hoses and regulator there was no oil in sight, so I guess no need to spend time worrying over this. I had a thought that maybe it was worthwhile to add a small safety factor, but I'll save that for the next time I have reason to open the LP plumbing.

Thanks to all and have a great holiday!

rlott2k 12-24-2019 04:29 PM

Propane oil?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Should have been propane stoves... :)

Piros1 01-01-2020 08:51 PM

Interesting to say the least but informative. Did the OP ever resolve his issue, I have read through the post and he either bowed out or is totally confused. Lol

PSOUZA 01-02-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piros1 (Post 5095064)
Interesting to say the least but informative. Did the OP ever resolve his issue, I have read through the post and he either bowed out or is totally confused. Lol

By post #7 he had received a short consensus that was rational and
should have satisfied him.

Confused much passed that....for sure.

Phil

vanman250 01-02-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSOUZA (Post 5095204)
By post #7 he had received a short consensus that was rational and
should have satisfied him.

Confused much passed that....for sure.

Phil

That can’t be right be my answer wasn’t in the first seven posts :D

PSOUZA 01-02-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanman250 (Post 5095382)
That can’t be right be my answer wasn’t in the first seven posts :D

Ah, but your timing was impeccable, and you missed being targeted by Darth Vader, accusing us of conspiring to blow up the world. :dance:

Phil